READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is happening to me too!! I deleted and downloaded, restarted my phone. But My husband and I both have iPhone 6 and recently updated the app and it keeps crashing when we try to join. I did a chat on the APP to let them know about it. She said she can report it but it probably wouldn't be fixed by our trip (august 16). :( SO we are totally screwed. Its our only devices. And we only have 1 day at Hollywood studios, and never have rode the ride.

So here is my story ...

I had been practicing at home with my iPhone 6 before our trip from Aug 3-8 and had no issues. Granted, I was busy the weekend of the last update (7/31) so I had no clue what was headed our way on Aug 4th at HS.

Arrive at HS on Aug 4th. Get into the park around 9:15am. Head to MMRR and finished at 9:50am. Perfect timing to sit on a bench with my family as we try to snag ROTR. DH had is iPhone6, dd had her iPod. All of our devices crashed. Repeatedly crashed. I am beyond frustrated. I hear screams of excitement from others around me as they get boarding groups. My heart sinks. I keep trying, knowing the boarding groups are gone, but all our phones keep going back to home screen when we hit JOIN.

Time to head to blue umbrellas. Ugh .... the line was longer than SDD. DH knew waiting in that would only make my blood boil even more, so he suggested we ride MFSR and then return to the blue umbrellas. He made the right call. We were hoping to unlock Chewbacca mode on SR, but according to the CM you needed all 6 people. Party of 3 ... out of luck. HS is kicking our butt this morning. I need a drink and it isn't even 10:40am. :(

And then the blue umbrella to the rescue!

Line was considerably less by the time we finish MFSR. Once I explain our situation to the CM, he looks at our phones/settings, looks at our magic bands and what time we got into the park, etc. Then tells us it is the update that I was unaware of on 7/31 that is causing the crash. He says even though I need a new phone (he was joking) it wasn't my fault it kept crashing. He gave us a ride anytime pass for ROTR. I asked him if this was going to be the same situation on Friday 8/7 as we had park reservation that day too, and he tells us unless they do another update, yes. And we would have to go to the blue umbrella again.

Thursday morning arrives, I check my phone for updates, there was one. However, the system still crashes. Here we go again.

Of course, all of us try again at 10am to show proof and it crashes. Back to the GET.

This time at the blue umbrella's (after riding ToT and RNR) we show our phones again, do the same song and dance. I didn't mention our Tuesday situation as I didn't feel it was important -- until the CM told us to try again at 2pm. What the ... ?!?! :sad2: That is when I explain we know the deal with older iPhones and the recent MDE update. She goes into a song and dance about Apple is to blame. Lady, I don't care if it is Apple or MDE, just honor the fact that we rightfully tried to get a boarding group and the system crashed to no fault of our own at 10am. Why do I need to try again at 2pm knowing it’s going to crash? My iPhone 6 isn’t going to magically work in a few hours! That is bologna. She then takes pics of the inside of my magic band (why, idk. if anyone knows please share) and reluctantly gives us a boarding group, 25. I still don't understand why she was so hesitant. I worked with the public, I know you catch more flies with honey. I guess she didn't like that I knew about the known issue. :confused3 I seriously don't know, but I didn't let it ruin my day. We got on around 1:00pm (it was down for a while that morning) and all ended well.

For those with older iPhone's keep checking that iOS and MDE is updated. Make sure you are in the park before 10am. Try to get a boarding pass. If it crashes, go to the blue umbrellas. They will help you out.

Last edited:
We were hoping to unlock Chewbacca mode on SR, but according to the CM you needed all 6 people. Party of 3 ... out of luck. HS is kicking our butt this morning. I need a drink and it isn't even 10:40am.
We have 6 and my 15yo was all geeked out about this Chewy mode. Like I was under penalty of death if I did it wrong. Honestly, the only thing I noticed that was different was you heard Chewy make a noise after everyone hit the appropriate buttons. Even the 15yo didn't notice anything else. So you didn't miss much!

We have 6 and my 15yo was all geeked out about this Chewy mode. Like I was under penalty of death if I did it wrong. Honestly, the only thing I noticed that was different was you heard Chewy make a noise after everyone hit the appropriate buttons. Even the 15yo didn't notice anything else. So you didn't miss much!

Thanks! Good to know. It was my DD who really wanted Chewy mode. She had us repeat the sequence of events on how to engage it in the queue. 🤣

PLEASE do not share ANY details of the ride here!!! At least 2 posts this evening have given information that those of us trying to avoid spoilers don’t want to know about. Thanks!!

In case anyone in wondering. There were 64 groups called today. We got Backup Group 63 at the 2pm window.
Glad you made it on!!! The park was definitely quieter in the last couple hours after the rain started—got a lot of “empty park” photos of my kids exploring Batuu.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had several successful practice sessions at 10:00 am the past few days. Every time I've tried at 2:00 pm, I haven't been fast enough. By the time I clicked through the process, I get a message saying that the BG are already full (within seconds after 2:00 pm).

Today I was successful at 2:00 pm for the first time. I made it to "Not so fast" message. I went back for a second attempt but, of course, they were all gone by then. Still seemed to be only about 30 seconds tops before they are gone.

I imagine it doesn't help that the later distribution time(s) means fewer people missing the "drop" because they overslept, etc. Plus, it appears that they're distributing fewer total BGs daily (unreliability of the ride coupled with lower number of total people in the park?).

Got BG 5 today. Fourth time on (I think, maybe #5), first since the re-opening and it’s still exciting. :D No other attraction was this much fun this many rides in. We arrived via car at 9:25, took about ten mn to get to our parking spot. Long line for temp check- made it in at 9:52. Line for MMRR was already 70mn. BG 5 was supposedly called at 10:04 as we had til 11:04 to return. But I was looking at the app at 10:04 and it said BG 1-2. A few mn later it said not boarding. Then it went back to 1-2, then by the time we got off ToT it showed we’d been called. No breakdowns and all elements were working. CM did their best to stay in character but it’s harder with shields and the new protocols.

We were about to take my grandboys on AS2 but stood in stroller parking for 2 min to get our BG today. DD25 logged in to my account right before 10 and snagged us BG8, beat me to it!
Really love the CMs, so in character, so much fun. :)
2 for 2!

Anyone else having the virtual queue crash and close the app when trying to join on an apple device?
If you are using the latest version of the MDE app version 6.2.1 Build: 20200731.2 and have an older iPhone like an iPhone 6 there have been reports of the app crashing. Disney is aware of the issue.

Dave

Well after our Disney Cruise got cancelled which was paired with our first trip to Disneyland, we've pivoted from Batuu West to Batuu East. I was pretty devastated to only have been a few weeks away back in March from getting to SWGE and hopefully ROTR. Now starting to practice again with the new screens on the app. Can't wait! 48 days to go! Thank you all for your tips in this thread. I went back and read about the last 70 pages or so since the reopening. What a rollercoaster...

Today was my second HS day this trip and so far I've managed to get BG1 and BG9. Both times I've been out of the ride before 11, so I could not be happier. As a side note, right after ROR I tried Oga's Cantina for the first time and it was awesome! The charcuterie sampler was surprisingly very good. What an amazing day all around.

Anyway, as I was wandering around I kept hearing people blaming each other for not getting a boarding group, so here's what I do in case it helps anyone. At 9:57 or so I check that my phone is perfectly synchronized with the official time from time.gov. I stay in this site until around 9:59:15 when I switch to MDE. I don't think I've closed the app in over a week lol so that's a non-factor, at least for me. As soon as my phone turns 10:00 I click on the Join bottom from the main menu, then I click on Join again, then I select my party and confirm. I don't use Wifi and always stay at the same spot where there's nobody in at least a 150ft radius. Disclaimer: I have a new iPhone SE and it's blazing fast, there's no way I would have been as successful with my good old Motorola. Good luck!

If you are using the latest version of the MDE app version 6.2.1 Build: 20200731.2 and have an older iPhone like an iPhone 6 there have been reports of the app crashing. Disney is aware of the issue.

Dave
Yes! I finally got my boyfriend to start "practicing" joining at home and his iphone crashes as soon as he hits the Rise of The Resistance page. I thought he was the only one, as I hadn't heard anyone else complain about it. I hope they can fix it before we leave for Disney.

Tomorrow is the day for us! We were supposed to go for spring break in March and we’re 4 days away from leaving when the closure was announced. I practiced like crazy leading up to March and again the past couple of weeks. Plan to drive and arrive between 9 and 9:05, fingers crossed we get a boarding group!

Good luck! Let us know how you do!

I feel like I just jinxed myself

Was joking with my friend, who's not much of a Disney person, but a huge SW fan, saying how I'll be buying all the drinks if we get a BG number when he comes down (He came to visit last year shortly after GE opened, but hasn't been since Rise opened). He asked how many times have I been shutout. Told him never.

I think I just hosed myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter