READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some stats from our day. This was our 4th day in a row going for a BG.
7:15- left BWV
7:35- through and tapped in using fingerprint

We waited by Toy Story land to get a BG.
8:00- opening the app and snagged BG9! This was the 2nd group of the day. We were all super excited but managed to keep it to ourselves.
8:47-group called
9:00- entered queue
9:31- off the ride. Everything working. Still amazing, even though we rode it 4 days in a row.

the logistics of our morning worked out just perfect. We rope dropped TSM with a less than 20 minute wait. Then we used our Slinky Dog FP, then our BG was called, then we used our Star Tours FP. All this was done in 2 hours. So lucky to have such a great experience this morning and every day this trip.
Our 4 boarding groups were;
23 (20th of the day)
7 (5th of the day)
13 (4th of the day)
9 (2nd of the day)
It was my iPhone 11 Pro with the updated MDE app that got the BG all 4 days. We stood in 4 different places, all WiFi 4 bars and using Verizon data.
Thanks to all who helped with this thread. Couldn’t have done it with

Can you share your steps? Did you have the Red "Join Boarding Group" button instantly each time or had to go with the "My status" route?

What's the latest version, 5.8.1 Build 20200211.1 ?
Not sure of the build. It is the 5.8.1 update. I was there last week when the 5.8.0 pushed, and disappointment is an understatement for that magical experience. Looks like they may have really gotten the bugs worked out😀
Edit..just figured out how to check the buld, and yes it is

Last edited:
Not sure of the build. It is the 5.8.1 update. I was there last week when the 5.8.0 pushed, and disappointment is an understatement for that magical experience. Looks like they may have really gotten the bugs worked out😀
Edit..just figured out how to check the buld, and yes it is
Just got it. Works much better and faster! Thanks!

Can you share your steps? Did you have the Red "Join Boarding Group" button instantly each time or had to go with the "My status" route?
Sure!

app was always closed and everything else on my phone was closed. I checked to make sure everyone was in my party about 10 mins before 8. Then at 7:59:57 I opened the app. Day 1 the Join Boarding Group button was grey, so I quickly closed the app and went back in, got 23 that day. The other 3 days, the Join Boarding Group button was red and I was in.
My wife had her phone going too and she would open the app about 5 sec after me, but I was always in so we didn’t end up needing hers. My DD12 was going helping too, but her phone is older and it wasn’t running that well. Although she did screenshot her issue in case we needed it.

I know there’s really no way of knowing how any particular day will be, but I just kind of want to check plans for possibly doing ROTR on Sunday. Minnie Van from Yacht Club around 6:45 to get to DHS (7:15 arrival?). Get into the park, go for BG at 8am. What are my chances of getting a boarding group that will actually be called that day? What if my time is called during something like Fantasmic! (for which we are doing the Brown Derby + Fantasmic! Package)?

We’ll still have a couple more days at WDW where I could try again on Tuesday or something...

Just a comment from our experience yesterday: our boarding group was called around 7:35pm, so we did not see the 8:00 shows (and unfortunately the ride broke down again, so we were filling out forms etc at 8:00). We were told late afternoon that we would be notified by 7:00 if they didn’t expect our boarding group to be called. So we had to make a decision to see Fantasmic (we actually were planning to see the Star Wars 8:00 show) or wait for our boarding group when we didn’t hear anything by 7:00. Of course we chose to wait for our BG to be called.

Are there any videos out there showing how to get a boarding group in the app? Preferably one that shows the trick of hitting “find out more” at 8:00 (and juggling/refreshing the app by clicking on my status if the button isn’t red yet). I’ve practiced it myself atHome a couple times at 8am but I want to show my wife and kids without having to wait for 8am.
Just bumping my question since no one responded. I tried looking on YouTube but got a bunch of 20-30 minute long videos that didn’t really show the process of using the app.

One last comment about our experience yesterday: we were excited to ride ROTR and arrived early, waited with the crowds, lucky enough to get a BG number but not lucky enough to get a low number. Boarding was delayed so we rode our one FastPass ride, took pics with Star Wars characters (short line at 8:05) and then headed over to EPCOT til Noon. We came back to HS and saw a bunch of shows to “kill time” til our BG called. I forgot how much fun the Frozen singalong show was so that was fun. The uncertainty of when our BG would be called made for a very long day. We couldn’t really plan to do things due to the uncertainty of the day. We had to skip the evening show when our boarding group was called. And then we didn’t get to experience the ride when it broke down again. We knew the day might go like this but we would have had a much more enjoyable Disney day if we would have never tried to ride ROTR. We’re not angry but we’re also not going to go through this lottery/uncertain process again. Too many other enjoyable ways to spend a day at Disney.

One last comment about our experience yesterday: we were excited to ride ROTR and arrived early, waited with the crowds, lucky enough to get a BG number but not lucky enough to get a low number. Boarding was delayed so we rode our one FastPass ride, took pics with Star Wars characters (short line at 8:05) and then headed over to EPCOT til Noon. We came back to HS and saw a bunch of shows to “kill time” til our BG called. I forgot how much fun the Frozen singalong show was so that was fun. The uncertainty of when our BG would be called made for a very long day. We couldn’t really plan to do things due to the uncertainty of the day. We had to skip the evening show when our boarding group was called. And then we didn’t get to experience the ride when it broke down again. We knew the day might go like this but we would have had a much more enjoyable Disney day if we would have never tried to ride ROTR. We’re not angry but we’re also not going to go through this lottery/uncertain process again. Too many other enjoyable ways to spend a day at Disney.

That is what I am worried about. We are a large multi generational group and none of us are even remotely Star Wars fans. It’s going to be hard to coordinate ourselves and more challenging to get a BG with having to select so many names. I do feel like this ride sounds awesome though and it worth the ride even for Non- Star Wars people.

We have two both HS days - one pre MMRR and one post MMRR. Oddly I am way more excited for MMRR and we do have a FP for that. We are planning on afternoon breaks both days. I’m wondering if it’s even worthwhile to go through the stress of trying to get a boarding group, then waiting around all day for the possibility of maybe getting called. Or just scrapping that plan all together and enjoying our days otherwise. We do go annually so we will presumably be able to ride it next year. On the other hand, I feel like while I am there I really should at least try ? My FOMO is real...

That is what I am worried about. We are a large multi generational group and none of us are even remotely Star Wars fans. It’s going to be hard to coordinate ourselves and more challenging to get a BG with having to select so many names. I do feel like this ride sounds awesome though and it worth the ride even for Non- Star Wars people.

We have two both HS days - one pre MMRR and one post MMRR. Oddly I am way more excited for MMRR and we do have a FP for that. We are planning on afternoon breaks both days. I’m wondering if it’s even worthwhile to go through the stress of trying to get a boarding group, then waiting around all day for the possibility of maybe getting called. Or just scrapping that plan all together and enjoying our days otherwise. We do go annually so we will presumably be able to ride it next year. On the other hand, I feel like while I am there I really should at least try ? My FOMO is real...
yep, worth it

Here at the park now! Arrived at 6:40AM and they let us in at 7:00AM. In line for SDD. I was kind of dissapointed they lined us up for SDD. I was hoping there would be a mob I could squeeze my way to the front of 😅

Did they walk you all the way up to the attraction itself, or are you just queued up further back somewhere?

Honestly, if you aren‘t a Star Wars fan, it may not be worth it. My daughter (12) said it was only ok. It wasn’t her favourite ride, even in Hollywood Studios. We loved it, but we knew the characters and the story.

It may not be worth the aggravation and anxiety for your family, or at least for those who are not Star Wars fans.

If you're going to be stressed and anxious about it, i wouldn't do it. If you go into it with realistic expectations, knowing you might not get to ride and knowing you can still enjoy your day, then go for it. Nothing at wdw is worth stressing out over.

Honestly, if you aren‘t a Star Wars fan, it may not be worth it. My daughter (12) said it was only ok. It wasn’t her favourite ride, even in Hollywood Studios. We loved it, but we knew the characters and the story.

It may not be worth the aggravation and anxiety for your family, or at least for those who are not Star Wars fans.

Thanks for this - We truly know zero about Star Wars besides the names of some of the more recognizable characters. But I also know nothing about Avatar, and totally love Pandora with FOP being my favourite ride. I’m just not sure if a non-fan can appreciate ROTR in the same way?

If it was just my immediate family of 4 - we would for sure try. Or if the backup boarding groups were lasting more than 75 seconds I would grab one. I feel like a group of 11 with these lightening quick sell outs just adds a much deeper layer of complexity and stress...

I’ve got 13 days to make my decision. My group is totally fine either way and will do whatever I suggest.

Did they walk you all the way up to the attraction itself, or are you just queued up further back somewhere?

After I scanned into the park, I walked to Toy Story Land and walked right into line. There was already a single file line all the way through the queue. The line wrapped all the way to the entrance of TSL. From that point, there was a mob being contained by CMs that was 10 people wide

So I have the same screens as you (quoting your original post so that I can remember the sequence you’re going through. I believe that, if timed right, the “Join boarding group” button will be lit taking you directly to the part where you can choose your party. It’s the bolded portion I don’t think you have to do, eliminating one step from your process. Again I hit “find out more” right at 8:00:00. But if your button is not lit up, maybe wait one or two seconds after 8 and see if it becomes available right away? That’s what the practice sessions are for!

FWIW, I’m on an iPhone and v. 5.8 - did not intend to update but happened anyway. And while it was a little slow to load the first couple of days after update, it loads pretty well now. If your trip Is not for a little while I would do the update. I’m even one update behind I guess but I’ll have plenty of time before my trip to get that done.

Yes the step you highlighted can be unnecessary. However it’s my go to every morning. Every morning the red button is not red for me and every morning the blue and white button is active first try.That said, I know not to trust that it will be that smooth in the park. So I try different things after that. Backing out, going back to the home screen etc. Everyone’s phone could work a little differently and there are probably slight differences between how android and iOS work. And lots of things could be different if you’re standing in a crowd. It’s good to be comfortable with any and all ways to get what you want out of MDE.

Crowd pics can always be deceiving, but that’s around where I was on 1/2 and that looks way more crowded!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter