quick borrowing/banking question

BL2020

Mouseketeer
Every time I think I have this figured out, I keep second guessing myself.:oops:

I have a December use year and am planning to book a spring 2025 trip using my points coming December 2024. If I book now and cancel or modify within the allowable timeframe, my points go back to my 12/1/24-11/30/25 use year. Are those points no longer bankable if I scrap my 2025 trip because I "borrowed" them? I guess I'm not sure why it's considered borrowing if I'm using them in the use year they were given and am booking within my 11 month window, but I guess that's how it works.:confused3

It is not considered borrowing. Your Spring 2025 trip is in your December 2024 use year. If you cancel more than 31 days prior to the trip, the points go back in to your December 24 UY, and can be banked any time prior to 1 August 2025.

Thanks for the clarification that I can still bank these. It's stressful because it implies I am borrowing when I'm making the online reservation.

Thanks for the clarification that I can still bank these. It's stressful because it implies I am borrowing when I'm making the online reservation.
Not clear what you mean when you say it implies you are borrowing? The only indication of a need for borrowing while making online reservations should be obvious. It would tell you, for example, 'you need to borrow 50 points to complete this reservation, do you want to proceed with the borrow transaction?'. I'm not even sure you could borrow points if you have enough points within the proper UY of the reservation. I thought borrowing is only available after you've exhausted banked and current points.

Not clear what you mean when you say it implies you are borrowing? The only indication of a need for borrowing while making online reservations should be obvious. It would tell you,
Thanks for the explanation. I guess I'm still figuring it out. What I was referring to was that after I select the dates that are available a box pops up giving information on the contract I'm pulling from. For example "
"Contract Details
Expiring at the end of the 2024 Use Year: 8
Available to Borrow from 2025 Use Year: 150"

I'm assuming then that this is just the status of my current contract, not shown in relation to the dates in 2025 that I'm trying to book. The available to borrow would apply if my booking was in my 2024 use year, although the dates I selected on the previous screen for this reservation were in 2025. I find this confusing, but think I get it now. Also to add confusion, I banked those 8 points yesterday and they still show up in this box when booking a new reservation as in 2024. Though when I did complete the booking, they were used as banked points.

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I'm still figuring it out. What I was referring to was that after I select the dates that are available a box pops up giving information on the contract I'm pulling from. For example "
"Contract Details
Expiring at the end of the 2024 Use Year: 8
Available to Borrow from 2025 Use Year: 150"

I'm assuming then that this is just the status of my current contract, not shown in relation to the dates in 2025 that I'm trying to book. The available to borrow would apply if my booking was in my 2024 use year, although the dates I selected on the previous screen for this reservation were in 2025. I find this confusing, but think I get it now. Also to add confusion, I banked those 8 points yesterday and they still show up in this box when booking a new reservation as in 2024. Though when I did complete the booking, they were used as banked points.

Based on that info, it looks like all you have in your 2024 UY is 8 points. If that is accurate, then you don't have enough 2024 points to book your Spring 2025 trip without borrowing from your 2025 UY.

Remember, its based on the UY of the trip, and not the calendar year. A Spring 2025 trip is in your 2024 UY...so, if you want to use the 2025 UY points that start on December 1st, 2025, you'd be borrowing them for that trip.

If you have to borrow, then those points will be moved into your 2024 UY and then must be used by November 30th, 2025.

Based on that info, it looks like all you have in your 2024 UY is 8 points. If that is accurate, then you don't have enough 2024 points to book your Spring 2025 trip without borrowing from your 2025 UY.

Remember, its based on the UY of the trip, and not the calendar year. A Spring 2025 trip is in your 2024 UY...so, if you want to use the 2025 UY points that start on December 1st, 2025, you'd be borrowing them for that trip.

If you have to borrow, then those points will be moved into your 2024 UY and then must be used by November 30th, 2025.
Thanks, I understand what you are saying is correct and that I had misstated my booking was for my 2025 use year, but it was really for my 2024 use year that runs to 11/30/25. I had cut and pasted from the box that popped up. I had not used any of my December 2024 150 points before booking this morning, and had yesterday banked 8 points from 2023. I then used my upcoming 2024 points plus 6 of the banked points to make the reservation. The box didn't address the points coming 12/24 maybe because I wouldn't be borrowing them for the reservation (same use year) and I haven't received them yet. December use years are tricky!

Thanks, I understand what you are saying is correct and that I had misstated my booking was for my 2025 use year, but it was really for my 2024 use year that runs to 11/30/25. I had cut and pasted from the box that popped up. I had not used any of my December 2024 150 points before booking this morning, and had yesterday banked 8 points from 2023. I then used my upcoming 2024 points plus 6 of the banked points to make the reservation. The box didn't address the points coming 12/24 maybe because I wouldn't be borrowing them for the reservation (same use year) and I haven't received them yet. December use years are tricky!

Okay…that makes sense now!

Latest posts

facebook twitter