Questions re: first time 1/2 marathon

I won't comment on nutrition since dopeybadger and others have that so well covered. (Seriously. I'm still reading through various posts and taking notes).
And ditto to all the comments about "nothing new on race day".

1. Make sure you aren't going to have any chafing, anywhere. Glide works for a lot of people, but I need a physical barrier, thus some short tights to keep my thighs from chafing.
2. Ditto for applying moleskin, surgical tape, etc around toes.
3. Weather can be anything from freezing to warm. Typical temp at the start is in the 45-55 degree range, so have a throw-away sweatshirt. (I get a cheapie from walmart)
4. There is nothing like watching sunrise over Space Mountain. I wound up tossing my sweatshirt right before going into the Magic Kingdom because, well, photos.
5. Maybe a hat or sunglasses, depending on how long you'll take. I need a hat anyway due to lack of hair. With the earlier start time, I will probably forgo the sunglasses except for the full. Ditto sunscreen.
6. Back to weather, keep in mind the temp fluctuations if you do a costume. I'm not as worried about the 5 or 10k, and maybe not even the half, but it'll definitely be a factor with the full once the sun comes up.
7. The course gets very narrow going down main street. I have no idea how many spectators they will let in, but be aware that you suddenly have a lot of people next to you.
8. Things like arm-band carriers for cell phones may be great for short runs but get old with longer runs. YMMV
9. Straighten the curves to save steps
10. Stick to your training plan and don't over-train. You'll do better than you think.
11. Take some cash for post-race massage.
12. Take lots of photos
Above all: Enjoy wearing your medal

(Yes, I've been posting a bunch. I'm just very pumped to be doing this again.)

This is all so helpful. I am leaning towards doing the Challenge over Princess weekend. I will do my first half in October, so I will have some experience. My training plan (for the Oct half) has several weeks of 4-5 miles the day before a long run (8-10) so I think I will do a similar plan before the PHM and I should be able to do the 10k the day before. We will be at WDW for 8 days total (arriving Feb 20 for races on Feb 26-27) so I can get my park time in earlier in the week - not stressed about that. Lots of shorter park days on this trip!

Any thoughts on fueling for a half? I was just reading the thread about fuel tips for first time marathons.. what is everyone's fuel plan for a half? I want to try a few things on my longer runs, so I have a plan for the Oct. race, which I can modify further before PHM if needed. Right now I don't have a belt or carry water or anything, but I'm only up to 5-6 miles at the moment.
I’d say start experimenting now with fueling. I started early because I figured I wouldn’t be able to handle the gels, and I was right. What got me was the consistency and I couldnt swallow them. I played around with chews from Sports Beans to Honey Stinger, to others.
Gu and Honey Stinger also have electrolyte powders which are great after my runs. I sweat a bit so I take salt chews and electrolyte mixes, otherwise I get an amazing headache!
I do have a running belt and carry water that way. I sip water more times than there are water stops and I hate feeling thirsty.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter