Question from the dcl show on youtube today i saw about upgrades at the port...

AnthonyAllShore

Earning My Ears
So in today's YouTube video they had a topic with something to do along the lines of things that they were disappointed about (or something along those lines).

One very well informed guest said she wished people didn't have to worry about getting on the ship first. Pete said he likes to go on first for time AND the opportunities for upgrades...

What kind of upgrades could he be talking about?

From my understanding you can PAY to upgrade to a better catagory. I believe the price difference is less than if you originally booked that CAT?? maybe somebody can correct me here.
But I laugh when I hear Pete talk about upgrades as for me upgrades is s complimentary, I got lucky thing.. not a thing I have to PAY to get.

It’s an opportunity to pay for a stateroom in a higher category depending on availability. The additional charge is generally less than the additional you would pay prior to arriving. But you’re taking the chance that it’s available.

In general, the opportunities trend to be few. If there are rooms in higher categories (such as concierge), they’ll be snagged up by the folks that arrive at the port early. I usually see a sign saying “No upgrades available”. Hence Pete’s comment amount a benefit of arriving early.

DMM

It’s an opportunity to pay for a stateroom in a higher category depending on availability. The additional charge is generally less than the additional you would pay prior to arriving. But you’re taking the chance that it’s available.

In general, the opportunities trend to be few. If there are rooms in higher categories (such as concierge), they’ll be snagged up by the folks that arrive at the port early. I usually see a sign saying “No upgrades available”. Hence Pete’s comment amount a benefit of arriving early.

DMM
Do you know how much less? If I am paying 5 grand for a verandah and they offer me the opportunity to pay maybe "only" 2-3 grand more for concierage, I wouldnt use the term upgrade anymore, but I rebooked and spent I lot more money at port.

Basically after you check in, where do you go and ask about this to get upgraded? On the ship or in the terminal?

Do you know how much less? If I am paying 5 grand for a verandah and they offer me the opportunity to pay maybe "only" 2-3 grand more for concierage, I wouldnt use the term upgrade anymore, but I rebooked and spent I lot more money at port.
It is not necessarily less. It usually is if you are travelling in a family of 3 and more since the upgrade price is based on the starting and target room categories, regardless of the number of guests in the room. Therefore, when comparing with upgrading yourself online prior to the cruise, where they charge per guest at the current price, the more people in the room, the more of a ‘bargain’ it will seem. If upgrading a couple, you might come in even.

They use an upgrade matrix that is not published. We dont know if it varies from cruise to cruise. Some posters here are reporting the deep discounts they once were able to get this way are no more.

Basically after you check in, where do you go and ask about this to get upgraded? On the ship or in the terminal?
It varies. When we were on the Wonder earlier this month, you had to do it on the ship. In PC, I've always seen it at the last terminal desk where the supervisors were located.

I upgraded at the port two weeks ago on a fantasy sailing from a 4a veranda to a 1 bedroom concierge for $6k. It would have been 30k if I booked it originally with my family of 5. We had booked that sailing with our 50% off wish cancellation so we basically got a one bedroom for the cost of a family veranda. It was worth every penny. It was $3k to upgrade to a concierge veranda.

Am i probably correct in thinking that my Wish reservation for Feb 2023 will probably be booked up, so upgrades would be few and far between? or are upgrades more for people who do cancel last moments?

Am i probably correct in thinking that my Wish reservation for Feb 2023 will probably be booked up, so upgrades would be few and far between? or are upgrades more for people who do cancel last moments?
The chance for upgrades really varies by cruise. The Wish is new and therefore popular -- but that doesn't necessarily negate the change for an upgrade. When in February may have more impact -- earlier in the month may have availability while later in the month starts to hit Presidents Day/week and the start of school vacations in some areas. Just keep an eye on how booked your cruise is getting and that will give you an idea whether there may be upgrades available at port.

I upgraded at the port two weeks ago on a fantasy sailing from a 4a veranda to a 1 bedroom concierge for $6k. It would have been 30k if I booked it originally with my family of 5. We had booked that sailing with our 50% off wish cancellation so we basically got a one bedroom for the cost of a family veranda. It was worth every penny. It was $3k to upgrade to a concierge veranda.

Reason I'm asking is because I got a b2b booked for March 2023. Thinking maybe ask for the second leg since I mean I'm already there. The wife wants to check out concierge and I never actually earmarked spending that much on a room when verandah is already enjoyable.

(I don't drink, and I am usually not in the room other than for bathing and sleeping.)

Reason I'm asking is because I got a b2b booked for March 2023. Thinking maybe ask for the second leg since I mean I'm already there. The wife wants to check out concierge and I never actually earmarked spending that much on a room when verandah is already enjoyable.

(I don't drink, and I am usually not in the room other than for bathing and sleeping.)
We are not big drinkers either but we really enjoyed the lounge. I eat a GF diet and they went out of their way to have sandwiches made for me at lunch at the ready and I think we ate about 100 macarons over the course of the cruise which they sell for $3 each in too sweet. We never went to cabanas for breakfast as we loved the lounge breakfast options. The sun deck was so quiet and I never had to fight for a comfy chair to read a book in. If it was a short cruise I definitely wouldn’t spend the $ to upgrade at the port but for a longer itinerary it’s definitely worth it.

We are not big drinkers either but we really enjoyed the lounge. I eat a GF diet and they went out of their way to have sandwiches made for me at lunch at the ready and I think we ate about 100 macarons over the course of the cruise which they sell for $3 each in too sweet. We never went to cabanas for breakfast as we loved the lounge breakfast options. The sun deck was so quiet and I never had to fight for a comfy chair to read a book in. If it was a short cruise I definitely wouldn’t spend the $ to upgrade at the port but for a longer itinerary it’s definitely worth it.

I think I probably would do lounge breakfast everyday and drink as much specialty coffee as I can. I actually like going to the MDR. I just would hate to want to be tied to my stateroom areas to get "my money" worth out of it.

Just looking if I paid $4k for 4 night on magic. The lowest concierge is about +$2,650 right now. Realistically what would be a good deal to accept an upcharge. Only reason I never really consider is because that amount, I rather pay a little more an go on another DCL.

In my mind, maybe $1K and I should jump on it.

I think I probably would do lounge breakfast everyday and drink as much specialty coffee as I can. I actually like going to the MDR. I just would hate to want to be tied to my stateroom areas to get "my money" worth out of it.

Just looking if I paid $4k for 4 night on magic. The lowest concierge is about +$2,650 right now. Realistically what would be a good deal to accept an upcharge. Only reason I never really consider is because that amount, I rather pay a little more an go on another DCL.

In my mind, maybe $1K and I should jump on it.
I agree that any more than $1k for a 4 day upgrade wouldn’t be worth it, as you aren’t getting the early booking benefits like those who paid concierge to begin with. The concierge team can only do so much if things you want are already sold out. I think adult dining is the easiest thing they can get for you last minute or a cabana if someone changes their mind and cancels last minute.

For folks who do like to book cabanas, I don’t think it’s worth the money on the eastern fantasy itinerary. The boat docks late in the morning (10:30 - 11:30 we were late both sailings when we did the same itinerary in April and June) and you leave the island by 5pm so you only get 1/2 day on the island. The concierge host when I chatted to him about this said he was already getting complaints from those who booked cabanas due to being late to dock and it happens every time. Don’t pick the first slots of the day either for excursions on castaway because they get canceled if you dock late.

So it looks like early booking (try to get events/dining) or cabana isn't something I would use. I guess for me it's to hang out at the lounge, not that I can't get food elsewhere too. And I actually don't mind getting my own food and not have to ask and wait sometimes.

I think 1A. Wife asked. 2A. I just want to have duo gold keys on my key to the world card. LOL. If this somehow drop in my lap and doable, will try it at least once.

Last 2 questions, 1. concierge doesn’t have a special lanyard? 2. I know Disney is rolling out new wifi plans. But previously, I know the rooms didn't have included wifi. Did the lounge actually give access? You know like an additional perk?

** I guess for me, if the concierge included things like cabana on castaway, adult dining, free internet, etc. Then, I can see myself wanting to do it all the time. What in figured it's to give you the honor to spend more money. It is the way. 😆

Last 2 questions, 1. concierge doesn’t have a special lanyard? 2. I know Disney is rolling out new wifi plans. But previously, I know the rooms didn't have included wifi. Did the lounge actually give access? You know like an additional perk?
1. Nope. Your lanyard will still be based on your CC status or DVC membership.
2. No wifi included unless your are staying in the Royal suites.

We’ve been on 7 Disney cruises over the years and have stayed concierge five times. We’ve never booked concierge prior and have on six occasions had the opportunity to upgrade to concierge.

The ONLY time we decided not to take advantage of this was on a 3 day on the dream where we intentionally booked an inside cabin (this was a comp cruise through my job for a sales contest) and our kids were “excited”for the magic porthole. We regretted this pretty soon after day one. Lol.

We’ve paid as little as $500 to as much as $2000 depending on the length of the cruise, the ship, the category we originally booked, time of year and what was “available” we’ve experienced concierge on every ship but the wish (sailing first time on wish in October) and have been lucky enough to stay in every category, including the Walt Disney suite on the magic. (This was a magical upgrade mid cruise in December due to a leaking and broken AC in the concierge room we were originally upgraded to).

I would personally NOT recommend making the decision to upgrade based on cost or length of cruise. It’s the ship and upgrade that matters. On the wonder and magic there aren’t really dedicated concierge rooms. On the dream and fantasy different story. And the 1bR on the dream/fantasy are insanely amazing.

I don't know if we’ll get the chance on the wish due to our PAT (12:30 due to a glitch in the system when we were setting up) but hoping this is available.

I would strongly encourage this option though on the dream or fantasy.

Last edited:
I would personally NOT recommend making the decision to upgrade based on cost or length of cruise. It’s the ship and upgrade that matters. On the wonder and magic there aren’t really dedicated concierge rooms. On the dream and fantasy different story. And the 1bR on the dream/fantasy are insanely amazing.
Having stayed in 1BR rooms on all ships except Wish, I must say I do not understand that comment. It's true that Concierge staterooms are spread across an entire deck instead of being all together, around the lounge, like on Dream/Fantasy. But there are definitely special Concierge rooms on the classic ships, including the 2BR rooms that are missing from the Dream class.

I stayed concierge once on a 5 night Dream itinerary. It was a double dip. When we would go to the lounge for food, it was like the vultures came out. People pushing and shoving to get the food and within minutes it was gone. It would take about 20 -30 minutes to restock and they same thing would happen. About the 3rd time it was a little less crazy but still the food emptied out. Sometimes not all of the options would come back as they must only have so many of each item. Port days were the craziest.

During our meeting on the first day I asked for an appointment with the future cruise desk. When I came to the lounge for my assigned time, no one set anything up. I waited in the lounge for about 1/2 hour for them to get someone to come up to book my cruise.

It was our 30th wedding anniversary for this cruise and we ended up with a magical moments certificate. I was hoping for towel swans on the bed or a rose or a piece of cake. Something more than a certificate. Nope.

We were able to book a cabana for the 1st stop and the team asked if we wanted to book on the 2nd stop but we turned it down. At the time, as platinum, we were able to get cabanas on the smaller ship cruises. Both times, we never had any one answer our button when we called. If we wanted a drink, we had to flag down a server if we saw one.

Oh, and we had an extended veranda and I asked if we could get a lounger and was told no.

For me, it wasn't worth it to do concierge. Obviously many other people feel it is worth it. Everyone has options to chose what is best for them.

Having stayed in 1BR rooms on all ships except Wish, I must say I do not understand that comment. It's true that Concierge staterooms are spread across an entire deck instead of being all together, around the lounge, like on Dream/Fantasy. But there are definitely special Concierge rooms on the classic ships, including the 2BR rooms that are missing from the Dream class.
Correct. My comment is geared towards NOT having dedicated concierge rooms on the older ships in the same area as the lounge. They are spread all over the ship so while you have the same “access” you don’t necessarily get the same premium locations. That said the 2BR suites are quite nice on the classic ships. Also I’m not saying don’t boom concierge on these ships. I’m saying don’t base the decision just on the length of the cruise or cost. Know the difference in what your getting on each ship. Some shots from the Disney suite on the magic

Attachments

• 4A003A98-AD10-467B-95AF-9AE7C383A1A1.jpeg
    4A003A98-AD10-467B-95AF-9AE7C383A1A1.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 516F811A-0466-47BA-8271-F701D22537A4.jpeg
    516F811A-0466-47BA-8271-F701D22537A4.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 49F77D4C-4665-41DA-8B70-AA786D07B6D5.jpeg
    49F77D4C-4665-41DA-8B70-AA786D07B6D5.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 68927358-2902-4094-BB4D-F84D42426F21.jpeg
    68927358-2902-4094-BB4D-F84D42426F21.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 8DEC7B48-2EAE-4D9A-A6F5-673C82673E8A.jpeg
    8DEC7B48-2EAE-4D9A-A6F5-673C82673E8A.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 17

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter