Question from the dcl show on youtube today i saw about upgrades at the port...

We stay in concierge a lot and about half of the time they have been upgrades at the port. Some cruises the discount has been about 40%, othertimes it seemed close to rack rate.

We love concierge because:
-can arrive whenever at port
-the lounge is a quiet place to work or read and the excellent cappucinos and tea keep us going
-dealing with concierge staff instead of guest relations
-the fix problems, like exchanging a broken princess necklace from BBB etc.
-many things are possible like late bookins for Palo, getting kids into BBB same day
-early seating for shows and free popcorn
-getting the know other guests on the ship in the lounge - lots of nights we sat and had drinks with new friends
-the sun deck and/or dedicated hot tub
-ability to order from restaurants into the room
-express walk off morning of disembarkation
-staff get to know us personally, and this makes it really nice and more intimate.
-the concierge hosts are very good conversationalists and I find that pleasant.

So, if you arrive earlier than your PAT, specifically to inquire about upgrades, they're not going to let you in?
Correct. You can't arrive earlier than your PAT. If, after you check in at the terminal and head to the Supervisor's desk to inquire about upgrades, hooray! You can't arrive early just to inquire about upgrades.

MJ

Correct. You can't arrive earlier than your PAT. If, after you check in at the terminal and head to the Supervisor's desk to inquire about upgrades, hooray! You can't arrive early just to inquire about upgrades.

MJ
Thanks. Our PAT is 11:45 for a not full cruise (7 nights on the Fantasy in October). Any idea if the upgrades are all gone by that point?

We are not big drinkers either but we really enjoyed the lounge. I eat a GF diet and they went out of their way to have sandwiches made for me at lunch at the ready and I think we ate about 100 macarons over the course of the cruise which they sell for $3 each in too sweet. We never went to cabanas for breakfast as we loved the lounge breakfast options. The sun deck was so quiet and I never had to fight for a comfy chair to read a book in. If it was a short cruise I definitely wouldn’t spend the $ to upgrade at the port but for a longer itinerary it’s definitely worth it.
Hi PrincessCinderella,

I was diagnosed with celiac last year and will be cruising gluten free for the first time in May. We are booked concierge so it's great to hear they were so accommodating. I love the pastries and stuff. Are there offerings other than the macaroons?

Hi PrincessCinderella,

I was diagnosed with celiac last year and will be cruising gluten free for the first time in May. We are booked concierge so it's great to hear they were so accommodating. I love the pastries and stuff. Are there offerings other than the macaroons?
They chef also made us a delicious torte dessert one day and cookies another. I loved having a European breakfast in the lounge every morning of cheese, cured meat (prosciutto and beef) and melon. The cheese and meat plates had bread on them on the buffet but the staff just adds the bread on in the backstage area so they would bring me ones that haven’t had bread touch them. Mickey bars are GF too so make sure to order them from room service, and you can always get them at dinner.

Hi PrincessCinderella,

We had a torte like cake one day sent from the chef for us that was GF and sugar cookies. Mickey bars are GF and available in the main dining rooms and through room service. I love macarons so if that was the only thing they had I would have been happy. There are also a couple of GF desserts in the main dining rooms which have a mousse type cake with an almond crumb crust that were quite tasty.

Thanks. Our PAT is 11:45 for a not full cruise (7 nights on the Fantasy in October). Any idea if the upgrades are all gone by that point?
Every cruise is different and all depends on how many people on a particular cruise are interested in upgrades so really no way to tell. Many cruises have no upgrades available at all.

MJ

Correct. My comment is geared towards NOT having dedicated concierge rooms on the older ships in the same area as the lounge. They are spread all over the ship so while you have the same “access” you don’t necessarily get the same premium locations. That said the 2BR suites are quite nice on the classic ships. Also I’m not saying don’t boom concierge on these ships. I’m saying don’t base the decision just on the length of the cruise or cost. Know the difference in what your getting on each ship. Some shots from the Disney suite on the magic
great picks of the Walt suite! We are a family of 3 and upgraded one time to the Roy suite on the Wonder and it was fabulous but it felt very strange having all of that room for just the 3 of us (our DD was 5 at the time and had the second bedroom and bath all to herself)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter