• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question for Breast Feeding Moms

I guess there are exhibitionists in every crowd. I dont think it makes much sense to breast feed in the middle of a photo-op at wdw, but I also dont think that hiding is necessary either.
Looking Glass when you use the term "do what she had to do" in reference to breastfeeding it sounds like you are referring to relieving oneself.

Breastfeeding your baby is appropriate anywhere that it's appropriate to give a baby a bottle. If you're a bit apprehensive, then you'll obviously be conservative enough not to make any reasonable person uncomfortable. Have fun!

Originally posted by Kermit
Breastfeeding your baby is appropriate anywhere that it's appropriate to give a baby a bottle.

Although I am a staunch BF supporter, I have been forced to give my baby an occasional bottle of formula because I have supply issues (this depresses me to no end, but that's a whole 'nother story). Anyhow, I am more embarassed to give my daughter a bottle in public (even if it is EBM) than to BF her. I refuse to have any pictures of my daughter with a bottle in her mouth, though there are several (tasteful) pictures of her BF. Now, if my DH only felt the same way...

--Kathy

All I was trying to point out is a little discretion is advised.
I can see no reason to sit in the most crowded space in a room to BF. Yes maybe I am a little uncomfortable with BF. ( I kinda know thats comming) If I can I move, i.e. Main Street Square.
To do what she has to do- sounds better than- damn't would you/I feed that kid before it drives me insane with all the crying. Sorry, no reference to relieving oneself. Just a poor choice of words. A common problem alot of us seem to have on the DisBoards.

When I was a new mom there was an article in the paper about a mom who was breastfeeding in the children's section of the local library and was removed by the police when she refused to stop doing so at the librarian's request. The librarian claimed that the mother had her shirt virtually off. I have tended to doubt that part of the story.

I've been breastfeeding at the time we've made two of our WDW trips. Everyone has given you great advice - the baby care centers are wonderful, but there are lots of places throughout the parks that are wonderful, too.

Certainly BF is the most natural thing in the world, and should be supported by any thinking individual. On the other hand, being discreet is a courtesy to those around you. I agree that most people won't notice - but I wouldn't BF in someone else's photo unless I had NO choice.

My guess about the lady sitting close to the characters is that she was tired, her baby was tired, and she sat down and began to BF without realizing how close she was to the action! And once you've started, it can sometimes be very difficult to get up and move without causing a major distruption for your baby.

I also understand the need to dry your nipples in the air, but it isn't difficult to accomplish without showing them to everyone!! I believe you have a RIGHT to BF when your baby needs it, but common courtesy should not be thrown out the window.

A voice of reason, pwoodham! I think you hit the nail on the head.

"Common courtesy" is the key phrase. Yes, you have a right to BF but everyone else has a right not to see your boob hanging out! Chuck a spit up towel over your shoulder. Or move to a more secluded spot (meals on wheels).

That said, it doesn't phase me in the least to BF in public (BFing baby number five right now) but I do try to remember that the people around me might be uncomfortable.

On the other hand, maybe I'll make someone's day with a quick peep show.....LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter