• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question for Breast Feeding Moms

abt426

Mouseketeer
How breast feeding freindly is WDW? Espcially given that I am still breast feeding my 20 month old DD. She only nurses a few times a day but when she is tired and fussy it is the only thing that reliably calms her. So, has anyone been asked not to BF (discreetly) in a secluded public place (by strangers or CM)? Does everyone go all the way back to the child care stations? My sister just brought this up and now I am obsessing over it.

I choose to go to the baby centers for nursing, it is quiet, comfortable and cool. The have nice rocking chairs and are free from distractions that could make feeding and calming you child difficult. They also have incredible changing facilities and activities the kids can do on their own, toys, coloring, movies, etc. Both the MK and EPCOT stations were centrally located and convenient for us - I never needed to use the ones at AK or MGM. Most of the time if you are discreet people don't know what you are doing anyway, it usually looks like you have a sleeping child and a blanket!

I saw a mother nursing an infant while waiting for the MK to open. She was sitting on the ground, in the shade, discreetly feeding the baby. It was very obvious, or at least to me, what she was doing, but I didn't give it a second glance. I don't think most others did either. I imagine she would have preferred to nurse in another setting, but if the baby's hungry, you do what you have to...Other than the baby care centers, there are lots of out of the way benches, and the back of many of the counter restaurant seating areas are frequently empty. I would imagine it is easier though to "hide out" with an younger child. Good luck! :)

The baby centers were wonderful, quiet, and clean. I also used all the long rides (IASW, MK railroad, TTA, Spaceship Earth, Great Movie Ride, Universe of Energy, etc.) There were secluded benches throughout WDW that I used if I needed to as well.

I enjoyed the baby care centers, They are nice and cool. The kids always would get distracted while trying to nurse with a lot going on. So, it worked for me.At times, I nursed Connor sitting on the ground, on a bench, while riding rides. I never had a problem arise. What a great mom you are to be still nursing. Enjoy your trip and do not think twice about it.

We also had no problems whatsoever. It is often not realistic to think you will hike back to to the baby care center when someone has to eat "right this minute," though they were wonderful!

I agree that the care centers are nice if you are near one and want to cool off. But, if you aren't near one, then just find a place to sit and take care of your baby's needs.

I did just that with my DD last June when she was 18 months old and had no problems whatsoever. Ofcourse, this June I am hoping that at 2.5 years old, she will be distracted by all the stuff around her and forget to ask. Although, I seriously doubt it! :)

Thanks for posting this! I am a new mom and will be going to WDW in Aug. My DD will be six months at the time and will still be BF. Thanks for all your tips!

The baby care stations are very nice for BF. Other nice places are the Presidents show at MK and America at Epcot. They are relatively quiet, cool and dark. I would go to these when I wanted DD or DS to fall asleep. Worked like a charm for both of them.

I was at WDW last mont and am nursing a 9 month old. Before the trip I thought i was going to live at the baby stations. I am very shy about breast feeding in public. Well, I never even sae the inside of one!:D There were plenty of places that I felt comfortable nursing. People are too busy enjoying themselves to be staring at what you are doing. One place that was good was the path that leads to the Castle from where the Crystal palace is. There are benches and it didn't have a lot of traffic. Another ride that wasn't mentioned was the Ellen ride in Epcot. After you get you seat you are there a long time. Relax, I survived and it wasn't traumatic at all.:) :o

I saw someone nursing at barnes & noble today! She was sitting at a cafe table along the main walkway. She wasn't being particularly discreet (not that she should have to be), but I'm sure most people didn't notice anyway. It so common these days, you shouldn't have to worry about anything!

Maybe with kid #2 I'll be that brave :)

When I nursed my first son I was absolutely neurotic about nursing in public and even hid in a bathroom and the car to nurse on some of our first trips out. Now a veteran of nursing two kids I have this to say, there is no reason to hide when nursing your child. Find someplace comfortable and take care of your baby. There is no reason to go out of your way to trek back to the baby care center if it is inconvenient. Noone has ever complained to me about nursing or even looked at me sideways.

The baby care centers are absolutely wonderful!! I have nursed on It's a Small World and pirates of the Carribean. It was easy because my DD #3 was only 6 weeks old at the time and wasn't heavy.

Good luck and don't think about what others may say. It is natural and wonderful.

I've never had any problems nursing at WDW. DD nursed until she was almost 3. I am not shy and nursed wherever it was needed, noone has ever approached me in a negative way either. I have had people approach me and say positive things :)
My best advice is to wear a shirt that pulls up not buttons down.

Other then that enjoy!!

I, too, have become much braver about nursing in public. Just Saturday night, I NIPped at Tony Roma's: great place for ribs and milk too! LOL

BTW, are there any breastfeeding.com moms here???

I have no problem nursing in public, but my husband does. So, on our trip last week with our 5 month old DD, I got to see a lot of the baby care centers. Although I generally have no problem nursing DD anywhere, it was a nice break to sit in a cool, quiet room rather than in the heat.

I also fed her in the movie portion of One Man's Dream and on a bench in AK. I was headed toward a secluded bench, but DH said, "Why don't you go to that bench over there... it is in the shade." It was also right next to the entrance to the rest room. So, when lots of people were walking past, DH became very uncomfortable and insisted that I find the baby care center. Oh, I also fed her in Downtown Disney - on a bench. DH suggested that I go and feed her in the restroom. I snapped at him that our daughter was not eating in a restroom (does he like to eat while he is sitting on the toilet?) and sat down to feed her on the nearest bench.

Besides the comments from my husband, no one else said a word. It's a shame that he can't be more supportive of BF.

--Kathy

I found that with my kids that if we were outside somewhere with a lot going on around us, they really wouldn't nurse easily. I found it easier to be in a dark, somewhat quiet place (not necessarily the baby care center, other suggestions are rides people have already mentioned, as well as Carousel of Progress, if open, the movie in the France pavilion, the Little Mermaid at MGM, etc). I think you'll find there are places where you'll be comfortable to nurse that you may never even thought of. Have fun!

Dec 2001 we took our then 8 1/2 month old DD to WDW and BF in almost every place under the sun. I agree that the baby care stations are great, especailly if you can plan the time and are nursing only a few times a day. I did see a women on the bus nursing a young girl of at least 2 years old. I think most people didn't even notice unless you also breast feed and know what to look for.

My DD is now 13 1/2 months old and still nursing. Not sure when we will stop, I keep putting it off to next month, then the next month. However she only nurses 5 times a day and is way to distracted to do it when she is excited or there is much going on around her.

I wound't worry about it. Chances are if you are doing it to help her clam down you will need a nice quiet place anyway. Just holding her and reducing stimulation will help.

Have a great trip.

I guess I'll get flamed for this, but I have to say something. I have no problem with nursing in public I just wish it was done a little more common sense. While waiting for our Breakfast with the Princess, a mom decied to sit right next to the fairy god mother and nurse. Of course every child asked what she was doing. She made it into two of our pictures nursing. There were plenty of seats off to the side where she could of sat to do what she had to do. Later that same day sitting next to the statue of Walt and Mickey at the entrance it kinda happened again. It was a little easier to give her some room there do to the location.
Well I said what I had to say. Let the flaming begin.

I agree not everyone is comfortable and discretion is really courtesy. I have no desire to have a breastfeeding mother in my pictures at WDW LOL. I think in most cases that the only people who realize you are even breastfeeding are other Mothers. When I was nursing it seemed everyone around me was....now that I'm not I don't notice unless of course you count the time that hubby and I were out for a romantic dinner and the couple beside us enjoying there dinner with a very tiny baby gave us a full breast shot, she was letting her nipple dry she explained.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter