Question about discounts...

sam_williams86

Earning My Ears
I was just inquiring about what sort of discounts you can get while in the CP. I will being having friends and family coming to visit and just wondering what I can expect in terms of discounts for parks, hotels, etc. Also, is there a set number of times you can use them or ?

You have 6 free days in the park for friends/family. You can get up to three people in each of those days. However, lets say on Day 1 you only get one person in... that means those other 2 "tickets" disappear. Just focus on - 6 DAYS.

You can get friends/family a deal at the resorts as well. If you stay with them it's a discount up to 50 (or 60)% depending on season. If you do not stay with them then it's up to 40%. You may use this discount 5 times a year.

You also will get discounts on food and merchandise in the park - so that helps!

So you mean 5 times during the time that you are in the program right?

5 times during a calendar year. If you only come down for the CP, then, yes, 5 times during the program, but if you stay seasonal or go full/part time after the CP, then you'd be limited by what you already used.

Wouldn't 5 days be the same as 5 times? 5 different nights, that is? Or is it only 5 people?

And in regards to discounts on the food, how much would you say you pay for the average meal?

I believe it's five "trips." Trip one could be a week, trip two a weekend, etc.

Discounts vary based on location. Some places give you 10% off and others give up to 40%, some don't give anything at all. I can't really guess an average meal cost since prices vary so much. If I eat at a quick service, I average just over $10; in a restaurant I average closer to $15-20 (and that's with the discount).

Wouldn't 5 days be the same as 5 times? 5 different nights, that is? Or is it only 5 people?

And in regards to discounts on the food, how much would you say you pay for the average meal?

I'm not sure where you guys are getting the number 5 from..... Your maingate pass gets 3 people into the park on 6 different days. At the turnstiles, those 3 people get park hopper tickets so that they may change parks as much as they want during that day. However, if you only get 2 people into the park on any given day, you don't get to rollover that 3rd person's ticket.. you just lose it. And the 6 times doesn't mean 6 trips which are a week each... it is 6 DAYS :) just wanted to clarify for everyone!

I'm not sure where you guys are getting the number 5 from..... Your maingate pass gets 3 people into the park on 6 different days. At the turnstiles, those 3 people get park hopper tickets so that they may change parks as much as they want during that day. However, if you only get 2 people into the park on any given day, you don't get to rollover that 3rd person's ticket.. you just lose it. And the 6 times doesn't mean 6 trips which are a week each... it is 6 DAYS :) just wanted to clarify for everyone!

Yea that is what Berlioz70 said earlier... the 5 came from hotel stays. she was saying you can get your discount in resorts up to 5 trips a year....

so then..... just to be clear.... the resort discounts.. the 5 means 5 days? or 5 separate trips?? in which case how long can they stay in the resort?.... does this make sense? jajaja=)

so then..... just to be clear.... the resort discounts.. the 5 means 5 days? or 5 separate trips?? in which case how long can they stay in the resort?.... does this make sense? jajaja=)

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members may book rooms at the Friends & Family Discount up to 5 times per calendar year. This is counted per reservation, so Cast Members may make up to five separate reservations per calendar year.

Cast Members with questions about the Cast Member Resort Discount at the Walt Disney World Resort should contact WDW Cast Reservations. College Program participants will receive this contact information during or after their Traditions Class.

Yea that is what Berlioz70 said earlier... the 5 came from hotel stays. she was saying you can get your discount in resorts up to 5 trips a year....

Ok, Sorry! I didn't see the part on the post about hotel stays. Just wanted to make sure people understood the maingate :) Sorry for the confusion!

I believe it's five "trips." Trip one could be a week, trip two a weekend, etc.

Discounts vary based on location. Some places give you 10% off and others give up to 40%, some don't give anything at all. I can't really guess an average meal cost since prices vary so much. If I eat at a quick service, I average just over $10; in a restaurant I average closer to $15-20 (and that's with the discount).

Cool about the 5 trips.

Wow $10 for lunch still seems quite expensive (considering where I live, I get an avg. lunch for $5, and the avg dinner a little more than $10). It might still be better to make a sandwich and pack a lunch. But I suppose I can treat myself to something now and then. Would you say you find cheaper dinners off of resort property?

Cool about the 5 trips.

Wow $10 for lunch still seems quite expensive (considering where I live, I get an avg. lunch for $5, and the avg dinner a little more than $10). It might still be better to make a sandwich and pack a lunch. But I suppose I can treat myself to something now and then. Would you say you find cheaper dinners off of resort property?

Generally, you won't be eating your lunches on property. It is forbidden for Cast Members to purchase food from on-stage locations during their shifts (with the exception of certain Culinary Hosts and Hostesses). There are backstage Cast Commissaries at each Theme Park and Resort, which have more reasonable prices.

And of course, Food will always be cheaper off Disney Property, though the surrounding areas are still touristy, so prices won't be that low.

Yes, but even with the "more reasonable" prices at Backstage food locations, you'll still be better off financially if you bring your own lunch.

For example, I can go to the MK Cast Cafeteria ("Mouseketeria"), and buy a Subway Sandwich. 6" turkey sub sets me back about $4.50. I can go to an off-property Subway, and get a footlong sub for $5. I can go to the grocery store, buy a loaf of bread, some sliced cheese, and some deli turkey for $5, and that feeds me for 3 or 4 days.

And, as Glendalais says, you're technically not supposed to buy food on-stage during your shift. Does that mean it never happens? No. There are some costumes that have pants/shorts that look sufficiently similar to "civilian clothes" that if you bring a spare T-shirt, you'd probably be able to get away with it, but be careful ... if a manager catches you, you could get in trouble.

Cool about the 5 trips.

Oh yeah - like everyone else said I do not eat lunch on property, my estimates are from days I play in the park.

Dinners are almost ALWAYS cheaper off site. However, I still eat on property and am currently working my way through each of the restaurants. Luckily we get a nice 50% holiday discount coupon so I use that when I eat on property. You get two, but my CP friends who left the program gave me theirs so I ended up with about 10!

Sounds good :thumbsup2 wow, 50% off on a holiday? Do you have to use it on actually on a holiday, or just whenever (and choose the "holiday" wisely).

Sounds good :thumbsup2 wow, 50% off on a holiday? Do you have to use it on actually on a holiday, or just whenever (and choose the "holiday" wisely).

It is for whenever - think of it as your holiday gift (usually with several goodies like extra discounts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter