Project Runway Season Five -MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD!

OK - Did Blayne rip off his name from the Pretty in Pink movie - where Andrew McCarthy was "Blaine" and Jon Cryer announced that his name wasn't a name - it's a major appliance!

Can we please have real people names instead of made up ones - Suede?

Interesting challenge. But why have them design an outfit for the Olympics Opening Ceremony just "for the hell of it". Why not find a challenge where the garment actually got WORN by someone, as they have in season's past?

That said, what WERE they thinking? There was some serious ugly on the runway tonight, kids. SERIOUS UGLY!

And what's up with people designing ruffled retro glam cocktail dresses? Were they listening AT ALL? Jarrell, Suede, Daniel, Keith & Kenley are all just lucky that Jennifer's dress was such a huge pile of mistakes. And as she leaves she once again refers to her designs as "surreal". Um, has she looked up that word in the dictionary EVER in her lifetime? There's nothing surreal about her designs. It's all very clearly infulenced by the "New Look" of 1947 through about 1962 and Camelot--all as seen by someone who works in the Dillard's "Junior Miss" department.

Overall, I think Joe should have won. I think his was the best design and I loved the two-colored zipper thing he did. Simple, but huge impact.

But I kind of liked, Stella's take on it. Just wish she hadn't included that weird separated zipper on the bodice.

Yeah, ITA about "ugly" - and I have virtually NO fashion sense (if it's clean, and doesn't clash, I will wear it!)

Jarrell was REALLY lucky that Jennifer's outfit was determined to make even less sense/be less appropriate than his. I mean, his really was a good overall design, and well-executed, but totally inappropriate for the assignment.

And, yeah, I agree Joe should have won :(

I just read Tim's Take on this episode.

Tim thought that Joe's outfit was boring! :eek:

And he thought Terri should have won! :eek:

I thought Terri's look was "okay" but not spectacular. I think Korto's was the second best look after Joe's so didn't mind her winning it.

In reference to Suede's dress he says "Tim is very confused, very confused, indeed." :rotfl2:

Rob thinks that is very funny. Rob would love to have cocktails with Tim Gunn sometime just to hear such witty things!

I agree Terri's outfit wasn't that great. As it looked more like a cruise outfit than something that the atheletes would walk with during the opening ceremonies.

That said, what WERE they thinking? There was some serious ugly on the runway tonight, kids. SERIOUS UGLY!

Agreed. And for the record, surreal does not = frumpy. I think she needs to reclassify herself as a designer.

And I loved Terri's and even Blayne's. Korto's was okay, but in looking at the type of stuff they normally wear to opening ceremonies, Terri's was really nice. I think Joe could have won if he had maybe made it more like a tennis skirt with the shorts underneath instead of the shorts with the longer flap in front.

But I was also wondering why they would do this challenge "just because." If the athletes aren't actually going to wear it, why bother with this.

But I was also wondering why they would do this challenge "just because." If the athletes aren't actually going to wear it, why bother with this.

Because NBC (which owns Bravo) is broadcasting the Opening Ceremonies (and the rest of the Olympics after them) this week.

Rob thinks it's an attempt at "synergy". But Rob doesn't think it's synergy done very well.

Because NBC (which owns Bravo) is broadcasting the Opening Ceremonies (and the rest of the Olympics after them) this week.

Rob thinks it's an attempt at "synergy". But Rob doesn't think it's synergy done very well.

I was just going to say the exact same thing. Plus they do alot of just because themes. Like last weeks.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Rob was just reading the AfterElton recap of last night's episode, where he saw these two pictures and decided that they were just TOO funny not to share!

pr504pussycat.jpg

pr504heehawgirls.jpg

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Rob thinks they're hysterical! :rotfl:

If you nothing about the episode it would be hard to believe that these two sets of outfits were designed based on the same challenge...

The second one, minus the hat could even be a stewardess outfit from BA or something...completely not appropriate, so maybe she was confused and thought they were designing stewardess outfits for the flight to the Olympics, rather then for the Olympic athletes, I mean it is a common mistake, right?

OMG, get the Suede repellent and apply to Rob!

The whole Olympic thing is just because NBC is broadcasting them. Simple self promotion.

I thought a couple of them very good, I think the guy who did the all white with black trim............if he had done Blue, it would have been more USA. Corto's was good. And she used leatha, not a comment from Miss Leatha? And what was she thinking. I saw her outfit on the runway and it sure did look JUST like a previous one.

Yay that Miss Surreal is gone.

IT is interesting to see how it's playing out with some of them just not getting it, more each week.

My guilty pleasure isn't disappointing. Loved the sewing machine drama. I sew and I have to agree that each machine has a feel to it and if you find one you like, it is hard to adjust to another one. But this is a contest, so Mr He took MY machine needs to suck it up and deal.

OMG, get the Suede repellent and apply to Rob!

No, no! Suede is obnoxious in the extreme! Rob is just mocking Suede's affectation for humorous effect!

Rob promises not to refer to himself in such a Suedesque manner on any other threads or after Suede is auffed, but until then, Rob simply can't help himself!

:rotfl2:

Upon futher reflection (and reading several recaps) Rob realized that Jarrell had mentioned in an interview segment that he had "even made a hat, MY FIRST". Rob finds this amusing. It's kind of clear that he's not a skilled milliner of any stripe, and that his hat is not something to be proud of. Yet Jarrell thought is was. Tee hee. Silly designer.

FWIW, Emma hated Daniel and Jerrell and liked Joe, Terri, Korto, and Leanne. It's weird, because even if I think something is AWFUL, and she likes it, the judges generally like it. I guess she's got a good eye for fashion.

Suede wasn't as annoying last night (purely because he didn't have as much camera time). :) If you look at what the actual outfits are going to look like for the opening ceremonies, Terri was much more on point than everyone else. Blazers, ties/scarves, tops, pants or skirts, etc. The challenge was to create a look for opening ceremonies, not a track suit for warm-ups, podium wear, leisure wear, etc.

Here's a link to what other countries are going to be wearing:
http://www.chinaapparel.net/news/2008/2008-07-30/16469.shtml

Here's a link to what Ralph Lauren has done for the US opening ceremonies:
http://guestofaguest.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/polo.jpg

FWIW, Emma hated Daniel and Jerrell and liked Joe, Terri, Korto, and Leanne. It's weird, because even if I think something is AWFUL, and she likes it, the judges generally like it. I guess she's got a good eye for fashion.

Either that or the judges are as simple-minded as children. :confused3

Some of those outfits are pretty awesome! Canada's is funky and cool.

I like Canada's too, even though they've taken a lot of flack for having Chinese symbols all over them. (Some people saying they're showing too much support for the "evil" Chinese govt.) I've seen a full length shot of Spain's female outfit, and let me tell you, NO ONE is going to miss them walking in. Bright yellow with a bright red scarf.

But yeah, I'm torn between thinking my 5 yr old has an EXCELLENT fashion sense, or that the judges have the fashion sense of a 5 yr old. Emma's snarky comment of the night was about Jerrell. "His hat is more ugly than the model's hat." I cracked up at her.

Loved the sewing machine drama. I sew and I have to agree that each machine has a feel to it and if you find one you like, it is hard to adjust to another one. But this is a contest, so Mr He took MY machine needs to suck it up and deal.

Jumping in to say that cracked me up! I could not believe it. That is most fierce thing that has happened so far, there wasn't even that big of a deal made over the "that was my fabric at Mood, Oh no you didn't". When will the real drama begin???

Ok and lets talk about this "Holla at your boy".

Growing up in Detroit and living in Atlanta and having a few friends with some street cred, I have never heard "Holla at your boy" in the context that Blaine is using it and teaching to Tim.

Holla at your boy, as I know means. Call me back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter