Princess Weekend 2023 (Feb 23-26, 2023)

Running my first RunDisney event ever with the Princess Half Marathon (at age of 47). My previous longest race is 4 miles (although my daily runs are about 5 miles). Running with my sister 4 weeks after her 50th birthday and my brother (who will be 49).

My goal is for all of us to finish and have fun.
Glad to see you got all your registrations. Hope it wasn't too stressful. I did my first Disney race the year I turned 50. Never would have done this sort of thing earlier in my life. Just wasn't "me"

Hello runners! This will be my first HM since 2016 and I registered for the challenge! I must be crazy! I'm excited for my 9th, 10th, and 11th, runDisney medals!

I've obviously been out of the loop for a while and I have no idea what they've been doing with transportation. I tried to look at past and other upcoming races on the site but there's no info. This impacts where I stay usually and I wanted to start looking at that/booking soon. Any idea how that's been going lately?

Hello runners! This will be my first HM since 2016 and I registered for the challenge! I must be crazy! I'm excited for my 9th, 10th, and 11th, runDisney medals!

I've obviously been out of the loop for a while and I have no idea what they've been doing with transportation. I tried to look at past and other upcoming races on the site but there's no info. This impacts where I stay usually and I wanted to start looking at that/booking soon. Any idea how that's been going lately?
All of the Disney resorts offer transportation to and from the races.

All of the Disney resorts offer transportation to and from the races.
And I've heard transportation horror stories from most, if not all, Disney resorts! Everyone is different and has their favorites. I really don't think there's a bad choice.

All onsite resorts have transportation. Monorail resorts have transportation to the Half (and in my experience, it's ONLY monorail from those resorts to the Half).

I had a very negative experience at this year's Princess Half with transportation from Beach Club. However, if we had gotten to the buses in the first half hour it would have been fine (and I might have been able to finish the race rather than my first DNF). It's the first truly negative experience I've had with onsite transportation since my first WDW event in 2013.

This past season we stayed at Caribbean Beach twice, Wilderness Lodge and Coronado Springs for the 4 race weekends and never had a problem with busses. Never waited more than 10 minutes. I admit I was feeling lucky after hearing the horror stories people were telling in the corrals.

We will be at Shades of Green, Do they provide transportation or should we walk to Poly?

Glad to see you got all your registrations. Hope it wasn't too stressful. I did my first Disney race the year I turned 50. Never would have done this sort of thing earlier in my life. Just wasn't "me"
Thanks! It was a little stressful, but I appreciate this group helping me out

We will be at Shades of Green, Do they provide transportation or should we walk to Poly?

I'm 99% sure Shades has a bus (or shares one) for all three races. You could walk to the Poly if you prefer. They would have a bus for the 5K and 10K, and monorail only for the Half. (Lots of folks who stay at Poly walk over to the TTC and catch the Epcot monorail rather than transferring. That would be assuming the walking path remains open.)

Princess Weekend Goals

Hey Royals!

Now that registration is out of the way for us, I'd love to hear your goals for Princess Weekend. Here's how I see goals. They're personal. You chose it because that goal means something to you. It's important to you. Which means your goal is important to me. No goal is too big or too small. The person's goal to finish their first 5K and another's to take down Disney World HM Record are equally important to me. So, I'd love to hear yours. And yes, even the super secret I don't want to admit it goals. :goodvibes Full disclosure, I am saving your responses to be revealed at a later time closer to race day.

Hello Fellow Royals! DopeyBadger, that is such an amazing picture of you with your daughter. Pure joy! I wish you both amazing memories in 2023 as well :wizard:

My last Princess was in 2011 and out of all the RunDisney races I have run, it was my favourite. I felt strong through the whole race, the weather was perfect and it was one of my last trips to Disney with my Mom before she passed, so it is a special memory. One of the things that stands out in my memory was not only great character stops, but WDW firemen up on the firetruck's aerial along the course, looking pretty fine! :goodvibes

Goals:
I am hoping to train well and finish feeling strong. (shhhh, I will be 58 but in my head I am still 21! :cool1:)
I am a Chi runner, so want to improve my practice as I train (it has really revolutionized my running, which is why I can still run fairly well at my "advanced" age :)))
I have never worn a costume before! So I'd like to come up with something for the 5K.
My sister may be able to travel with me as my ChEAR Squad, so I would like to show her some Disney magic and make some great memories with her

Wishing everyone great success and fulfilment of all of their goals! :grouphug:

Laura

And I've heard transportation horror stories from most, if not all, Disney resorts! Everyone is different and has their favorites. I really don't think there's a bad choice.
I have booked at POR, which is where I stayed for my last Princess, as well as W&D. I had no issue with buses to the events (Expo or races) on either trip. I did splurge when I ran the 2008 marathon and stayed at the Poly. The monorail was such a treat both to and from the race! But prices there are prohibitive, especially now that there is no Magic Express or Dining Plan. One thing new this year is the need to make park reservations if you plan on visiting any parks during your visit. I think that's something that may need addressing sooner rather than later with the weekend being a sell-out. You are able to make park reservations now if you have a room reservation or have bought park passes.

You are able to make park reservations now if you have a room reservation or have bought park passes.

To clarify..... you need to have park tickets BEFORE you can make a reservation. You can check availability without tickets, but actually making reservations requires tickets.

Re: Yoga strategy: This came up in another chat this morning, and thought it was relevant to share here, too. I loved it, but I'm not doing it again because I had to add 2 room nights onto my trip to accommodate. It was magical and I'm so glad I did it!
Assuming things operate similarly to last year: Getting a spot towards the front is dependent upon several things that you may not be able to control and I would recommend driving yourself if positioning is super duper important to you. You cannot go directly to the magic kingdom as if it were rope drop, even if staying at Poly, Grand, or Contemporary as the walking path is not open at that hour. Whether arriving by car or bus, you will first go to the TTC. There was one bus pickup time from each resort, and most buses picked up at multiple resorts depending upon number of registrants at each. By the time my bus from POFQ got to TTC, there was already a mega long single-file line but they had not begun to check people in yet. For check in, they opened about a dozen queues side by side and those moved relatively quickly. Once checked in, we were issued wrist bands and directed to board a ferry. I believe they were boarding 2 simultaneously. The ferry did not depart until it was full. I think the boat I was on left first. Once on the MK side of the lagoon, we were queued up again (in front of where you normally tap in) in two primary groups : one towards the left entrance and one towards the right. From there, they let us into the park in groups of I want to say 50 alternating left entrance and right entrance. The mats, mat bags, and waters were already set out, and you just got to pick a spot. I have no idea how many ferry boat trips there were in total.
I didn't do anything special (I was solo), but ended up on the first ferry to depart. It was empty enough still when I got on that I could take a seat on the top floor closest the side that would unload first. Once off, I just moved with the flow and wound up in the first or second wave released into the park from the right entrance. I got a wonderful spot towards the front with an excellent view of the castle...but those mats went halfway down main street. I didn't see anyone running for a spot luckily- I didn't need to scramble for a spot or anything, but I wouldn't have wanted to make a pit stop at the restroom either. I think most had a good view, unless behind a bush or something. The whole thing had a really positive vibe.

All that to say, getting on your bus first makes no difference if it makes 3 stops, so it seems that the only way to ensure early arrival is to drive (and even that doesn't guarantee you're on the first boat) Choosing which check in line to get in is akin to choosing the best lane in a grocery store. Someone might have forgotten their registration or waiver or ID or whatever and hold up the line. There's no way to know which boat is going to leave first, or which entrance they will start letting alternating groups in from.

It was a little chilly and dewy...I was very glad to have a hoody, yoga socks, and a little towel with me.

My experience with yoga didn't involve any strategy, but once our little wave (around 50 people) was let in we were told to just keep on walking because there were tons of spots in front. We chose to stay to the side-ish, but there were MANY people in our wave and others who went past us.

There were multiple teachers on little stands around the area doing the flow so we could see them and didn't have to peer up towards the castle for the main teacher.

Princess Weekend Goals

Hey Royals!

Now that registration is out of the way for us, I'd love to hear your goals for Princess Weekend. Here's how I see goals. They're personal. You chose it because that goal means something to you. It's important to you. Which means your goal is important to me. No goal is too big or too small. The person's goal to finish their first 5K and another's to take down Disney World HM Record are equally important to me. So, I'd love to hear yours. And yes, even the super secret I don't want to admit it goals. :goodvibes Full disclosure, I am saving your responses to be revealed at a later time closer to race day.

Here are some ideas if you haven't thought about it:

Finish my first: 5K, 10K, Half, Challenge
Finish with a time goal
Run a race with a family member
Overcome an adversity in your life
Parking lot Beer!
Beat a family member
Get as many character photos as possible
Get a character photo with a certain character
Do lots of park time and enjoy the races
Have fun
Run a World Record
Run a PB
Wear a certain character outfit

So, let's hear them! What's your goal? Remember yesterday you signed up for a race/yoga during princess weekend for a reason, so what is it?

My goals
-Fulfill my daughter's imagination on her Ms. Marvel costume. She had so much fun dressing up as the Scarlet Witch during the 2022 Princess 5k (link) that she convinced my wife that we weren't going to Hawaii in 2023 and rather going back to Princess 2023. She wanted to go bigger and better. So I've boughten loads of cosplay instruction manuals and we're well on our way to making her imagination a reality. I've added the follow-along in my training journal (link).
-Have loads of fun with my daughter during the 5k. It was literally what dreams are made of, and I want to experience that with her again.
-Last year's goal was a Top 3 placement in the 10k, but the top runners were in the 34 min range which is outside my wheelhouse. If the weather is good, I'd like to see a sub-40. But you take what you get, and so we'll see.
-For the HM, I ran the first half continuously, and then once I got to the castle, I started stopping for pictures. I actually kind of like how it felt in the moment to run really fast, take a picture, and then hunt down the other runners around me that didn't stop. So I might do that again. It felt more like a workout then a race with really short rest breaks (like 5-10 sec). We'll see. This time around I'm making Princess Weekend a middle point in training rather than the end goal of the training plan. I missed out on some prime spring racing season, and in 2023 I'd like to get that back.
-Be the first person to stop for a castle photo during the HM like I was in 2022.

View attachment 678480
This is so great. I LOVE the picture of you and your daughter...I'm sorry, the Scarlet Witch.

I can’t believe the virtual challenge is sold out already. I don’t know when it happened but when I went to register after coming back from a trip, it was full : (

Guess princess challenge 2024 for me! Probably best anyway, I’ll have more time to prepare

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter