Pride month at Disney...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct on the strikes.
Incorrect on feeling sorry for myself.
BTW, my mother died 20 years ago.
We could be just fine, but perhaps did not get the preferred position when competing against non white males.

I assume you can never understand seeing as though you are not a white male.
She sounds racists against white males. Apparently heterosexual white males never have any obstacles in life. Tell that to my son with disabilities.
She doesn’t have kids either so she would understand being a parent to one either.

My values deserve tolerance because they are my values. Just like your values deserve tolerance because they are your values.

Not who you were responding to but...
Conservative/Traditional:
-believing in pro-life (not hindering access to abortions, but providing alternatives....increased access to BC, support for those in crisis, funding for foster care and adoptions)
-having religious beliefs (specifically Christian)
-believing that marriage is between man/woman (but not hindering those that choose to engage in a same-sex marriage/union, respecting their ability and choice of spouse, free will and all of that)
-believe that transitioning should only be done for those 18+...no hormone replacement, no puberty blockers for underage
-women's sports are for xx women
I can respect ALL of those. I fully agree with a couple actually. BUT, I think a big part of why I can respect/tolerate all of them is you're not trying to make others conform to your beliefs. THAT'S where I think part of a big divide is. There are definitely people (again, if they're on this board, they won't admit it) who not only won't participate in single sex marriage (just to pick one topic) but don't think others should be allowed. I think THAT'S wrong (not allowing others to do something you disagree with). And you can say that about most, if not all, of the topics you list.

She sounds racists against white males. Apparently heterosexual white males never have any obstacles in life. Tell that to my son with disabilities.
She doesn’t have kids either so she would understand being a parent to one either.
The argument was that they would have less obstacles, not that they wouldn't have zero obstacles.

The saying "born on third base thinking they hit a triple" comes to mind.

Maybe you to need except the fact that some people like their conservative, traditional values and don’t want to change.
Tolerance and respect is a two way street. It’s your side that always screams the loudest and sounds the most hateful.
I will fight to the death to defend your right to your conservative, traditional values. Don't like gay marriage? Don't have one. Don't like transgender? Stay the same gender you were born. Want to surround yourself with evangelical Christians? Knock yourself out. But the problem begins when you try to impose your values on someone else. You even have the right to be intolerant. Silently, or when you're with your like-minded friends. You don't have the right to try to lessen anyone else's existence or decide what they should or shouldn't do based on your own personal values. Nor do you have the right to slander them by using outdated, hurtful terms to describe them.

It is and it's not true in every case for sure. It's just not surprising when you observe it in one of those training exercises.
“Training exercises.” Lol. Truer words have never been spoken.

Those exercises remind me of those math tricks where the supposed “magician” instructs you to pick a number, add the next higher number to it. Add 9 and divide by 2, and then subtract the original number. The answer will be 5. Every time.

It is and it's not true in every case for sure. It's just not surprising when you observe it in one of those training exercises.
No, it’s true that being a white male in the US carries a premium of privilege and opportunity. That’s the baseline.

Think of it this way: a poor disabled white male will struggle in America. But not nearly as much as a poor, disabled, woman of color (all else being equal).

I will fight to the death to defend your right to your conservative, traditional values. Don't like gay marriage? Don't have one. Don't like transgender? Stay the same gender you were born. Want to surround yourself with evangelical Christians? Knock yourself out. But the problem begins when you try to impose your values on someone else. You even have the right to be intolerant. Silently, or when you're with your like-minded friends. You don't have the right to try to lessen anyone else's existence or decide what they should or shouldn't do based on your own personal values. Nor do you have the right to slander them by using outdated, hurtful terms to describe them.
Not once in my life have I ever tried to impose my values on anyone. If you consider not going to WDW in June imposing my values on you than so be it.

No, it’s true that being a white male in the US carries a premium of privilege and opportunity. That’s the baseline.

Think of it this way: a poor disabled white male will struggle in America. But not nearly as much as a poor, disabled, woman of color (all else being equal).
No one should be made to feel guilty for being born a certain color. If you don't think that goes on in this country you don't have kids in school or college.

No one should be made to feel guilty for being born a certain color. If you don't think that goes on in this country you don't have kids in school or college.
I pointed out a simple example of how institutional racism and sexism work. No idea what you’re on about

What training exercises?
I got the posts mixed up. I thought the root of the comment you were replying to was the below post but it wasn't. My mistake.
This reminds me of an exercise I once participated in. They had everyone line up shoulder to shoulder. Then they said, "OK. I'm going to read off a list of life circumstances. If one applies to you, take a step back. If more than one applies, take a step back for each one." Obviously I don't remember them all, but they included "Person of Color," "Cis female," "Transgender," as well as things like "Raised by a single parent," "Did not graduate from high school," and "Diagnosed with a disability." By the end of the exercise, a handful of men were still standing at the starting line, while most people were 1 to 4 steps back or more. Then the leader pointed to the opposite wall and said, "That's where you're trying to get to. That's success in life." We all looked around and realized just how much further some people had to go than others. It was a very profound moment.

Annyyyyyyyway, I think this year’s pride merch is gorgeous but I’m holding off buying stuff until I can see what’s in the parks.

Or is that a mistake?

I call people by their first name, not a pronoun. How does this work do you just walk up to people and ask them their pronouns?
So you have a friend named Alex, and you're telling your sister about the trip you recently took with Alex. You're saying that throughout the entire conversation, you only ever say, "and then Alex got a great photo of the whales! Alex happened to be taking pictures of the glacier at the time, and then Alex saw movement in the water, so Alex turned Alex's camera toward the movement. I suggested that Alex move to Alex's left a little so Alex could get the glacier in the same shot..." At no point do you EVER refer to Alex ad him, her, or them? You must be exhausting to talk to...

So you have a friend named Alex, and you're telling your sister about the trip you recently took with Alex. You're saying that throughout the entire conversation, you only ever say, "and then Alex got a great photo of the whales! Alex happened to be taking pictures of the glacier at the time, and then Alex saw movement in the water, so Alex turned Alex's camera toward the movement. I suggested that Alex move to Alex's left a little so Alex could get the glacier in the same shot..." At no point do you EVER refer to Alex ad him, her, or them? You must be exhausting to talk to...
You're being ridiculous. The majority of people are fine with being called their biological pronoun. If somebody ever corrects me on that I'll oblige. I come in contact with hundreds of people a month and it's never happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter