• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pray for Japan!

Hi all!

I've been a lurker for a long time and this is actually my first post on Disboards. As a Japanese native, I thought I could share with you some info and stories regarding what the Parks were like that day, based on what I read and heard from the media, twitters, and so on. I'm not a native English speaker, so please bear with my English.

When the initial quake hit, there was a show going on in Disneyland. Donald was on stage. As the shaking began to stop, some ppl were panicking and crying, then Donald gave a "calm down!" gesture repeatedly. The same thing happened in Disneysea. Ariel was on stage when the earthquake hit. She must have been very scared because she was hung in the air. She was smiling till she gets off stage and the audience gave a big applause.

CMs were also great. After the shaking stopped,

Wait! Aftershock again!
Good, it wasn't that big.

Ok, after the shaking stopped, CMs looked around, making sure everybody was ok, and instructed them to stay away from all the buildings until safety was confirmed. Since DLR is very close to the ocean and it's the coldest month of the year, staying outside doing nothing is very hard even with warmest clothes on, so CMs distributed blankets, scarfs, and gloves which were on shop shelves. They also gave guests big plastic gift bags and cardboard boxes for wind guard.

After safety was confirmed, some restaurants and attraction buildings were open to guests who didn't have any transportation back home. (Remember all the train services around there were suspended all day that day.) in the evening, souvenir snacks (you know, little crackers and chocolate and stuff) was provided, and at night warm rice balls give to the guests. Even bread and hot soup were provide in the morning.

All that time, CMs were walking around checking if everybody was ok or in need for anything. Guests and CMs helped each other and survived thru the night. Guests even received a bag of goodies when they left for home after the train began running.

Like I said, this is all what I read and heard. I wasn't in or near either of the Parks. Though my home is in the same prefecture (state) as DLR is in, Urayasu city is damaged more since it's a coastal city. I hope, and I know, that we will recover soon.

I hope my next post is about DVC, which I became member of last summer :))

Thank you very much for reading!!

THANK YOU so much for sharing. It is always great to see people come together in times like these. I wish you the best and hope your family is all okay and that things will start to go back to normal and clean-up can so begin. I will put you in my prayers :hug:

I don't know. A Disney park is a bit like comfort food - when you're going through a lot of stress, if you have the ability to get away from it for the day and kind of "recharge your batteries" then it's a good thing. You need that feeling of being someplace "normal" in the midst of the chaos. I'm not saying that providing assistance is less important, or that people would choose a Disney park over providing assistance, but having been through several hurricanes and knowing how the mental and physical stress can eat away at you after a while, it was really nice to have that WDW AP so I could forget about it for a few hours.

Planned power outages, which include Urayasu city, started today. TDR will lose power from 6:20~10:00 and 16:50~20:30. This will likely to continue for a couple of weeks. And the planned power outages (scale is unknown for now) will probably continue until the end of the next month. So, I don't think they have a choice.

my heart is breaking for the Japanese....i cannot stop thinking about them....
those who perished so horribly and those who now must live in the face of the disaster that has befallen them (and the potential nuclear catastrophe)...
other than America and Israel, Japan is the country closest to my heart....where i spent so much of my childhood and teen years....
i pray for them....i pray that god will give them the strength to survive and recover.....

Hi all!

I've been a lurker for a long time and this is actually my first post on Disboards. As a Japanese native, I thought I could share with you some info and stories regarding what the Parks were like that day, based on what I read and heard from the media, twitters, and so on. I'm not a native English speaker, so please bear with my English.

When the initial quake hit, there was a show going on in Disneyland. Donald was on stage. As the shaking began to stop, some ppl were panicking and crying, then Donald gave a "calm down!" gesture repeatedly. The same thing happened in Disneysea. Ariel was on stage when the earthquake hit. She must have been very scared because she was hung in the air. She was smiling till she gets off stage and the audience gave a big applause.

CMs were also great. After the shaking stopped,

Wait! Aftershock again!
Good, it wasn't that big.

Ok, after the shaking stopped, CMs looked around, making sure everybody was ok, and instructed them to stay away from all the buildings until safety was confirmed. Since DLR is very close to the ocean and it's the coldest month of the year, staying outside doing nothing is very hard even with warmest clothes on, so CMs distributed blankets, scarfs, and gloves which were on shop shelves. They also gave guests big plastic gift bags and cardboard boxes for wind guard.

After safety was confirmed, some restaurants and attraction buildings were open to guests who didn't have any transportation back home. (Remember all the train services around there were suspended all day that day.) in the evening, souvenir snacks (you know, little crackers and chocolate and stuff) was provided, and at night warm rice balls give to the guests. Even bread and hot soup were provide in the morning.

All that time, CMs were walking around checking if everybody was ok or in need for anything. Guests and CMs helped each other and survived thru the night. Guests even received a bag of goodies when they left for home after the train began running.

Like I said, this is all what I read and heard. I wasn't in or near either of the Parks. Though my home is in the same prefecture (state) as DLR is in, Urayasu city is damaged more since it's a coastal city. I hope, and I know, that we will recover soon.

I hope my next post is about DVC, which I became member of last summer :))

Thank you very much for reading!!

Thank you PoohFuji ~ sending you and everyone in your country our LOVE HOPE and HEALING :goodvibes ~~ bless you all and know that your country's quiet grace amid this horror is simply inspirational......there is so much the world could learn from your nation.

Congratulations on DVC :cool1: and I agree your English is better than most Americans :scared1:

Again, Bless you all in our small world ♥ :flower3:

I want to thank PoohFuji for her post. I have been searching the internet for news on Tokyo Disney......everything I read is very general and I appreciate her taking the time to share on a personal level. My daughter is a cast member who recently auditioned for a position in Japan.....so my heart sank upon hearing the news.....I know that all cast members were obviosly not at work that day and I am hoping that the ones who had the day off are all safe....I am not sure we would hear otherwise....so I keep praying. Anymore info please post. Welcome to DVC PoohFuji!:littleangel:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter