Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

My travel funds at the moment are about $75 per person. That is converting to roughly 6,100 RR points. I'm considering changing my trip to Vegas, which requires roughly 14,000 RR points ($242). I would have to purchase an additional 8,000 RR points if I wanted to use my 6,100 RR points. If my math is correct, that will cost me about $220. If I don't convert my travel funds to RR points, I could apply the $75 travel funds to my $242 ticket purchase, and I would owe $167. Am I missing something? Unless my calculations are off, it seems to me that if you have a low amount of travel funds, it may not make the most sense to convert them to RR points unless you need the flexibility with no expiration date.
I have found that if I don’t have enough RR points to purchase a full flight, it is not worth paying to purchase RR points.

Is $242 for round trip? If it is, how much is one direction? Is it worth using points to purchase 1 direction then booking a separate reservation for the other direction and use $$ for that?

Its one way, unfortunately!
In that case if it were me I would leave my travel funds as funds and apply them to the flight and pay the difference. All that being said, if you need to cancel your flight after Sep 7, your travel funds (if nothing changes) may need to be used for travel that is completed 1 year minus a day from your purchase date. so many unknowns right now!

My travel funds at the moment are about $75 per person. That is converting to roughly 6,100 RR points. I'm considering changing my trip to Vegas, which requires roughly 14,000 RR points ($242). I would have to purchase an additional 8,000 RR points if I wanted to use my 6,100 RR points. If my math is correct, that will cost me about $220. If I don't convert my travel funds to RR points, I could apply the $75 travel funds to my $242 ticket purchase, and I would owe $167. Am I missing something? Unless my calculations are off, it seems to me that if you have a low amount of travel funds, it may not make the most sense to convert them to RR points unless you need the flexibility with no expiration date.

Your math is correct. In this case you're better off using the travel funds and not converting to points.

Steve

Southwest has made additional changes to the October flight schedule. Do not rely on just looking at reservations in your account, for changes, as flights are not updating very quickly. Check Southwest emails and look at the actual flight schedules, for peace of mind. Due to reduced capacity (open middle seats) through at least October, as well as a reduced schedule, some of the flights have very limited or no availability. If you receive an error, when you try to change a flight that qualifies for changes (with banner), contact Southwest for assistance. They will do their best to accommodate you, if at all possible.
I strongly second this advice! Book your flights early and check them often! They reduced the number of flights on our fall break dates from 3 non-stops plus multiple others per day (probably at least 10 flight choices) down to 3 flights total per day (1 non-stop). Luckily, I saw the email about this latest drastic change and was able to keep us on the 1 non-stop. A few days later and now all 3 flights are close to full and only available for $500 each one-way.

I've been monitoring my November flights and keep adjusting when the flight drops. It's been $99 each way for a few weeks. Today both legs are over $300 each. Crazy increase!

I've been monitoring my November flights and keep adjusting when the flight drops. It's been $99 each way for a few weeks. Today both legs are over $300 each. Crazy increase!

Ones I'm looking at just dropped hard, but only the "off" times, not the direct flights... I'm holding out for the red banner, or will probably cancel...

Saw the same thing. There’s not Wanna Get Away fairs being offered on any of the direct flights I have booked right now- from November to April. Something must be up...

Last edited:
Saw the same thing. There’s not Wanna Get Away fairs being offered on any of the direct flights I have booked right now- from November to April. Something must be up...
I came here to see if anyone else noticed what I had this morning. I checked a couple of other cities, close and far from my city, and the small availability of Wanna Get Away fares are exorbitantly high! 🤷‍♀️

I just checked my (now cancelled) flights for Sep 12-21. BUF-MCO. Prices are great!!! $109 there and $99 return so not all wanna Get Away prices are up this morning. The prices above are almost identical to what we paid on Mar 12, the day the flights opened.

I came here to see if anyone else noticed what I had this morning. I checked a couple of other cities, close and far from my city, and the small availability of Wanna Get Away fares are exorbitantly high! 🤷‍♀️
Checked again and it all seems back to normal!

Yup! Weird glitch- everything is back to normal. Wanna Get Away Fairs showing again at average prices.

In a fit of unwarranted optimism, I bought tickets for a trip to Disneyland in November on June 29, 2020. It now looks more and more like that trip is not going to happen. Normally, if I cancelled I would expect to receive travel funds that have to be used by June 29, 2021. However, in reading here, is it possible that is I cancel before September 6th, the travel funds would be good until September 7, 2022? And, if I do it before September 7, I could exchange those travel funds for reward points which never expire?

In a fit of unwarranted optimism, I bought tickets for a trip to Disneyland in November on June 29, 2020. It now looks more and more like that trip is not going to happen. Normally, if I cancelled I would expect to receive travel funds that have to be used by June 29, 2021. However, in reading here, is it possible that is I cancel before September 6th, the travel funds would be good until September 7, 2022? And, if I do it before September 7, I could exchange those travel funds for reward points which never expire?
Yes- that is correct. I believe you have until Dec 15th to convert the funds to points. You would need to set up a Rapid Rewards account if you don't already have one.

Yes- that is correct. I believe you have until Dec 15th to convert the funds to points. You would need to set up a Rapid Rewards account if you don't already have one.

Thank you. That means we have a week to make a decision.

There are almost $2,000 worth of airline tickets involved for five people but each does already have a Rapid Rewards account. We have a reservation for a two bedroom suite at Disney's Paradise Pier and the SWA tickets but not any park tickets. Without park tickets we would not be able to get any park reservations. Since Disneyland has cancelled resort reservations through the middle of September, has not announced when it will open or when ticket sales will resume, that is a lot of money. We made the resort reservations last November so having been planning this trip for a long time. It is time for a family conference,

Hi all. I finally sadly decided to cancel our November 2020 trip. I have been reading this, but am still confused.

If I cancel my November trip and get TTF, will they be converted to September 2022? The wording on the website says funds created because you cancel a flight between March 1 and Sept 7 2020 will expire Sept 7 2022.

Or can I cancel the November flights, and use the TTF to book a trip before 9/7/20 and cancel that in order to get the extension?

Thank you for your assistance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter