Pop vs. Caribbean vs. Port Orleans FQ

emerald3582

Earning My Ears
I've started planning my family's first and probably only trip to WDW for October 2021. My DDs will be 16 & 17. Since there's nothing else to do during quarantine, I've been researching just about everything for this trip but still can't decide on where to stay. I like PC because of value, Skyliner, and 1 bus stop. However, I have a resort day worked into the middle of our trip and I don't think PC will be enough to entertain us for the day, but we could always go to DS. Therefore, I am also considering CB and POFQ. CB for the skyliner, pool reviews and other amenities. POFQ for it's compact resort, 1 bus stop, shared facilities with POR, and boat service to DS. Like everyone else, I'm trying to balance price, Disney transportation (as we won't have a rental car), and family comfort. Opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

My husband and I have been planning our next Disney trip for 2021 (hopefully) and were trying to decided between the same three resorts! I have stayed at all three resorts in the past, but I've only stayed at CB with kids--two teenage boys. This was back in 2016 before the Skyliner. If saving money is a priority, go with POP. The theming is cute but might seem to kitschy for the teens. However, you can bounce on over to other resorts on your resort day or do a Skyliner resort crawl and visit other resorts like Riviera and take it up to EPCOT and walk over to Boardwalk, which the teens may enjoy. CB was a hit with our teens. They liked the pool and the food court and enjoyed the overall beachy atmosphere. Although I LOVE PORFQ, I see it more as a romantic resort for adults. And the food is crazy good. But that's just me!

These three resorts are my favorites, so I think your family will enjoy any of them. I definitely think the Skyliner access option is a huge selling point now that it's in operation. We think we are going to go with POP to save some money when we go again and are planning to take the Skyliner up to CB to go to Banana Cabana (which is awesome) at some point. We are also wanting to do a Skyliner resort crawl like I mentioned earlier and go check out Riviera and Boardwalk since we have never been to either of those resorts. If the price suits you, I'd probably recommend CB as first choice if I had to pick between these three. You'll have a little more space in the room, TWO sinks, Banana Cabana, a table service restaurant, great food court, cool main pool with smaller pools in each section, Skyliner access, and Riviera Resort is withing walking distance or one stop on the Skyliner depending on which section you're in. Hope this helps!

If the pool is a big part of your vacation, then CBR wins. I prefer POFQ overall, but there is only one pool, with a very small kiddie slide. At CBR the main pool area is nicer, and there are also quiet pool scattered around the resort.

Honestly, I would go with CSR. It has a huge pool area with a nice slide, and a large hot tub. I think the food offerings are much better too than those at CBR.

I've started planning my family's first and probably only trip to WDW for October 2021. My DDs will be 16 & 17. Since there's nothing else to do during quarantine, I've been researching just about everything for this trip but still can't decide on where to stay. I like PC because of value, Skyliner, and 1 bus stop. However, I have a resort day worked into the middle of our trip and I don't think PC will be enough to entertain us for the day, but we could always go to DS. Therefore, I am also considering CB and POFQ. CB for the skyliner, pool reviews and other amenities. POFQ for it's compact resort, 1 bus stop, shared facilities with POR, and boat service to DS. Like everyone else, I'm trying to balance price, Disney transportation (as we won't have a rental car), and family comfort. Opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I've just discovered that you can rent DVC points to stay at a Deluxe resort for less than a Value resort! I'm looking into David's DVC Rentals as that seems to be the most reliable. Now the decision is between BWV, BCV, and Poly (if I want to splurge and have an extra sink/shower). I'm leaning towards BWV as it is walking distance between Epcot and HS.

First off - I have never done DVC, but there has been a lot of angst on these boards from people who rented points and lost trips to the COVID closure. I've seen multiple posters swear they will never rent points again because of the issues they had through the crisis. I would do some serious research on the pros and cons of point rental before I booked anything.

To answer your original question - Skyliner! Skyliner! Skyliner! I was at Pop in Feb and could not believe how much I loved that thing! As a solo who is basically at WDW for the Parks, I'm happy at Pop, but CBR sounds like a better fit for you. I love POFQ, but for me, it is Skyliner for the Win!

I've just discovered that you can rent DVC points to stay at a Deluxe resort for less than a Value resort! I'm looking into David's DVC Rentals as that seems to be the most reliable. Now the decision is between BWV, BCV, and Poly (if I want to splurge and have an extra sink/shower). I'm leaning towards BWV as it is walking distance between Epcot and HS.
We have stayed at all three of these DVC resorts and they are all great! For what it’s worth here are my highlights of each resort.

if you are planning to stay in a studio Poly has the largest rooms with two bathrooms. One with your traditional sink, toilet, and tub. The other has a walk in shower and sink. poly also has a great pool,trader sams, and watching happily ever after from the beach is magical!

BCV has the best pool on property it’s almost like a small water park. you can also walk over to boardwalk and enjoy that as well. It’s really close to Epcot!

BWV great restaurants really close and a quicker walk to Hollywood studios.

we have also had great stays at pop and POFQ

I wouldn’t book through David’s right now without reading the thread about him on the DVC board right now. Things are a bit off the rails.

Of your three choices, I would choose CBR. We actually like the pool at Coronado Springs better, but find ourselves leaning towards CBR lately because of the Skyliner. The benefits of CBR would be a decent pool, good food choices, fairly recent renovations, walking distance to Riviera for additional dining options, and of course being at the main hub of the Skyliner which means you can access any of the three Skyliner routes without having to transfer. So it also opens up easy access to BC/YC, Boardwalk, Swan/Dolphin for entertainment and dining options as well as Art of Animation/Pop Century if you want to visit there.

Pop is a great resort too, but I think CBR would cater more towards older teens and is a better location. POFQ is a beautiful resort too, and you can use the amenities at POR. But we really disliked the one bus stop which became a madhouse there, because there are no formal queues like there are at value resorts. And with the resort being so small, it always felt busy and crowded.

I wouldn’t book through David’s right now without reading the thread about him on the DVC board right now. Things are a bit off the rails.

Yes, of all the times to be wary of trying out renting DVC points, this is the time to be the wariest. None of the parties involved (renters, sellers, David's) can know or control what will happen with Covid, quarantine, closures, or potential Disney responses to any of the above.
If you're curious, wade through this currently 14-page thread.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/clarification-on-davids-rental-situation.3801721/

I love POFQ; I also like Pop Century, but for different reasons. POFQ is beautifully themed and landscaped, has the beignets, and has all-around great service.
I also like Pop Century, mostly for the Skyliner and the convenience in distance to Hollywood Studios and Epcot.

I'm here following along. We have stayed at Pop 2x now and love it, but exploring our moderate options since we've never had that opportunity before. Our family is super duper into the Skyliner and we have smaller kids so I'm leaning towards CBR for the reasons already mentioned.

Update from the OP. I'm now also considering Riviera for all the same reasons as wanting to stay at CBR and then some. Getting into BWV or BCV looks like it will be a struggle during F&W and Riviera will be the newest property. If I get shut out by all 3 properties, then CBR it is. Probably will try to rent directly from a DVC owner. And yes, I will do my due diligence and make sure they are a reliable owner. As well as being cheaper than a broker, I feel that owners are more willing to work with the renters than a broker. And yes again, I will buy travel insurance with a CFAR as this will be my biggest expense along with tickets. (I actually always do this as I find the small investment of $200 to protect as much as $8000 is worth it.) I've also done the math on different DDP plans and have decided the best approach is to buy discounted Disney gift cards to pay for food is the way to go. If I can get into a DVC property, I will also most likely rent a car to get us to MK, AK, and DS. Thanks to all who have replied. I really appreciate your insights.

I was assaulted by mosquitos every single time I left my room when I stayed at CBR. It has never happened anywhere else, for that reason, I don't like the resort. Irrational maybe, but I was so miserable that trip! I love POFQ when I know I will be spending a good amount of time at Disney Springs. The boat is just so convenient. For trips when I will be spending most of my days at the parks, Pop. Great room refurb, dedicated buses, reasonable cost, and skyliner access. However, I would not want to spend a resort day at Pop.

From your update, I would absolutely choose Riviera from all of the options. Be careful about renting points though, it has been quite the event lately in that area.

Assuming they're back in full swing by October 2021, if you plan to spend every day in the parks, POP is a good choice. However, if you want to spend some time at the resort, POFQ and CBR would be better. And there's no way I would be renting DVC points any time soon.

Yes, of all the times to be wary of trying out renting DVC points, this is the time to be the wariest. None of the parties involved (renters, sellers, David's) can know or control what will happen with Covid, quarantine, closures, or potential Disney responses to any of the above.
If you're curious, wade through this currently 14-page thread.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/clarification-on-davids-rental-situation.3801721/
YES I agree ....READ everything before you sign on the dotted line!!!

And to answer your question ..we like POP the reason #1 the price (Disney is so out of touch with the resort pricing) #2 Skyliner!! Now 5 years ago we stayed there (Pop) and I swore never again it was awful. I was spoiled by the the Deluxe resorts. But Iam sorry $500+( and that is on the cheap side) a night at Yacht Club I just wont do any more. So my husband talked me into Pop the last trip ..Love the Skyliner! Pop has 1 bus stop which is a plus and its just 2 parks that need busing or flag down a taxi and go. Rooms are small but we survived with 3 adults.

Last edited:
1-POFQ (your feet will thank you)
2-POP (your wallet/purse will thank you)
3-CBR Nice resort, nice food options, but a “little” overpriced & your feet will hate you (depending upon where your room is located).

I would go with CBR. Great zero entry pool, skyliner that can take you to several places Hollywood Studios, Epcot, Boardwalk, and Riviera. Plus the table service restaurant Sebastian’s at CBR has had some great reviews.
POFQ has one smaller pool and no table service restaurant. POR has a table service restaurant, but have heard a lot of bad reviews.
There was not much to do at POFQ except take the boat to Disney Springs and swim.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter