Poly Resort Stay July 2016 TR

Thank you for the report. We love the Poly. What a nice trip - to wing it. We are a family of 6 and could never wing it. We love the Kona Cafe macadamia nut pancakes as well. We are heading to the Poly in August and love your pictures. Thanks again.

Thanks! Yes, I would think winging it is not in your vocabulary...But big families are blessing :-) I thought I would enjoy the pancakes more..but I thought they were just okay..I prefer the pancakes at Cracker Barrel actually.lol.

Have fun on your trip..I loved the Poly vibe...we'll definitely be back.

Ok..I looked through my photos and realized I hardly took any pics on our last day...so I will just finish this report.

We slept in on Sunday and packed up and left our hotel room at check out time of 11am. I had the bellhop pick up our luggage and store our items in storage so we could do one more day of exploring. They even have a refrigerated section in storage and that is where they stored our fruit and water. We went for breakfast at Kona cafe as I wanted to try the famous Tonga Toast.

After we were done with breakfast, we wanted to check out the Contemporary resort and see what all the fuss was about...No offense to anyone who loves it..but I was not very impressed. I guess the draw is that it is so close to Magic Kingdom and it has monorail access. We did check out Chef Mickey and saw the gang...from a distance. I didn't like how OPEN it was, it was very noisy. As I had stated earlier, my DD does not like to be up close to the characters We are going on a Disney cruise in a few weeks and they are VERY accessible there..but we have to do a hide and seek with them. lol. She is fine with seeing them from a distance and she likes the Sail Away show, providing we are on the higher deck....But she loves the princesses...but anyway, I digress.

We went to the arcade for a little while, I loaded her card with $10 worth and told her to go have fun...I checked out the shopping. After a bit of walking around, we decided to hop back on the monorail to Poly and do lunch and some more relaxation before driving back home.

Last edited:
We stayed at Bay Lake Towers once and loved it. Maybe you will give it a chance one day. I think you'd like it very much!
How did you like the Tonga Toast?
Have a great cruise:boat:

Tonga toast- I really wanted to love it...but it was just WAY too sweet for my taste. There were hardly any bananas in the middle either. The portion was huge..but sadly, it's not something I would order again. I would gladly stick with my Mickey Waffles for breakfast from now on.
BTW..for those that don't know, you can get Tonga toast for cheaper at Capt. Cook, but without the strawberry sauce. Frankly, it's so sweet, I wouldn't add anything. When we got to Capt. Cook's they had already switched over to lunch so we had to go to Kona Cafe.

image.jpeg

Arcade at CR

image.jpeg
When we got back to Poly I wanted get the Polynesian Seafood coconut curry one last time-it was just soooo delicious! My DD was still full from breakfast so she just got some treats for the drive home.

This time they added lots of parsley- it was lemony, buttery, curry flavor was a little spicy but not much, nice coconut flavor and the shrimps and scallops were cooked to perfection.
Served with sticky white rice.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Hope you enjoyed this TR. I have to say, I really loved the Poly, and skipping the parks did not take away from our trip. Actually, I think we enjoyed this more as we weren't rushed and were able to truly relax and take in the resort. After all, we know Poly isn't the most affordable so why not just take a trip for the resort experience.

My next TR will be on the Disney Dream in a few weeks...:-)

We stayed at Bay Lake Towers once and loved it. Maybe you will give it a chance one day. I think you'd like it very much!
How did you like the Tonga Toast?
Have a great cruise:boat:

See post above about Tonga toast. CR felt like a building in Manhattan..lol...When I vacation, I prefer a laid back vibe..I felt it was too noisy and too "industrial"...if you know what I mean. I did happen to catch a room as the door was propped open and they did look lovely. How's the soundproofing?

If I happen to snatch a good deal, maybe one day...but my next resort stay will be at Boardwalk Inn. I want to still check out others before I consider CR.

Last edited:
Looks like you had a great time ! I always go with just my granddaughter so it is just two of us also and we love it !

Do you remember how much the cartoon artist was? We will be there soon and my daughter is the same age as yours, I think she would love it! And thanks for the review of the food, I didn't know about those delicious looking Mickey cookies, and my husband will love that seafood curry. Always good to have a dish to recommend to others.

Do you remember how much the cartoon artist was? We will be there soon and my daughter is the same age as yours, I think she would love it! And thanks for the review of the food, I didn't know about those delicious looking Mickey cookies, and my husband will love that seafood curry. Always good to have a dish to recommend to others.

I believe it was $35 plus $20 for the frame. The seafood curry was awesome and VERY filling. It was similar to thai curry, but not as spicy.

I believe it was $35 plus $20 for the frame. The seafood curry was awesome and VERY filling. It was similar to thai curry, but not as spicy.

Thank you! He can handle spicy Thai, so we are good there. I'm glad you had a great time, I can see this being a great resort for a resort only stay. Our upcoming trip is our second and hopefully not last time at the Poly!

Hope you enjoyed this TR. I have to say, I really loved the Poly, and skipping the parks did not take away from our trip. Actually, I think we enjoyed this more as we weren't rushed and were able to truly relax and take in the resort. After all, we know Poly isn't the most affordable so why not just take a trip for the resort experience.

My next TR will be on the Disney Dream in a few weeks...:-)

Thanks it was a great trip report with great pictures. When we go to the Poly I have a day where we are not going to any parks so we can enjoy the resort. I love doing that. Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter