Poly/BC comparison

Masonmj84

DIS Veteran
Just finished a split stay at both resorts (our first time staying deluxe).

My impressions:

Better lobby: Poly. Love the vibe (and smell) of the GCH. Love the water feature (and sad that it may be removed). BC's lobby is nice (and gets the edge on Christmas decorations due to the merry-go-round) but Poly wins here.

Better grounds: Poly by a landslide. My parents, who were with us and have been to Hawaii on multiple occasions, said being at the Poly feels more like being in Hawaii than actually being in Hawaii. And the tiki torches at night just give off such a special feel. The Beach Club grounds, in contrast, are nothing to write home about.

Better rooms (excluding bathroom and bed): Poly by a slight margin, mainly because the rooms are a bit larger. The rooms in the Poly are also somewhat darker, but that didn't bother me. The quality/upkeep of the rooms and decor were, at least in our case, about even (maybe a very slight edge to BC).

Better bathroom layout: BC. At Poly, we were in Tokelou where the bathroom/vanity is together and there is only one sink. At BC, the bathroom and vanity are separate and there are two sinks.

Better beds: BC. I found the mattresses to be about equally as comfortable but the BC wins here because they beds have duvets instead of bedspreads (I understand the new Poly rooms will be upgraded to have duvets). I thought the BC pillows were also slightly more comfortable.

Better noise factor: Poly, but this is in large part due to the fact that the air conditioners at the Poly are much noisier than at BC. While it sounds counterintutive to say that this made the Poly noise factor better, I found this to be white noise that drowned out any noise in the interior hallways. In contrast, at BC, interior hallway noise was much more perceptible.

Better pool (excluding water slide): BC. While I like the Volcano Pool, it's on the smallish side for a resort of the Poly's size and just can't begin to compare to SAB. SAB also has hot tubs, which the Poly lacks (although Poly is supposed to be getting one soon).

Better waterslide: Poly. Liked the Volcano silde better than the Pirate Ship slide. Too much of a pain to walk to where you get on the Pirate Ship slide and it's bumpier.

Better location: Tie. If the Monorail never broke down, I'd go with the Poly because, IMO, being within a single Monorail ride of both MK and EP beats being within a close walk to EP and a longer walk (or boat ride) to HS. However, the Monorail seems to be an ever increasing crap shoot (I realize there are other options, such as boats, but, when paying Monorial resort prices, it's a major bummer when its down). And, in the case of BC, having a 5-10 minute walk to both World Showcase and the Boardwalk is incredibly cool (my father commented that one could stay at the BC for a week, only visit EP and the Boardwalk, and still have a great vacation).

Better restaurants: Poly, but only if you count the resort itself (if you give the BC the benefit of the YC, it becomes a virtual tie - and if you count all of the restaurants within walking distance of each resort, BC wins by a landslide).

Better CMs: Tie. Didn't notice a discernable difference here.

Better bussing: Inconclusive. Didn't ride the busses enough to make a fair comparison (part of the benefit of a split stay of this type is that you can almost get away with not using the buses at all).

Other guests: Poly. I thought the other guests, on average, seemed friendlier and more relaxed at Poly than at BC (might have had something to do with the Poly being more spread out with all of the different buildings).

Overall vibe: Poly. I like the overall theming of the Poly better. Plus, the resort, as a whole, seemed much more relaxed and much less chaotic than the BC (for example, BC marketplace & lobby in the AM = total zoo).

Overall value: Tie. Overall, I like the Poly somewhat more but the Poly is somewhat more expensive. For most, the question, "which parks do you plan to spend the most time in?", is probably the most important thing to ask when deciding between these resorts.

Final thoughts: if you don't mind changing resorts once during your vacation, doing a Monorail resort/Epcot resort split stay is, IMO, a primo way to do a Disney vacation. For example, we were able to watch Wishes on the beach twice (with a 5 minute walk to our room) and, on the same vacation, have a 5 minute walk back to our resort from Illuminations (seen on the bridge between France and England). Plus, as noted above, we hardly had to use the buses (except to go to AK). We were also very close to almost all of our ADRs.

Thank you so much for this comparison! We are currently booked for POR but will most likely be upgrading to a deluxe and have been going back and forth between Poly and BC. This is exactly the kind of information DH needs to read.

Thanks for this! This has literally been my debate for next year's trip the last few weeks!

That is a great comparison! I would agree with all of it(though we stayed at the YC rather than the BC) except for the bathrooms. We prefer the Poly bathrooms because everything is behind a closed door - those sleeping hear less noise from those getting ready in the morning.:thumbsup2

I also did a split stay BC/Poly & agree with your points. I'd stay at either again in a heartbeat, I love them both for different reasons.

I would chose BC as having the better location but that's just my personal preference. I love to end each day in Epcot having a snack in WS & then watching Illuminations, so its priceless to me to be able to walk back to my room in 5 min. But if you spend most of your time at MK then Poly would be a better fit.

I think the BC is better. :)

My impressions:

Better lobby: BC - It is very cozy and small whereas the Poly's lobby is huge, multilevel, noisy and not too comfortable.

Better grounds: Poly - The grounds at the Poly are better.

Better rooms : BC. We stayed at the Poly in 2002, so maybe there has been a rehab since then, but I thought the BC rooms were a lot better, A LOT. The Poly rooms were larger, but not as nicely furnished. And the BC rooms are brighter.

Better pool BC hands down.

Better location:BC - There is so much more within walking distance there that Poly doesn't even come close. Sure, Poly is convenient for one park. But we don't go to MK everyday of our trip, while we almost always go into Epcot every night. So there is no comparison here.

Better restaurants: BC is lacking in good restaurants, so the Poly wins here. But if you count all the restaurants within a fifteen minute walk, BC wins.

Overall value: BC - It is cheaper and we spend more time in Epcot. :)

And my own category:

convenience to getting a cup of coffee in the rain When we stayed at the Poly it was cold and rainy and we were in the building closest to the TTC (which was actually nice for getting to the monorail) it was a rather long walk to get a cup of coffee in the morning. I like the nice dry corridors in the BC.

I don't think I will ever stay at the Poly again. :sad2:

Thanks for taking the time to provide this comparison. We are staying at the Poly in June, but I'm thinking a split stay for our next trip would be a great idea.

Thank you for taking the time to put together such a great comparison! Very well done and much appreciated! :goodvibes

To the OP. Thank you so much for doing this comparison. This has been something we've been debating for awhile now. As we want to stay at both the Poly and the Yacht club (instead of the BC) at some point. You may have just convinced us to do the split stay. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter