Poll: Your Riviera Resale price

At what price would you buy Riviera on the resale market (Be limited to staying only at Riviera)?

• $160

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • $150

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • $140

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • $130

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • $120

Votes: 40 10.2%
  • $110

Votes: 28 7.1%
  • $100

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Under $90

Votes: 210 53.4%

• Total voters
Personally I hope they are low... I have Bay Lake, Animal Kingdom, Grand Floridian and Polynesian contracts... I would love to have one that is Epcot/HS areas but dont want to buy at BC or BW because of their expiration... it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. If its under 90 a point Id be very tempted in buying esp a smaller contract but if not I have great other locations so Im not worried... I do still believe in buy where you want to stay since I go all the busy times for DVC to begin with.

Can Resale Owners use RCI? I thought that was one of the Perks that Disney took away from Resale.

ADDENDUM: Okay, I looked it up, and I guess they can still use RCI. But, keep in mind, RCI charges additional fees, which I think are on the order of $300 per exchange.

actually -- DVC has waived the $95 fee through 2019. Perhaps only for "full" members.

• Through 2019, Members can continue to enjoy waived transactions fees for new RCI reservations, a $95 value.
https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/destinations/list/world-rci/rci/

You guys are depressing. 😐😂😂 I’m still considering buying and buying direct. Maybe I’ll split it into two smaller contracts in case I decide to sell one day. Not the plan but who knows. Anyways, I can see a smaller contract being attractive to someone who already owns elsewhere and just wants the booking advantage at DRR. I mean, I don’t think it will bottom out pricing wise but if it did and say I already got 10-12 years from it then anything you make back would be pretty good IMO.

You guys are depressing. 😐😂😂 I’m still considering buying and buying direct. Maybe I’ll split it into two smaller contracts in case I decide to sell one day. Not the plan but who knows. Anyways, I can see a smaller contract being attractive to someone who already owns elsewhere and just wants the booking advantage at DRR. I mean, I don’t think it will bottom out pricing wise but if it did and say I already got 10-12 years from it then anything you make back would be pretty good IMO.

We are considering it too. The stats that were posted last month though make me think it's a lot less concerning than the boards emphasize. Only around 15% of contracts aren't held by the original owners... And we are looking at almost 30 years. Most people buy direct and hold. As many say, don't look at it as an investment, enjoy your vacation and accept that if you have to sell you may take a bath - relative to other dvc properties. But hold and rent out, if prices are too low...

The big question is how hard will it be to book at 7 months.

If it is hard, then owning there becomes that much more important. If it is on the easier side, then not so much.

Hard to book at 7 months = resale will hold strong. "Easy" = price < 90.

Take BCV and BWV - very popular during F&W. Like everywhere else, popular in December. That right there is 4 months where you need to own to stay there. That drives the price up some.

As it was stated, every contract that gets resold can not swap out, so that will make it harder. It was stated that 3 of a resort gets sold a year, wonder how much of that is resale of a resale. Guess it raises over time, and not going into differential equations.

Other point that I have not seen made, although a small one, if you buy resale at Riviera, and your points go into holding, they are probably all but gone. I have only had to use holding points once, and I was able to find something that worked, going across all the resorts. I think it will be very hard to get something at RRV 60 days out. Hello breakage!
The holding point problem is something I hadn't even considered. Holding points are difficult to use at other resorts, and so are worth less. But at Riviera, they will be almost impossible to use, and therefore worthless!

I wonder if Disney has even considered that Holding point problem. Though they probably don't care. Just STICK IT TO THOSE OWNERS! And THAT is what Disney really thinks of Riviera (resale) owners.
It extends past the holding points to any points you missed the banking window on, or banked points as you near the end of the "next UY". In general, with the only option of Riviera, which I am guessing will have tight availability inside of 7 months, more owner's are going to find themselves losing points. Currently, you can spend points on less preferred options. For resale Riviera owners, if you don't have your room reserved 7 months out, you stand to lose those points. And to me it is even worse than "stick it to the resale owners", Disney actually benefits if that happens. As points go unused, Disney can now do cash reservations with that "unused inventory". Not sure how that would work just Riviera room specifically, but I am sure the mouse has.....
OR maybe riviera resale members will all become pros at RCI exchanges. I'm pretty sure you can transfer points your points to RCI inside banking window, as well as points already banked...although I'm not sure if you can transfer points in holding. Once exchanged -- you get 2 years to use them in that system.
My guess is that we'll see a lot more "fire sales" of reservations rather than expiring holding points. If the choice is something vs nothing, I know what I'd choose!

Last minute RCI deposits come with restrictions, so I'm not sure how popular those will be relative to renting. Could be valuable for cancellations farther in advance for points that can't be banked, though.

As a new poster, I thought about not posting, but that's not me.

I wouldn't touch it now for more than $100 for a different reason. The restrictions also hurt value, but: No-one seems to remember the points value during the last recession - 2008-2013?. We are way.... way.... way... overdue for a recession. When that hits, DVC resale points are going to take huge hits. If you are willing to wait 6 months- 2 years, you are going to have some great value to buy up. If you buy now, you are buying peak.... and you may freak out when the resale value loses 40% or more in the near future.

A few years after the 2008 financial crisis, I bought a nice chunk of Boardwalk for $70/pt. I'm not selling that now, even with those nice gains, because of the changes to benefits and being grandfathered in, but when prices bottom in the near-middle future, I'm ready to buy more at much lower rates.

My guess is that we'll see a lot more "fire sales" of reservations rather than expiring holding points. If the choice is something vs nothing, I know what I'd choose!

Last minute RCI deposits come with restrictions, so I'm not sure how popular those will be relative to renting. Could be valuable for cancellations farther in advance for points that can't be banked, though.
I was always under the impression that the "fire sales" were ressies made with non-holding points that could not be banked.
If you realize you can't go and its in "holding" time, that's not a lot of lead way for someone to pick the ressie, make travel arrangements, etc, etc. Plus, plane tickets tend to be higher, etc, etc. Hence my assumption
Would be interested to know what kind of points the fires sales are (usually) made from. But something is certainly better than nothing!

I was always under the impression that the "fire sales" were ressies made with non-holding points that could not be banked.
If you realize you can't go and its in "holding" time, that's not a lot of lead way for someone to pick the ressie, make travel arrangements, etc, etc. Plus, plane tickets tend to be higher, etc, etc. Hence my assumption
Would be interested to know what kind of points the fires sales are (usually) made from. But something is certainly better than nothing!
I was just using fire sale as a generic term for reducing the price until someone bites.

My thought was no matter when someone needs to cancel (even if it's several months in advance of arrival) if they can't reschedule right then, they will opt to keep the reservation and rent it rather than cancel and let points eventually expire. Even if they have to rent the reservation for less than the "going rate", they'd still get something. Points are no good if everything is already booked.

As a new poster, I thought about not posting, but that's not me.

I wouldn't touch it now for more than $100 for a different reason. The restrictions also hurt value, but: No-one seems to remember the points value during the last recession - 2008-2013?. We are way.... way.... way... overdue for a recession. When that hits, DVC resale points are going to take huge hits. If you are willing to wait 6 months- 2 years, you are going to have some great value to buy up. If you buy now, you are buying peak.... and you may freak out when the resale value loses 40% or more in the near future.

A few years after the 2008 financial crisis, I bought a nice chunk of Boardwalk for $70/pt. I'm not selling that now, even with those nice gains, because of the changes to benefits and being grandfathered in, but when prices bottom in the near-middle future, I'm ready to buy more at much lower rates.

only problem is that people have been saying this same thing for at least the past 4 years. Even just three years ago when I got into this, BWV was at $85 and BCV was at $95. And those prices were largely considered "insane" by long time members. I remember when BCV list prices were over $100 -- many seasoned vets thought everyone had lost their minds. Well -- all those people that have been sitting on the sideline for the past 4 years waiting for the recession are now kicking themselves for waiting.

yes -- a recession is inevitable...but trying to time it is a fool's errand.

Waiting on the sideline has its own set of issues (e.g., you're giving up on going on vacations for however many years (which has some sort of lost value)).

And what if the next recession is two years from now (and prices go up another 15% in the interim) and the recession is just a micro-recession and the prices only dip 20%? You'd be giving up 2 years worth of vacations and save about 10% over today's prices.

If you have the money and can afford it, there is no time like today.

I wouldn't pay $5 for it. I don't like the look of the resort of the rooms or the lack of Disney theming. I'd rather stay at SSR or OKW if I ran out of my points and had to buy more.

I may get flamed for this, but after many discussions with my hubby and a few other owners, we all pretty much agree that Riviera is a bit of a confused mess.

Sure, the rooms are pretty...kind of generic, but pretty. However, it just doesn't seem to make any sense to have a Riviera/European themed DVC smack dab in front of a Caribbean themed resort. The building actually reminds me of Marriott's Grand Chateau in Las Vegas and is a bit of a monstrosity.

Don't get me started on the skyliners, cause I'm not a fan, but those also play in to our dislike of DRR.

Like a few others, I wouldn't buy there at any price.

Well -- all those people that have been sitting on the sideline for the past 4 years waiting for the recession are now kicking themselves for waiting.

I personally don't remember much talk of a recession 4 years ago though? I think the talk was more about potential turbulence around the Trump election. There seems to be a steady thought of potential recession hitting sooner than later.

I could just be misremembering though. So I don't think the person you responded to would likely have made the same point then. I also have no clue if its true as I am no financial analyst.

I personally don't remember much talk of a recession 4 years ago though? I think the talk was more about potential turbulence around the Trump election. There seems to be a steady thought of potential recession hitting sooner than later.

I could just be misremembering though. So I don't think the person you responded to would likely have made the same point then. I also have no clue if its true as I am no financial analyst.

Over the last few years, there always seems to be someone saying that current prices are too high, and they'll wait for the inevitable recession to purchase. Not saying that it only happened 4 years ago...just that over the last 4 years, I've seen this talk not infrequently.

See e.g., https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...rnia-aulani-at-7-months.3482333/post-55138716

Over the last few years, there always seems to be someone saying that current prices are too high, and they'll wait for the inevitable recession to purchase. Not saying that it only happened 4 years ago...just that over the last 4 years, I've seen this talk not infrequently.

See e.g., https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...rnia-aulani-at-7-months.3482333/post-55138716

That doesn't have to do with the comment though. The point was that a recession is coming and with that they think prices will tank.

You tried to say 4 years ago if you waited for a recession you would be kicking yourself. When 4 years ago that person would not have said that.

Others coming up with pricing being too high I can't comment on but I somewhat agree if a recession hits prices are bound to go down on the resale market.

That doesn't have to do with the comment though. The point was that a recession is coming and with that they think prices will tank.

You tried to say 4 years ago if you waited for a recession you would be kicking yourself. When 4 years ago that person would not have said that.

Others coming up with pricing being too high I can't comment on but I somewhat agree if a recession hits prices are bound to go down on the resale market.

Well - I'll say this - there WILL eventually be a recession, and when one happens it's quite likely prices will go down - no difference from any vacation real estate (or real estate in general) in that scenario.

Now - do I think prices will "crash", no not really - but I could see them reel back 20-25%. But as you point out - 4 years ago the prices were about 30% lower than they are today, so waiting could save you 20%, or waiting could also see the prices go up another 20%, and then roll back 20%, and be the same as they are today only you have 4 less years to enjoy it.

I just don't think this particular resale market will ever go away completely. There will always be people selling, and there will always be people buying. Now - as far as Riviera goes - its still a big question mark - because it's going to be the only product that is truly a DIFFERENT product from the other 14. I don't see any way it drops below HHI and VB prices, but could it land below SSR & OKW, it's a possibility if people really are against being "stuck" at one resort. SSR at least has the appeal of "sleeping around". Riviera only appeals as Riviera.

Purchase price is just a small percentage of overall cost of ownership. The real cost is in the maintenance fees, and the starting fees on Riviera are way too high. People demonize VB for a variety of reasons, but the biggest one being the high MFs. Well Riviera is only about $1 less than VB. And that's the starting point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter