Poll: Your Riviera Resale price

At what price would you buy Riviera on the resale market (Be limited to staying only at Riviera)?

• $160

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • $150

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • $140

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • $130

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • $120

Votes: 40 10.2%
  • $110

Votes: 28 7.1%
  • $100

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Under $90

Votes: 210 53.4%

• Total voters
We flew out from the west coast specifically to tour DRR in early July. Prior the trip, we studied this forum and others, and realized, we were not going to buy DRR. However, the tour was impressive and we did love the size of the rooms for our family of 5. We gave it some serious thought, but at the end of the day the resale restrictions prevented us from buying. The theming isn't really to our tastes (Reflections might be) and our cast member relative didn't give us a great feeling for the Skyliner...

So for now, I will continue to watch SSR resales and dedicated DVC reservations for rent! All of Disney's changes to DVC may keep us on the sidelines permanently.

and our cast member relative didn't give us a great feeling for the Skyliner...
May be a little off topic, but as it relates to Riviera value, could you elaborate on this a little more?

For the first time ever, Riviera is now offering incentives on the point-cost equivalent for guaranteed weeks. Not sure how much to read into it, but I can’t help but wonder why Disney would make this change now. It applies to both Riviera and AUL.

May be a little off topic, but as it relates to Riviera value, could you elaborate on this a little more?

For the first time ever, Riviera is now offering incentives on the point-cost equivalent for guaranteed weeks. Not sure how much to read into it, but I can’t help but wonder why Disney would make this change now. It applies to both Riviera and AUL.

Concerns with Skyliner - they cannot run in the thunderstorm. they do not have AC. If people need to be removed from the skyliner due to shut down or maintenance or emergency or whatever, there is an emergency boat with stairs that can be used over the water. If there is an emergency, there is a communal portable toilet that can be used in the car - with the others in the same unit as your audience?!

Concerns with Skyliner - they cannot run in the thunderstorm. they do not have AC. If people need to be removed from the skyliner due to shut down or maintenance or emergency or whatever, there is an emergency boat with stairs that can be used over the water. If there is an emergency, there is a communal portable toilet that can be used in the car - with the others in the same unit as your audience?!
Thanks so much for sharing.

Did they have first-hand experience with the skyliner? A lot of people have lamented the absence of AC on the units, while others have put faith in the passive ventilation system. Is this a matter of experience, conversations with those with experience, or just a matter of falling into one side of the speculative divide? I'm honestly asking because it would be news if this was first-hand experience from a CM about discomfort riding in the units.

Did they have first-hand experience with the skyliner? A lot of people have lamented the absence of AC on the units, while others have put faith in the passive ventilation system. Is this a matter of experience, conversations with those with experience, or just a matter of falling into one side of the speculative divide? I'm honestly asking because it would be news if this was first-hand experience from a CM about discomfort riding in the units.

Merely voiced concerns. No first hand experience. Rumor, not news.

There was a recent Rivera that was a resale does anyone know if that went though I believe it was under $120's if I'm remembering correctly.

While I agree that the resale restriction will have a negative impact in the short term I think it will level out in the long run. As the resort contracts expire resale contracts purchased after the recent resale restrictions will have fewer and fewer choices of places to stay. This essentially puts resale contacts on the legacy resorts with the same restrictions down the road.

Merely voiced concerns. No first hand experience. Rumor, not news.

There is a gondola that was recently built at the Oakland Zoo that was built by the same company (Doppelmayr). The ventilation is fine, but there design differences (and of course Oakland is much cooler). The windows on the sides are glass at the bottom, but the top half is open with bars across the opening on the side windows (the doors and the opposing window). The windows in the front and rear are closed. It's always been comfortable, though its rarely above 80 degrees or so in Oakland, so it's difficult to say how well that translates to Disney. It's basically like sitting outside.

I think the Disney gondolas look like they have the ability to open vents on all sides. It's going to be hot in the summer, no doubt, I would imagine similar to sitting on a bench outside would be my guess. Edit: maybe like a slightly stuffier People Mover

Last edited:
We flew out from the west coast specifically to tour DRR in early July. Prior the trip, we studied this forum and others, and realized, we were not going to buy DRR. However, the tour was impressive and we did love the size of the rooms for our family of 5. We gave it some serious thought, but at the end of the day the resale restrictions prevented us from buying. The theming isn't really to our tastes (Reflections might be) and our cast member relative didn't give us a great feeling for the Skyliner...

So for now, I will continue to watch SSR resales and dedicated DVC reservations for rent! All of Disney's changes to DVC may keep us on the sidelines permanently.
We actually signed a contract for Riviera after our tour because we were so impressed with the tour and the models (though our salesperson was pretty pushy and wasn't giving straight answers). In hindsight, we regretted it due to the restrictions and so we cancelled. While we now think it makes the most sense for us to just buy resale, I'm still kind of hung up on not being able to stay at Riviera (or future resorts) if we do that. We were toying with the idea of buying just a 100 point Riviera contract and then a larger resale contract elsewhere, though we got a lot of feedback saying that was still probably not the smartest idea. So I guess we'll see!

Interesting info about the Skyliner... thanks for passing it on!

In less than 2 months we'll finally get first hand feedback for the Skyliner. We'll either count the deaths or the people saying "I told you so". I bet for the latter, the gondolas will be confortable enough to "survive" the 10 minutes ride. Identical systems have been built in Hong Kong and Singapore which can be even hotter and more humid than Florida. The only thing that concerns me is how Disney will operate it. Will they be conservative and stop it at the slightest sign of wind or lighning far away? If the Skyliner is grounded, will they send buses quickly enough or will they let peole wait a long time to go back to the resort?
If I were interested in Riviera for its easy access to Epcot and DHS, I'd wait just a couple of months to have those questions answered.

I literally rode a gondola yesterday in thunder, rain, lightening, and wind in Colorado and lived to tell about it. This was going down about 1500 ft too! It wasn’t terrifying, death defying, and uncomfortable. They don’t need to shut them down during this kind of weather even if they choose to do so. Shockingly, we were fine. If they do choose to shut them down during this kind of weather, it’ll be just like WL with the boats. During bad weather, you take the busses. Why is it so acceptable for WL during such weather but such a deal breaker for Riviera? :confused3

I heard some stuff - I have not heard if it passed ROFR or not.
What inside info do you have??? I'd be shocked if Disney takes it no matter what the price, especially if they really are struggling a bit with Rivera direct sales.

Edited to make some sense!

Last edited:
The only thing that concerns me is how Disney will operate it. Will they be conservative and stop it at the slightest sign of wind or lighning far away?
It's going to follow similar protocol that a ride would with lightening in the area. Except worse, because the entire system will be shut down when lightning is imminent/possible on any part of the entire system (whereas they may shut down some rides at MK but not HS, for example).

As for the temperature, I've been kinda spewing this repeatedly, but it is overhyped. Disney may be the first to do a lot but they certainly aren't the first to use gondolas in heat. I have been on gondolas in 90+ degree temperatures, it feels like sitting in the shade on a hot day. Not hot, not cool, just ambient. It's not a big deal, you don't even think about it.

The problem with the Skyliner isn't necessarily the ease or speed of access to places, it's the mental hurdle. Ever think about how people think twice about driving somewhere if they have to drive over a bridge nearby? Even though mileage wise its the same as going somewhere else, for some reason the fact that they are crossing a bridge mentally makes it feel longer. This is where Riviera will separate from BW/BC. It's different when you can look outside and see your dining, entertainment and theme parks vs knowing you need to transport there.

Last edited:
I literally rode a gondola yesterday in thunder, rain, lightening, and wind in Colorado and lived to tell about it. This was going down about 1500 ft too! It wasn’t terrifying, death defying, and uncomfortable. They don’t need to shut them down during this kind of weather even if they choose to do so. Shockingly, we were fine. If they do choose to shut them down during this kind of weather, it’ll be just like WL with the boats. During bad weather, you take the busses. Why is it so acceptable for WL during such weather but such a deal breaker for Riviera? :confused3
Are you sure that they didn't shut it down after you rode in lighting? Surely, Disney will empty all Skyliner lines before shutting it down due to imminent lightning. But they absolutely will not run them when lighting is in area. Wind (even high wind) and rain is no problem. But lightning is for sure a no go.

Yes, they will have busses, but how quickly is a good question. I am sure they don't have a fleet of busses and drivers on call ready to go for 20 minute closures. They will need to pull them from somewhere else, likely spreading out Riviera bus service to non-skyliner destinations and spreading them to HS and Epcot. Though, as of right now bus service is not going anywhere anyways (per Disney Parks Moms Panel). Perhaps these potentially common closures is why.

Are you sure that they didn't shut it down after you rode in lighting? Surely, Disney will empty all Skyliner lines before shutting it down due to imminent lightning. But they absolutely will not run them when lighting is in area. Wind (even high wind) and rain is no problem. But lightning is for sure a no go.

Yes, they will have busses, but how quickly is a good question. I am sure they don't have a fleet of busses and drivers on call ready to go for 20 minute closures. They will need to pull them from somewhere else, likely spreading out Riviera bus service to non-skyliner destinations and spreading them to HS and Epcot. Though, as of right now bus service is not going anywhere anyways (per Disney Parks Moms Panel). Perhaps these potentially common closures is why.

I’m positive. They kept on going the whole time. There were thunderstorms all afternoon, and the gondolas didn’t stop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter