Play dough on the airplane?

Hmm... didn't realise that I repeated myself on this thread! :lmao:

Seriously, though, there are lots of things which may pass security but which are really not friendly on board an airplane. That includes playdough, DVD players without earphones, smelly things, toys which make loud noises, etc.

Air travel is already stressful for most people; why bring something which will just increase that stress level, either for you if it is taken away or you are told to put it away, or for others around you?

Today I watched two kids play for an entire two hours on a flight with a Ratatouille cling toy which the airline handed out. The DVD player was completely ignored.

Not sure about if it allowed or not. You could always just contact your airport and ask to be on the safe side. With that said, I have read other replies, and think it could turn out to be a disaster if you brought it. Someone could not like the smell, the stuff is messy. My 3 yr old nephew plays with that stuff all the time over here at my house, and I always make sure to put his play dough mat down and have him use that to keep his play dough on it. So if you do decide to bring it make sure you bring a small play dough mat that he can put on the tray table. If not play dough how about some coloring books and crayons? Or a couple little cars to play with?

Play-dough also contains wheat, which is a known allergen. Leaving Play-Dough residue on a tray table or seat arm could be hazardous to the next person who sits there if he or she has a wheat allergy. :guilty:

Play-dough also contains wheat, which is a known allergen. Leaving Play-Dough residue on a tray table or seat arm could be hazardous to the next person who sits there if he or she has a wheat allergy. :guilty:

But they serve sandwiches and other wheat products on flights and there is no restriction on bringing wheat products on the plane (as opposed to the occasion request for a peanut free flight). If you are going to use that as an argument for no Play-Dough, you'd have to ban sandwiches etc. as well. These foods leave crumbs which can easily get squished into trays/seats/seat arms.

And I have a gluten intolerance (celiac is not a gluten allergy) so I am affected by contamination, so I am not making light of the issue.

But they serve sandwiches and other wheat products on flights and there is no restriction on bringing wheat products on the plane (as opposed to the occasion request for a peanut free flight). If you are going to use that as an argument for no Play-Dough, you'd have to ban sandwiches etc. as well. These foods leave crumbs which can easily get squished into trays/seats/seat arms.

And I have a gluten intolerance (celiac is not a gluten allergy) so I am affected by contamination, so I am not making light of the issue.

I agree - and I know that there is no way to ban the "big 8" on airplanes (we have a kid with severe food allergies) but I just think it's another reason not to bring stuff on there if you don't have to. Luckily, we do not have airborne issues - just heavy contact and ingestion - but I always feel for those that do.

I figure - if it's avoidable, why not avoid it? :)

We had our play dough confiscated a couple of years ago, we were told it was a disallowed substance by the TSA. I would bring some sticker books, coloring books or a box of band aids. It takes a while to unwrap the band aids, and then they can stick them on their arms, etc. Have a great trip!!!

OP - I looked on the TSA and it isn't a prohibited item so if you want to try the smaller tubes you should have no problem -

I wouldn't worry about it other reactions to you bringing it - if your child cries through the whole trip it will irritate others, if your child has playdough and is content they will complain about the smell - I have even had people tell me if my child is chatty it will irritate them - you just can't please everyone so do what is right for you.

I get migraines from perfumes, bath and body works spray, too much hand lotion but that certainly doesn't stop other people from wearing them. The sound of another person chewing gum annoys me to the point I want to scream but people still do it. I know I can't control what other people do.

I agree with others who responded. If it's not brought, they won;t miss it and will be happy with other toys. Playdough does smell and is messy. I have some that is in my carpet permanantly after I even used a mat and swept right after use. So no need to do that to a plane. Bring a DVD palyer with headphones and other quiet games. I like the bandaid idea. boxes go fast at our house if not hidden as DD thinks she has a boo boo everywhere! LOL! Not sure how old your child/ren is/are, but we jsut bought our 4YO a leafrog leapster with a few games. She loves this thing, and I plan to bring it along this year on the plane. I am even going to buy her a new game as a surprise for the trip for something new. So if you don't have one of those, maybe look into that. I think they are for age 3or 4 and up.

Last year when flying out of Denver, we were stopped at security and my kids backpacks were looked into because they had tape gum (which comes in a round hard plastic case). The TSA officer said he thought it was play doh, which is not allowed. He let the tape gum go. (I guess it showed up on the xray). We have flown many times before with it, without incident. I was just surprised, as I have never thought to fly with play doh.

Just my experience....

i agree with some of the other posters. playdough - while it is a long time favorite of children - can be messy and it smells (which is known to cause headaches for a lot of people in my family at least - i'm sure there are others as well.) if you can avoid bringing it and have a happy entertained child, i would recommend trying to avoid it. if you think it is an absolute must to surviving the flight try it and see how it goes. worst case scenario it is confiscated or the flight attendant asks you not to use it.

OMG I thought it was just me that got sick from the smell of Play-Doh!! I hesitated even reading this thread because I thought "if I tell them the smell makes me gag they'll think I'm crazy." Looks like I'm with the majority for once! No to the Doh! No to the Doh!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter