• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Plans have been filed for DVC expansion at Caribbean Beach Resort

Alright fine I will. Just a heads up I hate being this type of person but because of the uncertainty and the fact that I've had more than one recommendation to do so from seasoned veterans (with good arguments) I might as well. Although I will add that I hate being this type of person to call and complain whenever I should be lucky I'm going in the first place. Funny this trip was supposed to be a celebration for my mom finally getting divorced from a man who always called customer services pissed as all hell and now I have to do so just for the sake of ensuring my family getting away from something that they don't seem too bothered by in the first place.

Someone on this board got this resolution:

On the phone right now. There was not availability anywhere for our party of 5 during our days. CM offered $75 off per night of stay and one extra fastpass per person per day.

I didn't necessarily want to get into the details but one of their children has autism and being on site, spending time at the resort, etc. - it's what they need to do to to have the best vacation and care for her properly. She also has many food aversions so what will be left will not meet her needs. They informed Disney of this and they still said "too bad"

Imo, they should have just given everyone a cheaper rate for the stay proactively in the form of a gift card. Then they could use that gift card to buy meals elsewhere on property or whatever else they wanted. Disney keeps the cash and people feel their getting something special for the inconvenience.

Alright fine I will. Just a heads up I hate being this type of person but because of the uncertainty and the fact that I've had more than one recommendation to do so from seasoned veterans (with good arguments) I might as well. Although I will add that I hate being this type of person to call and complain whenever I should be lucky I'm going in the first place. Funny this trip was supposed to be a celebration for my mom finally getting divorced from a man who always called customer services pissed as all hell and now I have to do so just for the sake of ensuring my family getting away from something that they don't seem too bothered by in the first place.

You can be firm and polite. What do you want as a solution to the problem? A lower rate? A different resort? Fastpasses? Are you willing to cancel outright and try again in the future? Figure that out, then either type up what you plan to say or even better email guest services. Problem, Cause, and Solution to make you happy. Do not be afraid to walk away and cancel if the solution is not to your satisfaction. I really hope this works out, this type of corporate abuse of customers really upsets me. They need to learn this is not ok.

Imo, they should have just given everyone a cheaper rate for the stay proactively in the form of a gift card. Then they could use that gift card to buy meals elsewhere on property or whatever else they wanted. Disney keeps the cash and people feel their getting something special for the inconvenience.

Seriously.

Would it have killed them to proactively attach a $25 per night of stay E-gift card to the email they sent out?

It would have saved them at least that amount in other concessions they are probably going to have to dole out now. And you can never get back goodwill. At least not at the same rate that you lost it by.

Here's a huge part of my complaint... as a Disney veteran, on numerous occasions when I go to book a resort, I have received the "this resort is undergoing renovations", I feel at that point it is MY choice to book that resort at the offered price. When I booked Caribbean, there was NO such warning... of course, I would never book this property with the knowledge of the whole common area being shut down... but I was not given that choice.

The food court is actually a HUGE deal on this trip as we are running 3 runDisney races in April, and I specifically booked this location because of the food court set up and location to the races. I do not feel like we should be charged the booking amount or we should be moved to another moderate location at NO upcharge.

I have sent an email with my request, I have little to no hope at this point. If it wasn't for the races, I would most definitely cancel this trip. I am beyond disappointed in Disney.

I am not saying call and complain. Usually the nice approach works very well. Invoke empathy with the rep. State, "I'm sure you would be displeased to find out that the resort you were going to be staying at is having unexpected construction which will affect your stay too". Just be very nice and invoke empathy and demand nothing. State, "some things that I would find acceptable solutions would be ....." and name your terms.

There's no reason to call and complain. Just call and state, "I don't feel comfortable paying the price I'm being charged to stay at the resort when it is undergoing significant closures that will affect my trip that I was not made aware before booking, but much later and would rather have the option to be moved to another resort that is equal or better in amenities for the same cost. Be nice and invoke empathy. It wins every time.

Perhaps you can get a free upgrade on your dining plan. Perhaps they will give you an upgrade and a gift card. If the first rep says no, keep climbing the ladder.
I wasn't going to ream them out but I was going to feel bad playing the customer card
Well damn, that's excellent
You can be firm and polite. What do you want as a solution to the problem? A lower rate? A different resort? Fastpasses? Are you willing to cancel outright and try again in the future? Figure that out, then either type up what you plan to say or even better email guest services. Problem, Cause, and Solution to make you happy. Do not be afraid to walk away and cancel if the solution is not to your satisfaction. I really hope this works out, this type of corporate abuse of customers really upsets me. They need to learn this is not ok.
They did say refurbishments when I booked in their defense but when I checked today the refurbushement was listed as one of the smaller pools and not about the food court

I will keep this in mind whenever I call tomorrow, I do need to check with the rest of my group though if they want me to speak up

Holy c$@p, I would be LIVID if I had a stay booked at CBR. The last time we stayed there they booked us in a room with no pool (under construction) and didn't even have the decency to tell us prior or even at check-in. That was enough to turn me off of the resort probably for good.(unless there is something decent done with DVC)

Yep...I'd want a free upgrade to a nicer resort too.

Imagine what a mess it will probably be if there is so much construction all the food venues have to be closed.

I'm a lifelong pixie dust fool but this lack of concern for guest satisfaction is getting ridiculous!

That was me. After what I read yesterday I was expecting no luck. I called the number on the email. Asked a few questions about what was going to be closed and when and what the plan was for food at the resort and then I asked if I could look into switching resorts. We are at 60 days tomorrow so super short notice. Transferred to someone in reservations. Told her I could not budget more for this trip. She looked but couldn't match our dates. Asked if we could change to one day earlier but I'm not switching my flights. At that point she offered 75 off per night and an extra fast pass. I didn't even really put up a stink. Wonder if they got a lot of calls and super unhappy people yesterday so decided to get their **** together for today.

I wasn't going to ream them out but I was going to feel bad playing the customer card

Well damn, that's excellent

They did say refurbishments when I booked in their defense but when I checked today the refurbushement was listed as one of the smaller pools and not about the food court

I will keep this in mind whenever I call tomorrow, I do need to check with the rest of my group though if they want me to speak up

That's totally different than closing the main dining area. Unless you were planning to stay in pirate rooms, it would've never effected you. Ask for what you want!

So I had sent a note to some of the Disney executives complaining about this - and really, about how the guests were being treated after the fact more than the actual closure and I got a call from George Kalogridis' office (not him, but a person on his staff) about it and that they want to try to work with people to remedy their situation - so I am thinking they heard the complaints!

So I had sent a note to some of the Disney executives complaining about this - and really, about how the guests were being treated after the fact more than the actual closure and I got a call from George Kalogridis' office (not him, but a person on his staff) about it and that they want to try to work with people to remedy their situation - so I am thinking they heard the complaints!

I look forward to hearing some further updates on this.

The Gondola is NOT to address the theme of the new DVC resort. The new DVC resort is the HUB for the Gondola, the Gondola is just the new cheap link for Epcot, DHS and AoA and new resort.

Net, don't focus on cable car for theme, its based on cost and less bussing needed.

I think that the tower will be virtually un-themed as well. Just a bedroom and kitchenette with a distant view of a cost-reduced fireworks show and a 10 minute gondola ride to dining and drinking ... of sorts.

Good work Phil. I hope they can work it out for your friends.

Come on...you're from New York, aren't you?!?

You can DOOOOOOIIITTTT!!!

I think that the tower will be virtually un-themed as well. Just a bedroom and kitchenette with a distant view of a cost-reduced fireworks show and a 10 minute gondola ride to dining and drinking ... of sorts.

You're being too honest...nobody wants you to logically rain on the parade of "moderate deluxe"

not to jump in on you debate, but I am pretty sure its been expected that the new expansion at CBR is NOT CBR themed. CBR is being reduced, and that whole area will be new development and themed to a different area.

Add to that, you are missing the focus. The Gondola is NOT to address the theme of the new DVC resort. The new DVC resort is the HUB for the Gondola, the Gondola is just the new cheap link for Epcot, DHS and AoA and new resort.

Net, don't focus on cable car for theme, its based on cost and less bussing needed.

I'm not disputing any of that...don't really care either.

But there is a uniform theme and design at WDW and has been that way since It was a swamp...very deliberate.

The partial cable car system doesn't quite gel on the surface...we'll have To see.

Just call and keep complaining.

They should compensate you, someway.

Even if you get some extra FP's, it would be worth the trouble.

I wouldn't settle for that, but if you're fine with the freestyle machine and a mug, at least get yourself an extra FP or two for the lack of amenities from the time you booked until now.

Customer service call centers are centered around getting people off the phone. The longer you stay on, the better for you. They'll make concessions just to get you off. Just a tip.
They really did people who were booked at WL a solid when they announced plans. Rebooked, extra-FP, vouchers. Hell, for the people who stayed they even gave out cool little pin sets (my best friend got me one when he stayed there last year). There's no way in hell I'd be staying at CBR without some form of either discount, rebate, compensation, or I'd want moved. Demand it.

I'm not disputing any of that...don't really care either.

But there is a uniform theme and design at WDW and has been that way since It was a swamp...very deliberate.

The partial cable car system doesn't quite gel on the surface...we'll have To see.

How does the Monorail fit a Polynesian theme then?

How does the Monorail fit a Polynesian theme then?

It absolutely doesn't...but the monorail fit the phase 1 master plan of a unified/experimental design in planning...and that was the goal.

This cable car thing needs some more "fleshing out". They could have done this 20 years ago...SHOULD have...in fact.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter