Planning a trip with a 5 y/o NO experience with kids HELP!

This is all really helpful!! Thank-you!! I really never realized how different is was being an AP as oppose to a resort guest. Also didnt realize how big of a difference a 5 y/o would make!! LoL I always had this misconception that kids just wanna go go go, and dont really tire out as much as adults. LOL I'm just thankful we can do w/e the kid wants and no matter what I know i'll have a good time!

One thing I’m confused about is how you’re planning for a Christmas party that has not been announced?

One thing I’m confused about is how you’re planning for a Christmas party that has not been announced?

My cousin came for the exact same weekend the year before, and went to the party, also on Touring plans it says the park is going to close at 6 that Thursday, which is what time they close when there is a party. She wasn't coming b/c of the party, she has to go/come that weekend no matter what. What she said to me was "well the day we fly in if there's a party we would do that like last time". It wasn't really planning for a party as much as it was stating thats what they would do that day if there is/was one. Plus, it doesn't really matter at this point anyway, b/c they got a package that included park hoppers for each day they are here, so now they wouldnt do the party anyway. It was all hypothetical at the time. However, with all that being said, I'm assuming if they did a Halloween one, they would do a Christmas one.

Since you have AP's, apparently live nearby and often go to Disney, I think what matters more is what your out of town cousin's family wants to do since they likely don't get to go as often. I would view it more as a chance to visit Disney with your cousin's family. They may enjoy doing different things then you do when you go. Everyone has their own idea how to best enjoy Disney and there is no one right/wrong way. You can likely return more often then your out of town relatives. While you can offer suggestions based on your frequent visits, I would let them take the lead on planning.

Social media isn't where I would look for advice. Most of those tend to filled with annoying people who enjoy making rude remarks and talking down to others. Forums like these will tend to have more people who actually go to Disney and can offer current/accurate advice based on their experiences.

Since you have AP's, apparently live nearby and often go to Disney, I think what matters more is what your out of town cousin's family wants to do since they likely don't get to go as often. I would view it more as a chance to visit Disney with your cousin's family. They may enjoy doing different things then you do when you go. Everyone has their own idea how to best enjoy Disney and there is no one right/wrong way. You can likely return more often then your out of town relatives. While you can offer suggestions based on your frequent visits, I would let them take the lead on planning.

Social media isn't where I would look for advice. Most of those tend to filled with annoying people who enjoy making rude remarks and talking down to others. Forums like these will tend to have more people who actually go to Disney and can offer current/accurate advice based on their experiences.

I agree with you 100% I dont care what we do at all. I was just asked how I would do it, but I knew I had seen online a lot of people saying kids couldn't park hop. So I thought I would at least ask. I got ya on looking on social media for advice, doesn't go over well LOL that part of your post made me laugh outloud. If anything I'm more excited to go and let them do the planning and stuff, b/c when I go with my BF we're all about rides and just walking around at AK. My BF's not the biggest fan of shopping, and meeting characters and doing things a 5 y/o would wanna do, so it's also going to be a difference experience for me too, so Im really excited!

Can I ask a question though? Apparently, my cousin does want to do AK, but her soon to be sister-in -law doesn't. How would you navigate that? Do I stay out of it? Do I offer an opinion then let it go? AK is my favorite so I dont know how to approach this. LOL If both didn't want to do it, I wouldn't care and let it go since im there more than any other park, but knowing now my cousin really wants to go, I dont know what to do.

This wasn't is my original post, but due to medical issues, im normally not allowed to drink, but due to an odd gap in my meds, Im able to have a drink the night Im staying over, so thats literally ALL I care about. I just want to be able to have 1 nice drink at any park, esp since this is the 1st time I wont have to drive home until the next day. Any suggestions on your favorite drink? I'm not someone who ever drinks, or likes the taste of pure alcohol, but It's exciting to be able to have one for the first time in years, so I at least wanna try. LOL Thanks!!

This is all really helpful!! Thank-you!! I really never realized how different is was being an AP as oppose to a resort guest. Also didnt realize how big of a difference a 5 y/o would make!! LoL I always had this misconception that kids just wanna go go go, and dont really tire out as much as adults. LOL I'm just thankful we can do w/e the kid wants and no matter what I know i'll have a good time!
Many kids DO want to go, go, go…until they drop. And then no one is having fun, lol! That’s why parents build breaks into their plans. A 5 year old is most likely not going to say “I’m tired and think we should head back to the hotel. I’ve seen enough for today.” They’re going to want to do every fun thing they see, not realizing they’re overtired and over-stimulated. That’s when tantrums start. The first time we did Disney with our kids I way over planned us and it was too exhausting.

So I think being flexible is key. I would try to identify the kid’s top three or so things they really want to do and accomplish those attractions. Everything else is a bonus!

Many kids DO want to go, go, go…until they drop. And then no one is having fun, lol! That’s why parents build breaks into their plans. A 5 year old is most likely not going to say “I’m tired and think we should head back to the hotel. I’ve seen enough for today.” They’re going to want to do every fun thing they see, not realizing they’re overtired and over-stimulated. That’s when tantrums start. The first time we did Disney with our kids I way over planned us and it was too exhausting.

So I think being flexible is key. I would try to identify the kid’s top three or so things they really want to do and accomplish those attractions. Everything else is a bonus!

Yea, I was way over planning it, b/c I wanted them to be able to see everything, then realized thats not gonna happen in the short weekend they have, so Im just gonna go will the flowwww. LOL This time I'm just going along for the ride. LOL I enjoy Disney no matter what anyway. Like I said before this is completely different than what Im using to doing at Disney, so that makes it fun, in itself.

Yea, I was way over planning it, b/c I wanted them to be able to see everything, then realized thats not gonna happen in the short weekend they have, so Im just gonna go will the flowwww. LOL This time I'm just going along for the ride. LOL I enjoy Disney no matter what anyway. Like I said before this is completely different than what Im using to doing at Disney, so that makes it fun, in itself.
That’s the perfect mindset and I’m sure you will all have a great time. It will be different, but it really is fun to see Disney from a kid’s perspective!

That’s the perfect mindset and I’m sure you will all have a great time. It will be different, but it really is fun to see Disney from a kid’s perspective!

I dont know if it was here, or reddit, but I def said that one of my fav things about Disney is seeing/hearing kids re-actions getting on / off rides. There was a kid on slinky dog the other day who yelled "OMG it's the best ride in the world!!!! This is the best day ever!!" had me dying! Also another time we were on FoP and this kid was crying b/c he didnt want to get on, but his parents made him. 2 mins later all I hear is giggling and laughing, when he got off he was saying it was the best thing to ever happen in his life! (he was like 7).. haha I LOVE it.

That's so true. Taking little kids - the magic is that those really ARE the characters in their mind. 5 is borderline but sometimes they find it difficult separating fantasy from reality. Our 2.5 yo at the time was enthralled by Elsa.

That's so true. Taking little kids - the magic is that those really ARE the characters in their mind. 5 is borderline but sometimes they find it difficult separating fantasy from reality. Our 2.5 yo at the time was enthralled by Elsa.

haha this is funny to me, b/c I couldn't understand why they wanted to go to Epcot SOLELY for Frozen, but now it's starting to make more sense... LOL
Also maybe it's just me, but if I had a choice between Epcot and AK it's AK every time no question, well 1 exception, we went to Epcot for fireworks, since thats not a thing at AK, but to go for a half day for the first time ever, I would personally go w/AK every time. I'm also an adult and not a 5 y/o LOL

haha this is funny to me, b/c I couldn't understand why they wanted to go to Epcot SOLELY for Frozen, but now it's starting to make more sense... LOL
Also maybe it's just me, but if I had a choice between Epcot and AK it's AK every time no question, well 1 exception, we went to Epcot for fireworks, since thats not a thing at AK, but to go for a half day for the first time ever, I would personally go w/AK every time. I'm also an adult and not a 5 y/o LOL
There is also the Frozen sing a long at HS

I always say a break during the day is the best. Going back to the hotel for a few hours, always saved us. But since you have such a short time, I would suggest taking advantage of little breaks. For instance, a nap on the bus ride, over to another park. A show, (The Hall of Presidents) worked every time. It's nice and cool, and dark. They fell asleep every time. Even the people mover was good to catch a little shut eye. Just take advantage of those type of attractions. Their mom will know when they need a little nap.

I dont know if it was here, or reddit, but I def said that one of my fav things about Disney is seeing/hearing kids re-actions getting on / off rides. There was a kid on slinky dog the other day who yelled "OMG it's the best ride in the world!!!! This is the best day ever!!" had me dying! Also another time we were on FoP and this kid was crying b/c he didnt want to get on, but his parents made him. 2 mins later all I hear is giggling and laughing, when he got off he was saying it was the best thing to ever happen in his life! (he was like 7).. haha I LOVE it.

This is a great idea. Maybe you can catch those reactions and jot them down on your phone, and at the end of their stay, you can put together a book for them, or just the notes you wrote down. I'm sure their mom would love to have memories like that. I sure would have. You are always so busy making sure they don't get hurt, feeding them, keeping them hydrated, applying sunscreen, etc.

I can’t imagine park hopping with a 5 year old. There is no guarantee at that age she won’t be scared by the dark and noise of the rides. One visit my son wanted to meet characters - all the characters no matter the lines and was scared of all rides except small world.

we did 3 days magic kingdom that trip! i think AK is an easy skip for that age. Magic kingdom is so magical and Epcot has frozen, Nemo, living the land,the Mexican Donald rode and figment for that age. In magic kingdom at 5 they love
Small world, tiki bird show, country bears etc.

And they tire out. So be flexible and go with the flow.

Oh, @Tomizgirl13 - I was RIGHT HERE a couple of years ago! Childless, never even much of a babysitter, and no clue about kids. Disney veteran and had been a kazillion times. I have now successfully navigated a few trips with my DS and her daughter (just turned 8).

From the standpoint of a similarly clueless childless adult:

1) I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that you - like me - tend to strategize/think about your trips in terms of rides/# of rides you can do; I'm also assuming your kid is similar to my niece, which may not be the case. I realized very quickly that pounding at top speed from ride to ride wasn't going to fly with my niece. If there was a character (walking by, on a float/cavalcade, on a building), she wanted to see it. Now when I plan with them, if there is an opportunity to orchestrate seeing a character (e.g., breakfast), I'll often book a character meal (which - ack - sacrifices rides). You will likely not get all of the rides in that you want, and you may find that you wind up having to visit/revisit/wait in very long lines for rides or attractions that you'd have blown off during a solo trip.

2) Stroller. Trust me. You may not need it, but better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I will never again judge a parent with a kid that seems "older" to me in a stroller. Ever, ever, ever.

3) It's pretty much all about the MK (and the pool) for my niece. Maybe a little bit about DHS now that she's getting older, but MK is still the shizzle (note, she is not as big an animal person as some kids - I know that AK is a big winner with some kids). Beware too much trekking between parks with a kid, as she may not be able to last the whole day without breaks. Honestly, I started going in a day early so I could ensure an Epcot day for myself - a lovely solo at Epcot with a drinkiepoo and/or extensive parkhopping to zigzag from ride to ride.

4) If you have the resources, stay close to the MK (e.g., Contemporary), especially since you're planning an After Hours party (I've seen different forecasts on days of week of these - Thurs or Friday - it would be great if they do both, but I digress). That ability to walk is priceless. We're planning on doing one of these parties during an upcoming brief trip with my niece, and I am dubious she will make it through more than a few hours. Heck, I did an AH at MK with my husband 2 years ago and only made it to 11:30. (To give an idea - we're unsure if my sister is going to come in for the trip, as it depends on the After Hours dates - if it's just me, I'll stay at YC and bus or Uber it back - if they come in, we'll stay at GF and walk.)

5) I always plan a break. Always. And try to take it before it becomes apparent it's needed. It's not pretty to be in the maelstrom of a worn-out kid.

6) I try to get mobile lunch orders in before 10 am. It can take a while for my sister to run through all of the menus and pick what's likely to work for the kiddo.

7) Be flexible, accept that you will likely need to slow down, take a deep breath, and enjoy. It's very different, and I'm not going to say it won't be baffling or frustrating at times, but I am so happy to have this time with my niece.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter