Planning a trip with a 5 y/o NO experience with kids HELP!

Tomizgrl13

Earning My Ears
I'm an AP no kids, I go with my BF often, but I just found out my cousin is coming down for a very short weekend. Thursday - Sun. Dec 3-5. with a 5 y/o. Her plan is to do Mickeys holiday party on Thursday night after they land. Then the other 2 park days, they are planning on MK 1 day for w/e they didn't do the night before. The other half day at Epcot mainly for Frozen, and half at HS for Mickey and Minnies and Toy Story. I suggested to her she should do at least a few hours at AK (my fav) for FoP and Safari at the very least. She then said to me, she's 5 we are going to have to take breaks and stuff. LOL Question, what would be the best way to do it with a 5 y/o? I'm someone who just runs from ride to ride and doesn't stop until I collapse. LOL I don't think that will work this time. Any help or tips would be great! Also how would you do it if you only had 2 days and needed to include these things in your trip? Thanks!!

I started getting some replies on Reddit, and they weren't exactly friendly, ex.
Mom knows her kid best, and seems to have a plan. Why not just let her do her plan as is?
and
Not all 5-year-olds will make the FoP height requirement. It's really great that you want to share your interests with your family and seem so willing to help them plan, but slowing down and focusing on the stuff mom and kid are anticipating is probably best.

so I have to add this: I'm trying to figure out the best order, not change the plan. Also, it's kind of irrelevant, but it's not her mom, my cousin is coming with her BFs sister and her 5 y/o. I was asked what I would do, which is why I gave my input about AK, but thats kinda of irrelevant too, she knows I was just trying to give her options. The real question is whether to do 1 full day at MK, then use the other day for half at Epcot/HS... or to split it doing half day at MK, the half at DHS, then the next day doing MK then half day at Epcot. The issue comes with the park hopping being at 2. I don't think they need 6 hours at say Epcot for 2 rides (frozen, maybe soarin), and want to maximize their time so they get to do everything they want. Also, so I don't get killed, my cousin at the last second did FoP last time she was here and said it was amazing and wanted to do it again but we couldnt, so I was also trying to sneak something in for her too.

Thanks for any help!

Do you all plan to stay together the whole time? Where is everyone staying? That could help decide the best schedule for logistics of breaks and hopping.

So, they havent booked a hotel yet, I believe they are still undecided on what hotel. Im an AP who lives an hour away, and I happen to be blocked out of Sat at MK/DHS. My cousin just knows I go all the time and wanted some help with the planning. Like I said though I'm an AP, who park hops ALL the time. I mean I've had days where I've went to Universal USF, then over to IOA, stopped at AK on the way home, and then popped into Epcot for fireworks (pre-pandemic).A 5 y/o. can't do that LOL. I'm usually all about rides, just get me on as many rides as possible, but again thats obviously the opposite of what they are gonna be able to do. Thanks for any help!

With the MK party ticket and 2 day hopper I don’t know if another full day worth of time in MK is a good balance (tho understandable to do w/5yo).

Party on Friday. Then do MK park day Sunday which is usually less crazy than Sat there. I’d probably do-

FriarrivalMK 4pm+ allowedMVMCP 7p-12a
SatAK open approx8abreakEpcot &
HarmoniUS at 9or10pm
SunHS open 9or10am try for RotR @7abreakMK to closing and see regular fireworks

They are landing Thursday morning and plan on doing the party on Thursday night, and they will have 2 days at the park and are leaving Sunday. I do however like the way you planned it out. Thats what I was thinking. When I mentioned AK though, she said they thought they would need another full day at MK. Interesting. I really think it might depend on how much they can get done during the party. I've never been to one of them, have you? Is it really that dead to be able to do a lot ?

The child may surprise you and have energy for everything.

Ours did at that age.

One of my favorite memories is our then 5 year old dancing after very late extra magic hours at park closing under the Sorcerer hat in Hollywood studios.

We had brought the stroller, but after the first park, left it in the hotel as she did not need it.

of course it all depends on how long they stay at the party first night. You can't party all night and expect a 5 year old to be ready to go first thing in the morning. they could also be suffering from travel exhaustion. Also there are a lot more things at Epcot to engage a small child than you think. you only mentioned Frozen and Soaring...you would be amazed at what excites a small kid at Epcot. and that's part of the fun! Children have a way of forcing you to stop and smell the roses.

oh I know theres plenty to do at Epcot. They only want to go for Frozen, and possibly Soarin. LOL I think I was there like a 2-3 weeks ago and spent half the day there not even in the world showcase. LOL Also I think your right about the traveling and the party. I was talking to my cousin last night and we decided I would join them early Friday morning in case the child wants to sleep in or relax, and I can take my cousin to AK. I'm interested to see how much a 5 y/o can handle though.. LOL Also, I <3 Nemo I would NEVER forget Nemo. LOL

I've never been to one of them, have you? Is it really that dead to be able to do a lot ?
Definitely possible to do alot of rides. People reported getting a lot done or easily riding something over and over… just not necessarily the case for everyone or every party. It had gotten harder in recent years for most. How many hours long and attendance caps matter, plus what we choose to do and how well we plan.

I’ve only done MVMCP in 2019 and it was overpacked enough we decided one and done. We had done many Halloween parties over the years and those became more and more crowded too. However this year they changed Halloween party to Boo bash ‘after hours’ which comes with lower attendance cap but also shorter hours. We don’t know if they’ll do the same with Christmas party, it’s possible. Hope they release info soon, in normal years they did in spring.

Getting stuff done depends… parties eventually got too crowded and wait times went up especially for rides with special party overlays. Add in the distraction of special offerings either watching or potentially being blocked to an area while the parade comes thru twice. The time goes quick.

I'd recommend cross posting this question in the family board if you haven't done so already.

I've gone to WDW twice now - once with a 6/2.5 and once with an 8/4. If I'm reading your OP correctly, they fly in Thurs, go directly to a party which prob ends at 10-11pm then are planning on MK the next day? IMO that is a recipe for disaster especially if they are doing a time zone change. I'd definitely not be rope dropping that day and would let the little set the pace for when they enter the park.

And I agree with you, there's a ton to hold a 5yo's interest at AK especially if they don't have a zoo near to home. That said, I love AK but I'm really not sure they have the time to squeak it in. I think the best strategy would be AK right after the party, arriving whenever the little is ready, then a break, then hop to MK early evening. It's a valid point that the 5yo may not be tall enough for FOP - is it possible to measure them so you know what you're working with? A small 5yo may not yet be 44in. (For comparison, my almost 6 year old average sized boy is only just 44inches). Keep in mind the things we love as adults may be slightly scary for the small ones - mom will know her kid best when it comes to that. My DD at 6 bailed on FOP because the preshow terrified her.

Honestly with one day and a 5 year old I'd maybe skip most of Epcot. I mean it does depend on the 5yo's interests but if she doesn't know the Frozen ride exists, she's not going to miss it. And it's a huge amount of schlumping around with a kid to get there and out. The only way I'd recommend fitting Epcot in is if you hop to it from HS using the skyliner since it will dump you out closer to that end anyway. Then just do Frozen, and hop back to HS. Don't underestimate the lure of Toy Story land for little eyes! Especially if the 5YO has seen the movies. It's easily close to a full day for HS now, especially if you add the hop to epcot in there.

FWIW, with a trip that short I'd also strongly recommend a stroller to save the little one's legs. They may never use it at home but you're hoping to cover a lot of ground here and you want to save her energy for the good stuff.

It all depends on the kid. Mine could never have done that late-night schedule at 5. He would have fallen over exhausted!

My advice (for any trip, not just with kids) is always to plan around the most important things, and consider everything else gravy. So based on what you said she wants to do:

Party Thursday night.
Lazy start Friday morning, rest of MK, and an early evening.
Then hit the ground running early Saturday to do the most important things at Epcot and HS.

Again, some kids are an exception (including mine - I think AK was actually his favorite) but I'd say to most kids, MK is Disney World, so I totally understand them expecting to spend the most time there.

I'd recommend cross posting this question in the family board if you haven't done so already.

I've gone to WDW twice now - once with a 6/2.5 and once with an 8/4. If I'm reading your OP correctly, they fly in Thurs, go directly to a party which prob ends at 10-11pm then are planning on MK the next day? IMO that is a recipe for disaster especially if they are doing a time zone change. I'd definitely not be rope dropping that day and would let the little set the pace for when they enter the park.

And I agree with you, there's a ton to hold a 5yo's interest at AK especially if they don't have a zoo near to home. That said, I love AK but I'm really not sure they have the time to squeak it in. I think the best strategy would be AK right after the party, arriving whenever the little is ready, then a break, then hop to MK early evening. It's a valid point that the 5yo may not be tall enough for FOP - is it possible to measure them so you know what you're working with? A small 5yo may not yet be 44in. (For comparison, my almost 6 year old average sized boy is only just 44inches). Keep in mind the things we love as adults may be slightly scary for the small ones - mom will know her kid best when it comes to that. My DD at 6 bailed on FOP because the preshow terrified her.

Honestly with one day and a 5 year old I'd maybe skip most of Epcot. I mean it does depend on the 5yo's interests but if she doesn't know the Frozen ride exists, she's not going to miss it. And it's a huge amount of schlumping around with a kid to get there and out. The only way I'd recommend fitting Epcot in is if you hop to it from HS using the skyliner since it will dump you out closer to that end anyway. Then just do Frozen, and hop back to HS. Don't underestimate the lure of Toy Story land for little eyes! Especially if the 5YO has seen the movies. It's easily close to a full day for HS now, especially if you add the hop to epcot in there.

FWIW, with a trip that short I'd also strongly recommend a stroller to save the little one's legs. They may never use it at home but you're hoping to cover a lot of ground here and you want to save her energy for the good stuff.

So first, they are flying in on Thursday, and due to a package they were able to get, they are going to do Epcot on Thursday night instead of the party. Plan is for Frozen and Dinner.

(I'm driving up Fri AM) Then we are all going to MK that AM, and then at some point switching over to DHS for Toy Story and Mickey and Minnies.

Sat they plan on doing w/e they missed or couldn't do the day before. (As of right now it's saying that MK is open until midnight that Sat). Apparently my cousin wants to do AK, but her BFs sister and the 5 y/o don't seem to want to do AK, so we might split up and give the 5 y/o a break and let them have some pool time, etc and me and my cousin might go to AK, and then we would all meet up for lunch somewhere, then they could all go to MK for the night. (I'm blocked out, so this would also give me a chance to head home early while it's still light out, since it's my first time driving there alone.)

This is the plan so far. We may also have a friend of my BFs sister join with her kid, which would give me and my cousin time to break away at certain points to do our own thing. (by own thing I mean AK, I dont want to be pushy AT ALL. This is their vacation and I want them to do w/e they want. I'm here ALL the time. I just know from being at the parks so much, that usually the biggest reactions I see with kids are normally always at AK. MK too to a degree with surroundings, but I'm talking more rides. There's always a HUGE reaction to FoP, Safari, and Everest. I dont see that same reaction with rides at MK. Esp when it's already been made clear rides like Splash Mt, and anything like it are out of the question b/c of the drop.

2 issues were having though:
1. We don't know which character dinning places will be open by then. Also with the new booking 60 days out, we don't know what will be available either, which could make things a little difficult.
2. HS hasnt announced a nighttime show yet, which makes Friday night difficult because MK closes at 6 for the party, no show at DHS, they don't want to do AK (which doesnt have a night show anyway), and with some responses I've been getting I'm assuming us trying to do a quick hop after DHS to Epcot for fireworks would be exhausting for a 5 y/o. That would be 3 parks in a day. I also don't know if they plan on staying at Epcot for fireworks the night before.

Thanks for your advice and help! It's very appreciated!

It all depends on the kid. Mine could never have done that late-night schedule at 5. He would have fallen over exhausted!

My advice (for any trip, not just with kids) is always to plan around the most important things, and consider everything else gravy. So based on what you said she wants to do:

Party Thursday night.
Lazy start Friday morning, rest of MK, and an early evening.
Then hit the ground running early Saturday to do the most important things at Epcot and HS.

Again, some kids are an exception (including mine - I think AK was actually his favorite) but I'd say to most kids, MK is Disney World, so I totally understand them expecting to spend the most time there.

The party was pushed, b/c they got a package instead. So they are doing Epcot Thursday. The issue with the plan you have is Sat. I'm an AP whose blocked out of DHS and MK on Sat. I think they are trying to go to those while I'm there on Fri, and then use Sat as the day to do w/e they missed after I leave sometime in the afternoon. I completely agree we need to find the most important things first, and then take it from there! This experience is going to be so different for me too. LOL I'm so use to going, hoping on a few rides, and then heading home. There's never a rush to get something done, b/c we can always do it next time. They dont exactly have that luxury.

Creating a jam packed schedule is a tough to do with a 5yr old. I can’t imagine my 5yo keeping up with that schedule. Obviously the parents know best what each can handle but I would plan plenty shows and read the cues of how the child is feeling. None of the other parks compare to what magic kingdom has to offer for very young kids. Mine love the simplest rides, dumbo, small world, magic carpets, carousel of progress, people mover, Robinson treehouse, jungle cruise, county bear jamboree.

my family will be doing that same weekend in December at MK, that week after thanksgiving is a great time for the parks, weather and Christmas atmosphere are amazing.

@Tomizgrl13 It sounds like your itinerary is coming together! With such a short trip I'd focus on one set of fireworks only especially if it's a late close. If you go with the stroller plan (And I would!!) , kiddo can sleep through the fireworks at Epcot while you guys watch! I would say your most hoppable option is from HS to Ep with the skyliner.

I'm going to reiterate, measure the kiddo - a 5 yo is going to be borderline height wise unless they're really tall for some rides. For comparison, my average sized almost 6yo boy is only just 44inches.

Just remember to go with the flow and let the kid's excitement lead the way, take lots of chill out breaks/shows, and you'll be fine!

My best advice is to be very flexible. The 5 year old is a wild card for you. You don't know how that child is going to react to your plans until you're right in the middle of them. So, as their mother said, be prepared fro breaks--and not always at the time you planned them, and be prepared to change course if the plan's not working.

It could very well be that the 5 year old is a go-with-the-flow kid with plenty of energy to keep going all day, but you won't know until then, so make your plans, but be willing to cheerfully change them, too. :)

I would take it slower, my 7 yo couldn't do that. Lots for the kids at epcott. In fact we cancled a MK day and did another epcott day because she like it so much. All the stuff you may not find intresting kids might. I wouldn't park hop with them, too much extra energy wasted. So let them do as they like, you can hop over to the other things. Spend sometime with the familly and they when they need rest, do your own thing.

All the stuff you may not find interesting kids might.

So much this!! It never ceases to amaze me, even now, with my older kids, what they wind up really getting into and wanting to spend a great deal of time doing. And it's not always rushing from one ride to another or one park to another. And it changes...one day they are like energizer bunnies who've been downing energy drinks and the next day we're crawling through the park as they mosey along like they're on a slow scenic stroll. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter