• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pin Trading

DisneFamily

Earning My Ears
We would like to have our DS5 start collecting and trading pins. I think he will really enjoy it. Where or what is the best place to get started? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Our kids always loved pin trading! Some of our recommendations are to start small and see how it goes. You can either get a few starter pack or pins online before you go or you can get a starter pack at WDW. Disney Springs has a great Pin Store or any of the park stores carry the starters as well. Picking a "theme" for collection can help narrow the focus for a younger child. Eg. Mickey Pins, Ride Pins, Animal pins. Its always a great chance to teach pin manners, by asking a cast member to "please see their pins" and saying "thank you". If i remember, guests can trade 2 pins at time with a cast member. Also, Cast members with green lanyards are for children trading ONLY. Pins should always be in good condition and have the Disney stamp on the back. The metal clasps on the back have a tendency to fall off or bend. recommend the rubber backs as they hold really well. Hope some of these things help!

Any extra special pins... put them away.
My kids lost a lanyard with pins. Such a pain to replace.
Have fun with it

Only take pins willing to trade to the parks. If they collect a pin at the park they want to keep before returning to hotel, then you hold the pin for them.

My children have been collecting pins and trading pins for the last few trips now. They have so much fun, I think it also helps with building confidence in approaching someone you don't know and have a "conversation" with them. They actually enjoy getting pins as souvenirs instead of toys b/c they display their lanyard on the mirror all year round :)

Everyone nailed it above... my boys are 7 and 5 and love trading. We buy them Disney pin booster packs on eBay, typically for $12-15, and they include 5 pins from a series. They use those to trade. Pins can cost between $8-20+ each in the parks so the booster packs make for a great trading resource. They each now have 2 full lanyards of pins they've traded for. I usually buy a bunch of booster packs on eBay in one shot and then give them as stocking stuffers, Valentine's Day gifts, Easter baskets, etc. This way by the time we go on the trip (we usually go between August-December), they have a bunch to trade! The other thing my wife and I love about the pins is that the boys always want to go to new places like the World Showcase in Epcot to meet new cast members to trade with. This past December was the first time they started trading with other guests, which made me a bit nervous because some people can spot a valuable pin and try to take advantage, but they were very good about saying no thank you when they were asked to trade a pin they had gotten on the trip and didn't want to lose.

My girls love Pin Trading, too. If you have a Disney Store Outlet near you, check and see if they have any pins available. I've found booster packs 75% off and other single pins on sale for $1-$3 each. They make great traders and I know we are trading authentic pins, not the cheap fakes from eBay.

I agree with one of the posters above. If you have a pin your child wants to keep, or that you spent a crazy amount on and don't want to have it traded, do not leave it on the lanyard.
My daughter had a really nice belle pin, her first one she ever got, and she was trading with a CM in a pin store. She came over to us and the belle pin was gone. We asked where it went and she said the CM had asked for it, so she gave it to him. Luckily my SIL was able to go and trade back for it before someone else did.
Nobodies fault really, just need to be careful with the important pins.

As for collections, I personally collect the Mickey Head character pins.. So awesome

Forgot to mention some cast members have special colored lanyard. They only trade with kids. Not sure of color.
But in this case the kids give cast members the pin of their choosing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter