Pictures of new BCV rooms

There is absolutely nothing in this room that looks like the beach to me. The beach cottages we rent on the gulf coast look more like the new decor.

Orange and green plaid couch, blue floral spread, that hideous dust ruffle, carpet that matched nothing.
https://cdn3.touringplans.com/static/hotels/orl004/DSC_3865.JPG

Even this one with the patchwork couch to me was no improvement.
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/08/39/bd/6a/guest-room.jpg

Only the old decor at VWL was uglier to me.

The new decor to me looks more like the non DVC side of the resort.

This is what the beach looks like to me, luxury. This is from a $2.75 million dollar home in Rosemary Beach, Fl. The new decor looks like something out of Coastal Living magazine.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/a1/5a/e4/a15ae488d505cb6c1d62b090776d6677.jpg

The first picture reminds me of all the snow bird homes here on the gulf coast-- filled with the multicolored sofas and wicker bedroom sets that will soon populate the good will stores...

What is it about this old design that screams "attention to detail" and uniqueness? I'm truly curious to hear specifics. There are no Hidden Mickey's. The walls are bland. The artwork is generic. The patterns and colors are a mishmash.

The rooms weren't designed to capture the feel of some bygone era...they just happen to have fallen 15-20 years out of date. IMO, at best, the previous design looks like Pier 1 Imports circa 1995.

b_800_600_0_10_images_stories_bcv_2b_BCV_T001.JPG

Not to mention that they used the same fabric for the bed spread, drapes, and throw pillows..... no cost cutting here.

I'm curious about the location of that GFI plug right next to the tub.

Yes, it's a GFI, but doesn't it seem like it will be getting water in it all the time from anyone using the tub?

Why in the world is it there?
I watched this 3 times looking for a receptacle near the tub and can't find one......

I watched this 3 times looking for a receptacle near the tub and can't find one......

You can see it in the photos shared by the OP, it is on the back wall at the end of the tub. Unless someone is just having a jolly good time in the tub I don't think water will splash in it.

The mixing and matching of patterns and florals was much closer to turn of the century type decor than you're giving credit for IMO. :teeth: And I don't think you can say that it wasn't unique - at least I've seen little like it elsewhere. But think more widspread - Disney without a doubt has built a reputation on attention to detail.

Disney also has an obligation to provide rooms which meet 21st century expectations for Deluxe hotel and timeshare accommodations. Nobody wants to pay Disney prices to stay in the equivalent of grandma's Atlantic seaboard cottage which hasn't been refurnished in 100 years.

But no - I don't know if BCV was that good when it was designed. What I'm referring to is a hope that some of the resorts that didn't have as much theme would get at least something a little stand out in the refurbs like the detail theming that we've seen at VWL, THV, Aulani, AKV, VGC and even BLT. This refurb for BCV is fine. Just not Disney fine IMO. I'm just back from BWV and feel the same way. It's nice. Hampton Inn nice. But seeing spaceship earth from the room added theme.

It goes without saying that some themes have a greater level of...distinctiveness...than others. The faux wood-carved furniture of AKV is unmistakeable. The modern look of Contemporary and BLT.

But resorts like BoardWalk and Beach Club are--quite simply--rather bland by comparison. Research cape cod / eastern seaboard type furnishings and you'll see exactly what Disney has delivered in both of these properties: white moldings with light colored walls, wood floors, painted kitchen cabinets, light colored fabrics, a mixture of natural wood and painted furniture.

Most--if not all--of the furniture is undoubtedly custom made. The dining table, the living room murphy bed, desks & nightstands with integrated electrical and USB.

Do BLT and BCV reflect trends which are now commonplace in the hospitality industry? Yes, of course. Does that automatically mean they are not true to the resort theme? Of course not.

As for quality, over the years I've seen many reports and photos of people entering newly-renovated rooms only to find stained carpets, scratched walls, broken cabinets and other damage.

Speaking as someone familiar with wood floors and laminates, yeah, they're gonna scratch under heavy use (and unavoidable abuse.) Even the best materials. Scratches can often be masked with the proper cleaning solution / cover-up.

Personally I still think it's a better material choice in those high-traffic villa living spaces. Between the shoes, food & drink, suitcases, luggage carts and other stain-producers, the laminate will hold up much better than carpet. Housekeeping rarely has time to properly deep-clean carpets, leaving most guests exposed to months worth of stains, dirt and bacteria.

Disney also has an obligation to provide rooms which meet 21st century expectations for Deluxe hotel and timeshare accommodations. Nobody wants to pay Disney prices to stay in the equivalent of grandma's Atlantic seaboard cottage which hasn't been refurnished in 100 years.

And no where did I ever say it should stay the same. My comments you originally quoted weren't even really specific to BCV. And I also said the refurbs are fine and if I didn't say so, that they look nice, although I can't agree with the murphy bed/table combo. However, to ignore that they could have contained more detailed touches to them is simply that, ignoring it. It's normal hotel fine, not detailed Disney fine though.

There's some odd decisions going on though - at BWV, they left the old lever thermostats that are a pain to adjust. You bump them up - too hot. You bump them down - too cold. When you finally land on just right you need to stick to it and hope nobody else touches it. And they are definitely not rated energy efficient.

Also, my nightstand in the 1BR's at BWV did not have any outlets nor USB ports. In fact, the one room didn't even have a reachable outlet to have the phone, which is now supposed to be your clock, plugged in for the night.

However, to ignore that they could have contained more detailed touches to them is simply that, ignoring it. It's normal hotel fine, not detailed Disney fine though.

What sort of more detailed touches?

When I look at those BCV rooms, I see the white shutters still framing the dining area. I see the bathroom tile which clearly has a beach / sand type pattern to it. The countertops throughout the unit share this sand-like feel. I see the living room lamp which has a seashell-type feel which mirrors the nearby artwork.

I don't want a big brass sextant anchored to the wall.

When we get past the theme-specific furniture at resorts like AKV, BLT, VGC, etc., what other unique touches are you seeing? And in what way did Disney miss the opportunity to add those touches at BCV and BWV?

Disney is all about theming. These rooms look generic. I want to stay at DISNEY World, not a frigging Marriott.

Also, my nightstand in the 1BR's at BWV did not have any outlets nor USB ports. In fact, the one room didn't even have a reachable outlet to have the phone, which is now supposed to be your clock, plugged in for the night.

Thanks! Your post reminded me to pack a small clock and an extension cord.

Muted is in style now. Prints, loud colors and fabrics, are out.

Well, "muted" doesn't exactly correlate with "Disney". That's the point- it's a loss of theming, which is a big part of the charm of these resorts. Some of the Disney magic is being lost in the march to muted and bland.

If I wanted a Hilton I'd go to one- can do that anytime, anywhere. At Disney, the theming of the resort rooms serves the same purpose as it does in the parks. It's a reminder that we're in a whimsical place. Do we want them to make Cinderella's Castle less gaudy next?

Reading this makes me glad that we've got a stay at AKL coming up. At least we'll get to enjoy its theming before some refurbishment guts it of its uniqueness and charm.

Last edited:
Couldn't find any legal documents that Disney is obligated to meet guest expectations, who's, I expected that they would repair and replace, keeping the theme that we purchased, they aren't meeting our expectations. If they screw up VGF I will really be upset.

:earsboy: Bill

Living in Massachusetts and growing up on the beach in Connecticut, I love the look of these rooms! They don't look like a standard hotel room to me at all - the colors and textures are much more in line with modern day beach theming.

Really hoping that we get one of those rooms in April! Hope all of you that prefer the old 'theming' are requesting to have 'not renovated' rooms! Saving these updated ones for those of us that like them!!

If they screw up VGF I will really be upset.

Decor at VGF is nearly identical to BCV, except with victorian touches instead of cape cod. Same white moldings, light colored walls, light fabrics, unspectacular furniture and fixtures.

VGF did add some upscale touches during construction like tray ceilings and recessed lighting. But those features have never been present at BCV and would have been very costly to retrofit, if it were even possible.

villas-grand-floridian-studio-11.JPG

Living in Massachusetts and growing up on the beach in Connecticut, I love the look of these rooms! They don't look like a standard hotel room to me at all - the colors and textures are much more in line with modern day beach theming.

Thank you!

Couldn't find any legal documents that Disney is obligated to meet guest expectations, who's, I expected that they would repair and replace, keeping the theme that we purchased, they aren't meeting our expectations. If they screw up VGF I will really be upset.

:earsboy: Bill

They aren't meeting your expectations but they seem to meet a good many other members mine included. You like the VGF decor but not beach club, I don't see much difference other than details which both have to fit the theme.

Disney is all about theming. These rooms look generic. I want to stay at DISNEY World, not a frigging Marriott.

What about the old decor said beach theme to you? To me there is more theming in the new decor. Carpet, lamps, artwork, pillows, shower tile, bed scarf.

All I see in the old decor is some artwork and one lamp. There is nothing about an orange plaid couch that says beach to me; we must be visiting very different beaches.

Last edited:
Decor at VGF is nearly identical to BCV, except with victorian touches instead of cape cod. Same white moldings, light colored walls, light fabrics, unspectacular furniture and fixtures.

I was thinking that too - and I haven't heard (m)any complaints about the décor there. With each refurbishment the GF rooms have got less and less chintzy, with the villas being the least of all. And I think they look lovely; I'd be very happy to stay there!

Apparently Disney theme simply means bright colors to a lot of people. Because that is the only thing about the old room that seems Disney to me. It was not Beach themed. If I am paying the amount of $$$ Disney charges for deluxe resorts I don't want it to be over "themed" like AoA. Soft colors that mimic sand and sea, fabric and pictures that overtly have seashells, etc. on them, even the banquet fabric is wave patterned. How is that not beach themed?!? I love the new rooms.

What about the old decor said beach theme to you? To me there is more theming in the new decor. Carpet, lamps, artwork, pillows, shower tile, bed scarf.

All I see in the old decor is some artwork and one lamp. There is nothing about an orange plaid couch that says beach to me; we must be visiting very different beaches.

The more I see this photo as compared to the new design, the more I like the new design. This decor is really bad and not beachy to me at all. Look at that bad print above the couch. The new prints look a whole lot better.

facebook twitter