Photo Sharing: Mirrorless

Olympus PEN E-PL1 w/ 14-42 kit lens

P5261200e--.jpg

P5261199e-.jpg

P5261188e-.jpg

Hamilton, it's nice to see you back.

MACUSER, how do you compare the Olympus OMD vs the Nex? I really like the clock shot. I'd that a homemade portable studio?

Anyone familiar with Olympus cameras is aware of their inferior performance at high ISO's relative to other brands. Normally I hardly ever need high ISO and I was comfortable shooting at ISO 1600 with my E-PL2 which is what I settled on when we went to the Taylor Swift concert last year.

i-GX2xPt2-L.jpg

i-XSPgSGV-L.jpg

i-xDmSDTX-L.jpg

The OM-D's high ISO performance is greatly improved, maybe due in large part to the Sony sensor. When we were on the Big Island last month, I inadvertently switched the ISO to the OM-D's highest level - 25,600! I still don't know how that happened.:confused3 It was a while before I realized what was going on.:(

Here's a shot SOOC of a wildfire we encountered trying to get to a black sand beach.

i-GbcFLNg-L.jpg

I took a few of the pictures to try and see what I could do with them in Lightroom, and while I won't be shooting at 25,600 voluntarily again unless absolutely needed, I was pretty impressed with the results after a bit of tweaking. I have the high ISO limit set to 6400 normally. Here are a few after I played with them a bit.

i-w47dVxt-L.jpg

i-VdxQ4JP-L.jpg

i-ngz9V9P-L.jpg

Here's one I took when I switched the camera to iAuto mode because the ones I had been taking (not knowing they were at 25,600) were looking washed out. I was walking through the tide pools at Turtle Beach in Kona so I had the 12-50mm lens with me so I wasn't worried about it getting a bit wet. I didn't have a polarizer for this lens at the time (got one yesterday) so I took this with my sunglasses held in front of the lens.

i-ghp2N8H-L.jpg

Macuser, can you let me know how the OM-D does vs the Nex at high ISO. I've seen good shots at 3200 from the OM-D. I know the Nex is good for high ISO shooting.

Nex 7 + Fijian toy lens.
mineminemine by Harry Shields, on Flickr

Macuser, can you let me know how the OM-D does vs the Nex at high ISO. I've seen good shots at 3200 from the OM-D. I know the Nex is good for high ISO shooting.

Harry, did you see my examples above? I don't have a Nex, but I'm very impressed with the high ISO output of the OM-D. I'll try and find some good examples of ISO 6400 shots.

Have you gone to dpreview to check out the comparisons?

MACUSER, how do you compare the Olympus OMD vs the Nex? I really like the clock shot. I'd that a homemade portable studio?

The clock was shot in a homemade studio and off camera flash triggered with wireless triggers the one thing i can't do on my nex 5n no hot shoe.

Comparing my sony nex 5n to the olympus omd , My opinion the sony has the high iso edge 6400 and above 3200 and under pretty close. However with the ibis on the olympus you can really keep the iso down where you would have to bump the sony up . Sony has the edge with the in camera hdr and some of the scene settings like hand held twilight . I think if i had bought the nex 7n instead of the 5n i would have not looked at the omd.

The lack of evf and hot shoe really seemed to limiting for me . I really wanted a dslr replacement in a small package . The 5n was not it

In the end they are both great cameras and put out some great images but I think I will be picking up my Omd more . Not just because i payed twice as much for it (lol) . The ibis and the on the fly macro with kit lens really make it a great walk around camera .No need to haul a tripod a around except for long exposures .

Thanks Macuser! I have been looking at the Pentax K30 to get a body with weather sealing and stabilization. I don't know if I will ever want to carry another DSLR again. I'm so spoiled by the size and weight of the Nex 7. I've heard the OM-D makes some fantastic Jpegs.

Alright Mike, did you pick up a new macro lens? At first I thought you were using Tele lens until I read your exif data.

Where's the Monorail? by Harry Shields, on Flickr

Hey Harry I used my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR to take that pic. I had to put it on manual focus since AF was giving me trouble trying to focus on what i wanted it to focus on. I was very happy how that picture came out. I did pick up a Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0 DI LD that has a macro setting on it but haven't tried out the macro setting yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter