Pete addressing all the hate on the podcast

I'm pretty sure they didn't actively spend money to come up short on new shows, (I haven't seen them yet, we are going down this week, and we wanted to see them in person), but to think they would spend all that money on a show that they knew would come up short is lunacy.

There has been study after study showing that people are a lot more likely to post a bad review then a good one, so i'm sure Disney weighs that as well

I don't feel sorry for Disney that they lost billions, but I can understand that they are expected to get that money back, i find it funny that everyone talks about not caring that Disney lost money, but in the same breath then expects them to spend even more, so that they as an individual can
aofeel satisfied, I just think people let their emotions get in the way, if you look at all the moves Disney has made recently from a business perspective, they are doing what's best for the corporation, (i say this a lot, but they are legally responsible to make that happen), on a personal level I'm not thrilled, but i can understand where they are coming from.

Tell me you don't understand the term "budget cuts" without telling me you don't understand the term "budget cuts."

I can only speak for myself, but I suspect others feel the same.

When Disney took away Magical express, airport to room luggage, free-fast passes, and magic bands, among other tacky additional charges, it changed how I felt about the Disney company.

For many of us, there has been a recent paradigm shift in our love for Disney world.

Am I now rooting against WDW? Maybe. It is certainly not an intentional decision. This year, however, I find myself much more negative towards the company than before. I can live with it being more expensive for the same quality of experience, but not for an inferior product.

And so I see the over-the-top outrage around the new shows is as much about recent built-up resentment towards Disney in general rather than just about fireworks. You cannot disconnect the two. Compound that with the company's ever-moving shift from the emotional/storytelling to the spectacle, and you end up in this perfect storm of negativity.

Yes, there has always been a small vocal part of the community that hates change of any kind. But what you see now is different. It is far more widespread and goes a lot deeper. It includes people like myself who rarely have ever had a bad thing to say about Disney world. For the show to blame this negatively on covid stress, fear of change, or fans not understanding Disney is a for-profit company was a bit disappointing.

Still love you guys!

Last edited:

When Disney took away Magical express, airport to room luggage, free-fast passes, and magic bands, among other tacky additional charges, it changed how I felt about the Disney company.

For many of us, there has been a recent paradigm shift in our love for Disney world.

Am I now rooting against WDW? Maybe. It is certainly not an intentional decision. This year, however, I find myself much more negative towards the company than before. I can live with it being more expensive for the same quality of experience, but not for an inferior product.

And so I see the over-the-top outrage around the new shows is as much about recent built-up resentment towards Disney in general as about fireworks. You cannot disconnect the two. Compound that with the company's ever-moving shift from the emotional/storytelling to the spectacle, and you end up in this perfect storm of negativity.

Yes, there has always been a small vocal part of the community that hates change of any kind. But what you see now is different. It is far more widespread and goes a lot deeper. It includes people like myself who rarely have ever had a bad thing to say about Disney world. For the show to blame this negatively on covid stress, fear of change, or fans not understanding Disney is a for-profit company was a bit disappointing.

Still love you guys!
I'm still dumbfounded about them ending ME. They keep raising resort prices and striping away perks of being a resort guest - gonna shoot themselves in the foot with that if they keep it up.

I'm sorry but I am tired of the lost 7 billion and Covid excuses. When a certain other park can go all out for their 150th this year it says that Covid is just an excuse. Other parks lost lots of money too but are still doing their normal Halloween events. So why is it ok the Disney doesn't?

Exactly..... or what about all of the years they've made billions?? Was it not saved, re-invested??? Why is it if I fall on hard times I get the whole..... "Where's your emergency fund, you should've been prepared," but a giant company like Disney can just nickle and dime everyone to death and it's perfectly acceptable by their cult?? Double standard much?? I hope to God Chapek gets the boot. I would take Eisner back any day.

And so I see the over-the-top outrage around the new shows is as much about recent built-up resentment towards Disney in general rather than just about fireworks. You cannot disconnect the two. Compound that with the company's ever-moving shift from the emotional/storytelling to the spectacle, and you end up in this perfect storm of negativity.

Still love you guys!

Thank you. Yes.

I literally had a Disney Fairy Tale wedding. I have always been a cheerleader for WDW. I'm sad and disappointed with what is happening there lately, so much so that I have no future plans to visit after literally 23 years of annual visits (minus 2020). They have taken away far too much while raising prices far too high for the experience they are currently offering guests. For my money, currently Disneyland is doing it much better.

all I want to say to Disney right now is "chill out with the IP please...enough"

Unfortunately, IP to Disney (and to Hollywood type of execs in general) = almost sure win. Original ideas are not as easily sold.

Disney beyond anything after those losses wants a sure win, not any experimental idea that might not work out. Having said that, to me, IP doesn't mean something that's a franchise. It could be argued that Everest (and the Yeti) are IP...or at least what I consider to be...familiar properties. Everyone has heard of Everest.

It wasn't called Expedition K2 or some other less popular mountain name, it was called that because it's familiar (and it can work in the Asia area of the park as well).

Disney can definitely find ways to create new attractions based on familiar things that aren't franchises.

I'm sorry but I am tired of the lost 7 billion and Covid excuses. When a certain other park can go all out for their 150th this year it says that Covid is just an excuse. Other parks lost lots of money too but are still doing their normal Halloween events. So why is it ok the Disney doesn't?
You are 100% correct. I am sick of the Covid excuse too. It is just too convenient. EVERYONE lost money except for the people who are still home getting compensated while employers are pretty much begging for help.

Exactly..... or what about all of the years they've made billions?? Was it not saved, re-invested??? Why is it if I fall on hard times I get the whole..... "Where's your emergency fund, you should've been prepared," but a giant company like Disney can just nickle and dime everyone to death and it's perfectly acceptable by their cult?? Double standard much?? I hope to God Chapek gets the boot. I would take Eisner back any day.
That’s not how corporate finance works

You are 100% correct. I am sick of the Covid excuse too. It is just too convenient. EVERYONE lost money except for the people who are still home getting compensated while employers are pretty much begging for help.
There is an awful lot to unpack in your post haha, i just personally believe that Disney is a business first and foremost, and that goes all the way back to Walt. Disney was never a place that every family could afford, and people get priced out all the time. There prices are still in line for most of middle class america to afford. I understand that Disney plays on peoples emotions, and that is a solid business tactic, but I feel like people hold that against Disney, because if you change, you are affecting my personal feelings/ emotions, (even if it's what's best for the business) what was once should never be changed is how it plays off.

If Bob Chapek, or any other person in management gave a speech on the 50th they would be torn apart for "trying to be walt" something that Eisner paid for when he tried it. If they limited store capacity, people would have complained that the lines were to long to get into a store, (a lot worse than the actual day). I just feel like people on these boards hold Disney at a loss no matter what they do, unless they cut prices, and gave more away.

In the end, Disney lost $7 Billion last year, so anyone who thought they would just spend out of control in this unprecedented time we're in, needs to rethink the situation, and understand that Disney doesn't owe anyone a dollar
I guess we will never know if Chapek would be torn apart will we? At this juncture we would at least be saying he 'tried'.
I never said they owe anyone anything, what I said was they built this up to be great and yet they did not deliver, as I said it is a symbiotic relationship we pay they provide the emotional gratification. THAT is their business which they blatantly hawk in all their ads. To quote Scrooge in a Chrismas Carol, "......no it's not fair it's business" We all know it. They did not deliver on their side of the bargain.

I also said that they could have done more that was not related to MONEY!! Don't bill yourself as "the happiest place on Earth" and then do nothing to back it up. Clearly the Happiest Place on Earth did not back it up. If we are honest they phoned this one in because clearly we have other milestones in the past to which we can compare it. Trust me, the golden statues many of which need to be hunted for did not a party make ( How long before the golden statues end up at the Lakeland Antique Mall?). This was very forgettable non existent celebration except for the super spreader stampede before hours in the stores.

The majority of the people changing jobs or leaving the job market (partially or totally) are doing so without any subsidy
You are right but you cannot deny that there are those out there who are being subsidized. I work with tons of small businesses in the food industry and the number one complaint is that they have to cut their hours, cut their days and cut their services because there is no help. Not because there is no business, quite the opposite. Are you saying all these people who worked in the service industry (of which WDW is a part) before covid suddenly decided to change their job?

You are right but you cannot deny that there are those out there who are being subsidized. I work with tons of small businesses in the food industry and the number one complaint is that they have to cut their hours, cut their days and cut their services because there is no help. Not because there is no business, quite the opposite. Are you saying all these people who worked in the service industry (of which WDW is a part) before covid suddenly decided to change their job?
That’s exactly what I’m saying. Based on what I’ve been reading. WSJ has been writing about this for months. As an employer (not hospitality industry), I’ve experienced it

I guess we will never know if Chapek would be torn apart will we? At this juncture we would at least be saying he 'tried'.
I never said they owe anyone anything, what I said was they built this up to be great and yet they did not deliver, as I said it is a symbiotic relationship we pay they provide the emotional gratification. THAT is their business which they blatantly hawk in all their ads. To quote Scrooge in a Chrismas Carol, "......no it's not fair it's business" We all know it. They did not deliver on their side of the bargain.

I also said that they could have done more that was not related to MONEY!! Don't bill yourself as "the happiest place on Earth" and then do nothing to back it up. Clearly the Happiest Place on Earth did not back it up. If we are honest they phoned this one in because clearly we have other milestones in the past to which we can compare it. Trust me, the golden statues many of which need to be hunted for did not a party make ( How long before the golden statues end up at the Lakeland Antique Mall?). This was very forgettable non existent celebration except for the super spreader stampede before hours in the stores.
We just don’t see eye to eye, and that’s all good 👍

I think Kite Tails is the kind of show that you don't know what's going to happen so I'm looking forward to seeing it in December and perhaps viewing the unexpected because maybe that is part of the experience. It is not a show that is planned and precise up to the final detail like the fireworks shows. Weather and the fact that it is very difficult to control these kits hanging off the back of a jet ski contributes to the "just about anything can happen" reputation it seems to be garnering. It's a bit unique to much of the Disney entertainment most of us are used to.

I think that as long as Disney keeps raising the prices the more critical guests will be. I do agree with Pete that you should wait until you see it before you critic it.

I think part of it isn't even that people are negative towards disney or the new shows, it's that when someone has a differing opinion, like liking the show, they are called out for it. It's like people aren't allowed to like anything at disney now because others don't like things. It's the constant disagreements and arguing that gets tired. If it was actual good discussion about your thoughts good or bad it'd be fine, but all of this your opinion is wrong, the show is awful is tiring.

Have you met youtube?

I say that because there is a whole base where pretty much nothing is ever wrong. Not sure what you are looking for.

If your on Facebook it's your own fault and if you get negative comments on Twitter then just unfollow that Disney vlogger.

I will also say I rarely go in to the theme park section of this site. I stick to DVC and DCL.

i find it funny that everyone talks about not caring that Disney lost money, but in the same breath then expects them to spend even more,

Who said spend more? If Disney doesn't change anything they likely have less negative feedback.

Keep magical express, keep FP+, delay rides being finished if they want, ect.

Heck I think people would even be okay if they did a past new years event fireworks display for the 50th then went back to normal outlining the issues from Covid.

I am sure some are asking for more always but many are asking for more because Disney is cutting things and raising prices.

Last edited:
Have you met youtube?

I say that because there is a whole base where pretty much nothing is ever wrong. Not sure what you are looking for.

If your on Facebook it's your own fault and if you get negative comments on Twitter then just unfollow that Disney vlogger.

I will also say I rarely go in to the theme park section of this site. I stick to DVC and DCL.

Was talking about here, not other places. And it's not just in TPAS, it's all over this place.

Still love you guys!
You hit the nail on the head!! I had read somewhere that businesses often count any review good or bad and multiply it times one thousand to get a more widespread opinion. This is not the only place where people express their opinion and if there is anyone reviewing social media for WDW (and I know there is because I know someone with that job) then they get the message but choose to ignore it. This has been brewing for quite a while and as you state, blaming it on " covid stress, fear of change or fans not understanding" in my opinion only shows that those who blame us for being negative do not understand the root cause OR choose to ignore it.

I was discussing this with a friend who was so into WDW she got married there and goes back 2x per year with her kids ( we are talking 20 years plus). She has NEVER stayed off property, NEVER rented a car NEVER gone to Universal or any of the additional attractions in Orlando. She partakes in all the up charge events such as the dessert party etc. She told me she felt sad because she is now going to try somewhere else next year and this is the fist year she has not taken advantage of a "bounce back" offer or had plans made for the following summer. What she said she was disgusted! So if the social media monitor at Disney is reading this.....understand that you are losing not only the little people but the cash cows too!!

Who said spend more? If Disney doesn't change anything they likely have less negative feedback.

Keep magical express, keep FP+, delay rides being finished if they want, ect.

Heck I think people would even be okay if they did a past new years event fireworks display for the 50th then went back to normal outlining the issues from Covid.

I am sure some are asking for more always but many are asking for more because Disney is cutting things and raising prices.
I disagree, if Disney delayed the 50th they would have been called out for it, they are also investing a ton in their parks, between new rides, hotels, and restaurants, ect… people don’t seem to mind when all of these things are being done, only when the price goes up “for no reason, out of nowhere”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter