Pete addressing all the hate on the podcast

I am literally planning my next trip to UO after going to WDW exclusively for many years. It's great if some of you feel the value is still there, all the power to you, but don't fool yourselves into believing that all of us are just bark and no bite. Obviously, our bites are like an ants on a giant though lol...

That being said I still love WDW and will continue to stay up to date on whats going on and new rides etc. I'm certainly not saying I'll NEVER go again. We'll see how things progress.

The sad thing is I don't feel the value is still there. It had nothing to do with and predated the shows. I used to go several times a year. I have no doubt I'll go again at some point, but I'm much more interested in going to DL and DCA than anything in Florida.

Meh I doubt it haha. It will drive competition, but the same thing was said about Harry Potter, it’s good, but again 😑
I can see it happening. There is already quite a few loyal Disney fans that finally gave Universal a chance. IMO what helps Disney right now is parents that grew up with Disney they continue to push their kids to like it. I say that cause my nieces when they were 5 and 6 loved Disney. 5 years later they would rather go to a park that had thrilling rides. They consider most of Disney rides as slow and boring.

I can see it happening. There is already quite a few loyal Disney fans that finally gave Universal a chance. IMO what helps Disney right now is parents that grew up with Disney they continue to push their kids to like it. I say that cause my nieces when they were 5 and 6 loved Disney. 5 years later they would rather go to a park that had thrilling rides. They consider most of Disney rides as slow and boring.
100% and I think that why they are leaning in on the 7 and under crowd these days

Sadly..Negative, vitriol, nasty cancel culture abounds. I don’t see it stopping anytime soon. Imho…There are more People that are UNhappy and project their own angst on/to others to make themselves feel better. You know… bring others down to raise themselves up.. sad.

Cut down/out on Social media and watch your life CHANGE…
… if I wouldn’t say it to your face, I wouldn’t post it and if my child Knew I said/did it would I be mortified?

There’s still Happy Grateful people out there, the negative Nellie, attention seeking beings just need to be …IGnored!
😊

And adding, when the Beacons of Light show at Spaceship Earth overshadows Harmonious... that says it all.
I was absolutely mesmerized by the Beacons of Light. I am so glad this is supposed to remain after the anniversary is over.

I have to say I agree with Pete in regards to the gut check. I might word it differently, but sometimes I have to step back a moment and make sure that when I have a negative reaction to something that there isn’t anything else influencing my opinion.

Everyone has their own criteria regarding what makes a show great. For some people, it’s the visual. For me, it’s the audio. I love music, and my reactions to movies, theme parks, and tv often revolve around how the music makes me feel. That was the part of Illuminations that I loved. I have that music on a CD that I listen to all the time. The music spoke to me, and still does. I don’t know how many people remember that the early Epcot shows used well known classical music for their soundtrack as opposed to custom or IP Disney music. I have been introduced to some great pieces of classical music through the Disney parks.

The problem I have with Harmonious is that they are mixing and mashing the music from different movies together in ways that remind me of a noisy restaurant. I may like the songs individually, but when played simultaneously, they become irritating. Once the music is irritating, all the visual technology in the world isn’t going to make me enjoy the show. However, I have only seen videos of the show, so I will reserve my final judgment until I see it in person. Perhaps with the acoustics in the park, the sound will improve enough that it’s enjoyable. I did not find Enchantment to be quite as irritating, but then, my favorite MK fireworks show was Fantasy In The Sky, so it’s been a while since I have loved a nighttime show at MK. I did enjoy the soundtrack to HEA more than Wishes though.

At the very least, I know nothing at Disney is permanent and I get to choose what I experience in the parks. If I don’t like a parade or a nighttime show, no one is forcing me to watch it. I can spend my time more enjoyably by doing other things. I don’t have a problem with people expressing an opinion different to mine, or even expressing their opinion to Disney. We aren’t going to like everything Disney does because they simply can’t please everyone all the time. I do think it’s important to be polite when doing so, if you want Disney to take you seriously. If they didn’t care about our opinions, they wouldn’t send out so many surveys.

I was absolutely mesmerized by the Beacons of Light. I am so glad this is supposed to remain after the anniversary is over.

I have to say I agree with Pete in regards to the gut check. I might word it differently, but sometimes I have to step back a moment and make sure that when I have a negative reaction to something that there isn’t anything else influencing my opinion.

Everyone has their own criteria regarding what makes a show great. For some people, it’s the visual. For me, it’s the audio. I love music, and my reactions to movies, theme parks, and tv often revolve around how the music makes me feel. That was the part of Illuminations that I loved. I have that music on a CD that I listen to all the time. The music spoke to me, and still does. I don’t know how many people remember that the early Epcot shows used well known classical music for their soundtrack as opposed to custom or IP Disney music. I have been introduced to some great pieces of classical music through the Disney parks.

The problem I have with Harmonious is that they are mixing and mashing the music from different movies together in ways that remind me of a noisy restaurant. I may like the songs individually, but when played simultaneously, they become irritating. Once the music is irritating, all the visual technology in the world isn’t going to make me enjoy the show. However, I have only seen videos of the show, so I will reserve my final judgment until I see it in person. Perhaps with the acoustics in the park, the sound will improve enough that it’s enjoyable. I did not find Enchantment to be quite as irritating, but then, my favorite MK fireworks show was Fantasy In The Sky, so it’s been a while since I have loved a nighttime show at MK. I did enjoy the soundtrack to HEA more than Wishes though.

At the very least, I know nothing at Disney is permanent and I get to choose what I experience in the parks. If I don’t like a parade or a nighttime show, no one is forcing me to watch it. I can spend my time more enjoyably by doing other things. I don’t have a problem with people expressing an opinion different to mine, or even expressing their opinion to Disney. We aren’t going to like everything Disney does because they simply can’t please everyone all the time. I do think it’s important to be polite when doing so, if you want Disney to take you seriously. If they didn’t care about our opinions, they wouldn’t send out so many surveys.
I think the only necessary gut check needs to be in how people speak to each other, not about the parks or Disney. I basically just imagine if I had a prospective employer reading my posts and determine at that point if what I'm saying is post-able. When it comes to criticism of the parks and the brand, it should be no-holds-barred imo. A WDW vacation is not - and has never been - cheap. So I think it's fair to look at it very critically.

I think the only necessary gut check needs to be in how people speak to each other, not about the parks or Disney. I basically just imagine if I had a prospective employer reading my posts and determine at that point if what I'm saying is post-able. When it comes to criticism of the parks and the brand, it should be no-holds-barred imo. A WDW vacation is not - and has never been - cheap. So I think it's fair to look at it very critically.
What the gut check does for me is make sure that if I am feeling negative about something, that it’s not something subjective. I am critical of wear and tear when the hotels and parks aren’t maintained, and it makes me angry when Disney allows wear and tear to show to the point it takes away from the experience. I get critical when they don’t keep it clean like they should. Cleanliness and safety should be their top priority, in my opinion. But when it comes to entertainment, where something I like may not be the same thing another visitor likes, I just don’t feel right expressing that same level of criticism. Things like resort parking fees and dropping Magical Express aren’t the same to me as not liking the way they arranged the music in a fireworks show. But that is just how I feel. It sounds like you feel differently, and that’s OK. :flower3:

What the gut check does for me is make sure that if I am feeling negative about something, that it’s not something subjective. I am critical of wear and tear when the hotels and parks aren’t maintained, and it makes me angry when Disney allows wear and tear to show to the point it takes away from the experience. I get critical when they don’t keep it clean like they should. Cleanliness and safety should be their top priority, in my opinion. But when it comes to entertainment, where something I like may not be the same thing another visitor likes, I just don’t feel right expressing that same level of criticism. Things like resort parking fees and dropping Magical Express aren’t the same to me as not liking the way they arranged the music in a fireworks show. But that is just how I feel. It sounds like you feel differently, and that’s OK. :flower3:
It's just so hard to draw the line sometimes. Harmonious for example does require large barges and a Stargate-like structure that is an undeniable eyesore during the day. Enchantment did actually remove some of the technical advancements seen in HEA, so I consider it an objective downgrade. But definitely, at end of day it's all just my own feelings and opinions that I'm sharing! I'm certainly no Disney expert, not by any standard and certainly not by this community's standards lol.

That was the part of Illuminations that I loved. I have that music on a CD that I listen to all the time.
I am the same way with Tapestry of Nations. Tho I don't understand all(any of) the words. I still get up and sway to it. about 5 minutes in it. Makes me feel good to be alive.

Last edited:
Disney is becoming more and more expensive so naturally people expect quality. Does that mean every single product/show they put out will be wonderful? No, but it means people will likely be critical because they've spent a lot of their hard earned money to be there.

I think, if you charge a premium price, people will expect a premium product, so I follow your logic that the bar they have set for themselves will be a little bit higher.

Connecting with Walt is interesting this week-I had the impression when listening to disunplugged this week that the other folks in the room didn’t really have the same opinion Pete did of the new shows and that’s made pretty clear on this podcast (love me some Craig and Michael!).

Next trip to WDW. We own DVC and are not planning anything in the future and no one at my house is sad about that-which is sad, I guess. We will be back to DL which is our favorite, but our kids preferred USO on our last Florida trip-and we were able to buy 15 month annual passes there for about $300 bucks. Now, one thing my family loves is being able to walk to and between parks (this DL and USO)-but we also love not having to do huge planning ahead of time and those other two parks work much better for that, while WDW just is, well, more and more work and more and more money.

We just met someone last night who actually designed something pretty major for the 50th, and he told us that they only decided on going ahead with doing something celebratory for the 50th about 6 months ago, and everything was rushed. That explains a lot, and I’m sure many of these things were hastily completed. Also, that may explain why there are not special fireworks just for the 50th; only a new ok show that isn’t as good as HEA. (We thought it was better in person FWIW). It opened our eyes a bit and helps me understand. Still, I wish on the morning of, they had Mickey & Minnie do a simple ribbon cutting, or something. I’m sure once the company regains some footing, which may be a while, there will be a better show that replaces Enchantment.

for Harmonious, I’m sure they had better plans for moving those Barges in and out of the World Showcase lagoon but couldn’t complete as planned due to budget. The show seems otherwise as planned, though, maybe with some fireworks cut? Whether or not we liked that artistic direction that show took is just a matter of taste.

It's just so hard to draw the line sometimes. Harmonious for example does require large barges and a Stargate-like structure that is an undeniable eyesore during the day. Enchantment did actually remove some of the technical advancements seen in HEA, so I consider it an objective downgrade. But definitely, at end of day it's all just my own feelings and opinions that I'm sharing! I'm certainly no Disney expert, not by any standard and certainly not by this community's standards lol.

Actually, Disney could have done what was done in Tokyo and made a "stargate" that's collapsible:

I was so disappointed with Disney throughout these Covid times, but I did realize it was coming from something deeper. I visit yearly and always saw Disney as this magical, larger-than-life, untouchable place where I could go and be immersed and safe and not have to worry about anything. When I saw Disney being affected by the pandemic, it made me realize how bad things really were in the world.

As the pandemic continued and Disney continued to change, I came to the sobering realization that Disney is not untouchable. That they are just a regular company who is vulnerable to a global pandemic just like any other company. They aren't above budget cuts and staffing problems and they can't magically run normally in times like these. As a result, the "magical bubble" in my mind was popped and I was upset. I really loved that bubble. It was my escape from the real world. Kind of like when you find out the truth about Santa and Christmas is never the same.

I now see Disney for what it is. A really cool theme park with so many different things to do and great theming. I don't feel the obsessive need to visit every year anymore. I am more interested in trying out some other types of vacations, but I'm not angry anymore. I get it. It sucks, but also my expectations were unrealistic.

I am dying to go to Tokyo Disney tbh. This pandemic has made me realize I should've gone more places while I could. The moment Japan opens to tourism again I will start planning my trip.

It's definitely worth it! Especially since they're adding 3 new lands to DisneySea...already the best theme park in the world IMO (Though those lands won't open until 2023)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter