Peas did not fully soften in Split Pea Soup

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
Now, I have read that it’s because I added low sodium chicken broth, and yet, I have added that chicken broth in the past. The soup was in crock pot for 12 hours on low, and I had a ham bone in it as usual.

The only difference this time is that I did soak the split peas overnight, and never did that before. The peas did absorb water, and so, there was more liquid in the pot than usual. Could that be the reason the soup is so different, and not smooth?

This is one reason given as I looked on line.”. Salt increases the osmolality of the soup, so water won't be pulled into the peas by osmosis” . Yet, ham itself has salt so, I don’t know what to think. Any suggestions for next time. I only make this twice a year, and I enjoy it. This time, it’s not enjoyable.

Thank you.

Now, I have read that it’s because I added low sodium chicken broth, and yet, I have added that chicken broth in the past. The soup was in crock pot for 12 hours on low, and I had a ham bone in it as usual.

The only difference this time is that I did soak the split peas overnight, and never did that before. The peas did absorb water, and so, there was more liquid in the pot than usual. Could that be the reason the soup is so different, and not smooth?

This is one reason given as I looked on line.”. Salt increases the osmolality of the soup, so water won't be pulled into the peas by osmosis” . Yet, ham itself has salt so, I don’t know what to think. Any suggestions for next time. I only make this twice a year, and I enjoy it. This time, it’s not enjoyable.

Thank you.

Throw it in a blender. Problem solved.

Thank you, I wish it were. The peas did not get all mushy, so what I have is teeny tiny hard bits of peas!

That seems like an issue with the peas themselves. Are you sure you picked through them before cooking and removed all the little pebbles? I often find several in my bags of peas.

Otherwise are you sure you cooked the soup long enough? This seems like a very strange problem.

I see now you cooked the soup on low for 12 hours. That is likely the problem. Soups made with dried peas and beans need to BOIL, for at least an hour. Slow cooking split peas is likely the issue. My mom used to make peas soup in her old fashioned pressure cooker. You can't use a slow cooker.

I would recommend putting the soup in a regular pot on the stove and boil it for at least 30-60 minutes. You may need to add more liquid as some evaporates.

Dried peas/beans that fail can get that way before they get to us. Either too old or stored too hot/dry, like a too hot section of the warehouse.

If the soup came out good otherwise, blending it up then straining the hard bits might work or vice versa.

Thank you for all your help...I liked the recipe DLgal. I have used the crock pot recipe many times, and always on low 10-12 hours. I have to assume it is the peas this time. I’ll be having it, it has a good taste, just the strange bits.

The next time I have a ham bone, I will be trying the new recipe.

Thank you for all your help...I liked the recipe DLgal. I have used the crock pot recipe many times, and always on low 10-12 hours. I have to assume it is the peas this time. I’ll be having it, it has a good taste, just the strange bits.

The next time I have a ham bone, I will be trying the new recipe.
I'd eat it too :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter