Paying College Tuition bills

you all know that you can get a check from Chase Visa for your Disney Visa to get points (most other companies will give you a check too) and send that in to pay whatever. I just got checks from Visa in the mail again yesterday and it was no fee to use them and sometimes they say 0% financing on whatever we paid for with those checks for 6 months or so.

We haven't used them yet but I'm sure we will someday.

I was wondering about those checks!

I'm guessing this is a state by state issue. Just like some states allow gas stations to have a cash price and a credit card price, some states do not allow it.

I just paid for my DD's first semester of college residence fees with my Citi AA, trying to earn miles and spending my accumulated Disney Rewards on a Dec. trip, and had no problem.

I don't recall IF the recent Dodd-Frank bill addressed this "passing on of fee's" nationally or not. I'm thinking it did NOT. But is has been a few weeks since I've read the specifics.

Google to check your state to see IF there are laws against a cash vs. credit pricing.

Wow...that's a bummer too! I guess at least we can charge for their books. I am assuming that is the case for most people also. Bookstores take credit cards?

Oh well.....there went my dreams of more Disney Rewards points. I am really hoping to have enough in March 2013 to be able to take them to Disney and let them invite a friend each and stay in a 2 bedroom with our DVC points and pay for all of the food with our Disney Rewards. Then we would just pay for gas for our van to drive there and all the friends would have to pay for is the tickets to get in.

If I had more reward points, I would consider offering to buy tickets, but I can see that I won't have enough based on what I am charging each month.

OP didn't you post on the other thread that your only paying something like $2200 for both your kids for the year?? (I remember beccause it was so low!) How many points would that even get you on Disney visa-I thought the reward was like 1%? That shouldn't really affect your vacation plans :confused3 (Maybe the reward is more than I thought?)

OP didn't you post on the other thread that your only paying something like $2200 for both your kids for the year?? (I remember beccause it was so low!) How many points would that even get you on Disney visa-I thought the reward was like 1%? That shouldn't really affect your vacation plans :confused3 (Maybe the reward is more than I thought?)

It doesn't effect my vacation plans (other than how much of our food is paid for by reward points). I am just disappointed I won't get reward points when paying the college bills. And that amount was for this semester (we haven't gotten next spring semester's bill yet). And it will be very different even next semester because my DDs got these small scholarships (but very helpful when they are added up) and some were awarded in full the first semester and some were split, but they are one time things and next year they won't have them.

But for me...an extra charge of $2200 would mean $22 and I would sure like to have gotten than for our trip. And for future semesters it would have meant quite a bit more. We aren't one of those people that can charge a lot all the time, so when we have big bills like this we have to pay, I just like to get all the reward points I can get.

Oh and I just realized that I said we were going in March 2013, but I should have said 2014 or 2015. I have no points for this coming March (and I am going to be going through several months of medical treatments starting next month). So we would either go in 2014 and borrow points, or go in 2015 with banked points so that we would have enough for a 2 bedroom (we only have 150 points).

So that would give me a year or two of tuition that I would have gotten rewards points if I could have used my disney visa. But it wasn't meant to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter