Paula Deen racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you bother to read the article?

Was that called for?? Deen described what she wanted for "a true southern plantation-style wedding" she was catering. Sorry if I misread that statement. I assumed Deen was catering it

This was the part I was uncomfortable with too. Although I took "a desire to have African Americans dressed in "long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties, you know in the Shirley Temple days, they used to tap dance around" as more of a paid minstrel entertainer, not as a slave.

Either way, as a guest, I would be mortified.

But, again, I bet black actors would line up by the hundreds to do a paid presentation like that. Some people look at things differently.

What if it just so happened that everyone that applied to be a server at this catered affair was black? And therefore everyone serving at the affair was black. Would this be considered racist?

What if it just so happened that everyone that applied to be a server at this catered affair was black? And therefore everyone serving at the affair was black. Would this be considered racist?

I would imagine if she was only looking for black servers, everyone waiting tables would be black. But, if the black servers came at their own will and applied for the job and collected a paycheck, I don't know if that would be racist.

All I know is that I would be uncomfortable attending a party like that.

Same with Hooters. They are looking for attractive, large breasted women. Is it sexist? Is it discriminatory against overweight, unattractive women? Perhaps. Yet, the parking lot is always filled.

Yes. And insulting.

Was that called for?? Deen described what she wanted for "a true southern plantation-style wedding" she was catering. Sorry if I misread that statement. I assumed Deen was catering it

You have been blindly defending her from the beginning. If you had read the article you wouldn't have asked that question. Defend if you like her but know the facts.

No one was a bigger fan than I was but I'm willing to learn the details and make a decision. I've been to her restaurant, been on her tour, met her family. Now I'd like to know more about this.

You have been blindly defending her from the beginning. If you had read the article you wouldn't have asked that question. Defend if you like her but know the facts.

No one was a bigger fan than I was but I'm willing to learn the details and make a decision. I've been to her restaurant, been on her tour, met her family. Now I'd like to know more about this.

I still defend her. I don't think using the N word was wise, but we all make mistakes.

Manager sounds like a money grabber as well as someone seeking their 15 minutes of fame.

I hear the N word often, its usually coming out of the mouth of a rap artist or other similar character or an older black person in reference to another. How is that okay and its not okay when Paula uses it to describe a person who held a gun to her head 30 years ago?

The wedding scenario was something she discussed with an employee. She had a "vision" of a theme and noted that even though she thought it would be a good theme, she knew it would not go over well. Sheesh, it was a conversation not an action.

The fact that it would not go over well IMO has nothing to do with being a racist it has to do with the propensity we as a society have to somehow right all the wrongs back to the beginning of time by removing all references or treating so many scenarios as offensive. Colleges are contemplating changing mascots because someone finds it offensive, there are folks that would rewrite novels (Tom Sawyer) due to the use of vocabulary that was acceptable at the time but is now viewed as offensive. Sometimes we just can't win. Can't please all the people all the time.

Have you ever used the N word? is a wide open question to ask a person of her age, who grew up in the South. Attacking someone for something said or done years ago is just ridiculous IMO. None of us have led perfect lives, why do we put others on such a high pedestal.

Manager sounds like a money grabber as well as someone seeking their 15 minutes of fame.

I hear the N word often, its usually coming out of the mouth of a rap artist or other similar character or an older black person in reference to another. How is that okay and its not okay when Paula uses it to describe a person who held a gun to her head 30 years ago?

The wedding scenario was something she discussed with an employee. She had a "vision" of a theme and noted that even though she thought it would be a good theme, she knew it would not go over well. Sheesh, it was a conversation not an action.

The fact that it would not go over well IMO has nothing to do with being a racist it has to do with the propensity we as a society have to somehow right all the wrongs back to the beginning of time by removing all references or treating so many scenarios as offensive. Colleges are contemplating changing mascots because someone finds it offensive, there are folks that would rewrite novels (Tom Sawyer) due to the use of vocabulary that was acceptable at the time but is now viewed as offensive. Sometimes we just can't win. Can't please all the people all the time.

Have you ever used the N word? is a wide open question to ask a person of her age, who grew up in the South. Attacking someone for something said or done years ago is just ridiculous IMO. None of us have led perfect lives, why do we put others on such a high pedestal.

:thumbsup2

You know what? You must listen to a different kind of music because in the course of a year I might hear it one time because I literally NEVER hear it said or sung. I avoid lyrics like that or people who speak like that so I guess I haven't grown a hard skin to it.

Like I said I don't care about the word. Words are words, we've all said words. It's the mentality I can't stand, and it's a mentality that is still prevalent in parts of the country, whether people like to be blind to it or not.

I don't hold her on a pedestal, and you know what? I probably will forget about this after today. I love her food and she reminds me of my Mom. She did some wrong things, heck we all have.

:faint: Oh, dear, Paula. You know better. Think what you like, but keep your opinions to yourself.

I was born in 1956 and raised in the Deep South. Therefore, I can readily remember active, culturally sanctioned racism. Riding the city bus with my grandmother, I asked why all the "colored people", as they were called then, had to ride in the back. I was quickly shushed and told it's where they belonged. I asked my aunt why the KKK were standing on both sides of the street during a parade. :confused3 She told me they were "needed."

Fortunately, I was raised by parents who did not subscribe to the status quo. We were not allowed to use the N-word, nor discriminate in any way. However, it was all around us in plain sight and my sibs & I were actually teased and called N-lovers because we would speak up in defense of individuals who were being mistreated.

Today is a different climate. It is unbelievable to me that anyone would think it okay to use racially charged language anywhere, but especially in public. I fear that Paula has opened a real can of worms on herself, one from which it will be hard to extricate herself. She will suffer a lot of negative publicity for this and she deserves it. There will always be those who see no problem with her "exercising her first amendment rights" but that doesn't make it a morally acceptable action.

Words don't make you racist. Thoughts, beliefs, and actions make you racist. If words made you racist the members of NWA would be recruited by the KKK.

I have no idea what the heck she was thinking with that wedding scenario. Even if her client insisted on it you can decline to do the party, it isn't like she is living paycheck to paycheck and has to get any gig she can.

I've never used the N word. Even when trying to convey a story about when somebody else said the N word. I just can't get it to come out of my mouth. It feels so dirty, hateful, ignorant and wrong.

There isn't a defense for the use of the word.

I don't think Paula Deen has been a "nationally loved" personality since it became public that the foods that she promotes caused her diabetes. She then she hid that illness and continued to promote her foods until she found a pharmaceutical company willing to pay her to pimp their drugs. It was completely unethical.

She is a twit all the way around.

:faint: Oh, dear, Paula. You know better. Think what you like, but keep your opinions to yourself.

I was born in 1956 and raised in the Deep South. Therefore, I can readily remember active, culturally sanctioned racism. Riding the city bus with my grandmother, I asked why all the "colored people", as they were called then, had to ride in the back. I was quickly shushed and told it's where they belonged. I asked my aunt why the KKK were standing on both sides of the street during a parade. :confused3 She told me they were "needed."

Fortunately, I was raised by parents who did not subscribe to the status quo. We were not allowed to use the N-word, nor discriminate in any way. However, it was all around us in plain sight and my sibs & I were actually teased and called N-lovers because we would speak up in defense of individuals who were being mistreated.

Today is a different climate. It is unbelievable to me that anyone would think it okay to use racially charged language anywhere, but especially in public. I fear that Paula has opened a real can of worms on herself, one from which it will be hard to extricate herself. She will suffer a lot of negative publicity for this and she deserves it. There will always be those who see no problem with her "exercising her first amendment rights" but that doesn't make it a morally acceptable action.

LOL, I was born in 1956, too and take it from me, Brooklyn wasn't much better. We didn't have laws on the books but the hatred and the bigotry was way more blatant and in yo' FACE.

Both of my parents were born in the South and told me the difference. My Dad really informed me the importance of being humble just to stay alive. My Mom, on the other hand, fought the good fight and didn't allow anyone to tell her what she was or what she couldn't do.

I understand Paula's time, she was raised in my Mom's age. It was commonplace then.

I've never used the N word. Even when trying to convey a story about when somebody else said the N word. I just can't get it to come out of my mouth. It feels so dirty, hateful, ignorant and wrong.

There isn't a defense for the use of the word.

And yet it is used every day. If there is no defense then certain people (say Jamie Foxx and certain Hip Hop artists) would be out of the business. Apparently it is not the word itself, but who says the word. I think that is what frustrates many people.

And yet it is used every day. If there is no defense then certain people (say Jamie Foxx and certain Hip Hop artists) would be out of the business. Apparently it is not the word itself, but who says the word. I think that is what frustrates many people.

If you don't listen to hip hop or Jamie Foxx JayZ types you can avoid it, though. I don't even know a song by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter