Passport expiry

Oddjob

Mouseketeer
Hi All
Can I just ask to confirm
How long ned to be on your passport after your due return date
It is 6 months isnt it?!
Thanks Guys

The US actually only require your passport to be valid for as long as your intended stay, but some airlines insist on 6 months, so best to check with the airline you are flying with if your passport has less than 6 month til expiry.
Claire ;)

That sounds fine, but if you do want to renew early then the passport office will add up to 9 months remaining on the old passport onto the new one.
Claire ;)

every airline i've been on has required 6 months.....

we even had an amusing altercation with one when we were flying to the US and the kids US passports only had 3 months left on them.....
the ground agent kept insisting the passports needed to have 6 months on them......it took her a while to understand that we were flying TO the US with US passports.....in other words we're american citizens....all we need are passports good for the day we're entering the country.....after that they could expire (since we don't need passports when we're in our own country)........she finally asked her supervisor who just looked at her without comment....
she was blonde so i guess that explains it....

The US embassy say that if you have a British passport and are travelling on the visa waiver then it only needs to be valid for the duration of your stay.
This is what it says on the website

Passport Validity

If traveling under the Visa Waiver Program, the passport must be valid for at least 90 days from the date on which the holder enters the United States. If not, the holder will be admitted until the expiration date on the passport. Note: Passport holders from Andorra, Brunei, and San Marino must be in possession of a passport valid for at least six months from the date of departure from the United States, even if traveling visa free under the Visa Waiver Program

Virgin Atlantic use the same critieria as the US ie valid til expiry if less than 90 days remaining -
see here

Claire ;)

Actually some UK airports can be funny if you have less than 6months left on your passport - this usually only applies to countries like the US. I was told this is incase for whatever reason you have to or decide to stay in the states longer than originally planned ?!

But then, i always seem to get the grumpiest possible person at Gatwick airport!

Laurafoster said:
Actually some UK airports can be funny if you have less than 6months left on your passport - this usually only applies to countries like the US. I was told this is incase for whatever reason you have to or decide to stay in the states longer than originally planned ?!

But then, i always seem to get the grumpiest possible person at Gatwick airport!

Trouble is that it is absolute rubbish. if you enter the US on Visa Waiver the maximum stay is 90 days.

I would also say that it has absolutely F all to do with a rent-a-cop security guard. If what you have is good enough for the US authorities to admit you and the airline to fly you; then security can go take a running jump!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter