• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Park Vue vs. Desert Palms

0nyx

Earning My Ears
Hey guys trying to plan a trip for end of June with my family. I have two hotel bookings at the moment and can’t decide which one to hold on to.

First is Park Vue Inn, right across the street from Disneyland, and it’s $1500 for the whole time we’re there.

Second is Desert Palms Springs further down harbor blvd on the corner of harbor and W katella, and it’s $1000~.

Is it worth being super close to Disneyland for the $500 increase? Anyone been to Desert Palm that can let me know how that walk is. I’ve always wanted to be across the park so Park Vue is the perfect location, just not sure if it’s worth it.

"Worth it" is always subjective. DP is about a ten-minute walk. How many nights are you staying, and are you planning on mid-day breaks? Those factors can make a big difference to me, but in all honesty, I always stay as close as possible. Nothing feels better to me than walking across the street and falling in my bed, while others are still waiting on shuttles and trekking down Harbor.

I think it depends on the demographics of the group as well. If you have little ones, it may be worth having the close room for any meltdowns (or a quick nap to prevent a meltdown). Similarly, if you have any seniors in the group, the extra distance of Desert Palms may be tough.

Also, if you have a car parking has historically been included at Park Vue but was $18/night at Desert Palms last I saw. EDIT: Per Desert Palms it is now $22/night and you have to move your car by check out time.
So double check that as well.

My parents are senior so the lack of distance is gonna help them. We're not driving so no need for parking, it's unfortunate Park Vue doesn't have their free breakfast anymore, Desert Palms does.

"Worth it" is always subjective. DP is about a ten-minute walk. How many nights are you staying, and are you planning on mid-day breaks? Those factors can make a big difference to me, but in all honesty, I always stay as close as possible. Nothing feels better to me than walking across the street and falling in my bed, while others are still waiting on shuttles and trekking down Harbor.

I'm gonna be there for 3 days, 1 day in DCA and 2 in Disneyland, Mid-day breaks are def something i'm looking in to, we may or may not do that, although i'm sure my parents would appreciate the chance to.

Last edited:

We usually stay at Park Place which is next to Park Vue. They have breakfast, but they cost a bit more. We go there because we need bedding for 5. I've always wanted to go to Desert Palms. The rooms look great and they have breakfast. Doesn't seem like that bad of a walk either. If you go the other way to HoJo, it's a long walk, you get no breakfast, and it costs twice and much as Desert Palms.

I don't think you'll regret either place.

For the $500 difference, I'd stay at Desert Palms. The free breakfast is a nice bonus. Also, I've stayed at both, and honestly, the Desert Palms isn't a bad walk at all. One thing that makes it feel shorter to me is that you don't have to cross Harbor Blvd. Just turn right out of the parks and keep walking. The only street crossing you have to make is the buses-only entrance, so it isn't busy at all.

I stayed at Desert Palms years ago and the walk was a haul after being in the parks all day. I used to stay at Park Vue Inn all the time, being across the street is definetly worth the extra money to me, plus there is a little store on the premises which is a bonus

We have stayed at the Park Vue Inn for each of our last 3 trips. As has been repeatedly mentioned, the location is pretty fantastic. We’re staying there again in a week and pretty bummed that breakfast went away, but are planning on mid day breaks to beat the heat/crowds so we definitely think it’s still a great option.

Following this thread! We’re booked for 3 nights at Desert Palms after hearing great things! We have 2 older kids- tween/ teen. Don’t need a mid day break. Free breakfast sounds amazing! We might not get a rental car until our departure day bc we won’t need it until then.

Last time we stayed at the HoJo- cute and amazing fireworks/ park view from our room, but holy cow was it LOUD!! I’m hoping being off the highway slightly will help!?

I'm fairly back and forth about this. My general thought is closer is better, and I love PVI. I mean, you can't really get closer (BW PPI is the same distance). After walking a half-marathon over the course of the day (our typical is around 13 miles a day), it's lovely to cross the street and be "home." And they have Cold Stone Creamery at the front of the building, and we frequently pop in there on our way home.

But, for a $500 less at DPalms, that's:

83 Dole Whips -or-
66 Specialty churros -or-
Dinner for 8 or so at a moderate sit-down restaurant (Blue Bayou, etc) -or-
4-6 spirit jerseys -or-
10-ish sweatshirts -or-
12 t-shirts -or-
18-ish bubble wands -or-
25+ quick service breakfasts...
You get the idea.

However, I've stayed down that way before, and with every hotel/motel I passed, I thought, "If I'd only stayed at Desert Inn, I'd be home.... If I'd only stayed at del Sol, I'd be home already.... If I'd stayed at Grand Legacy, I'd be in my room.... If I'd stayed at BW Anaheim, I'd have my shoes off already.... If I'd stayed at Anaheim Hotel, I'd be heading into my room now.... If I'd only put up the cash for Candy Cane Inn [currently not open], I'd be home now." It was like buyer's remorse with every step I took. Granted, most of those hotels are the other side of street, but the idea was the same-- had I crossed the street and been staying at one of those locations, I would have been done walking.

Also consider if you might be having to dragging a child on that walk. When we take our 7yo grandkids, they are beat by the end of the night. One of them fell asleep before he could even get into his pajamas and we were only staying across the street at Desert Inn and Suites next to Park Vue. (That one made us laugh as he's our most energetic grandson and is constantly go-go-go, so seeing him fall asleep while taking his shoes off was pretty dang funny.) Carrying a 7yo down the length of Harbor from the pedestrian entrance to Katella would be a challenge for Hubs or myself.

Are you traveling with any seniors? That would also affect my decision; again, totally based on how long it would take for them to get back to the room when they were done with their day.

I'm fairly back and forth about this. My general thought is closer is better, and I love PVI. I mean, you can't really get closer (BW PPI is the same distance). After walking a half-marathon over the course of the day (our typical is around 13 miles a day), it's lovely to cross the street and be "home." And they have Cold Stone Creamery at the front of the building, and we frequently pop in there on our way home.

83 Dole Whips -or-
4-6 spirit jerseys -or-
10-ish sweatshirts -or-
12 t-shirts -or-
18-ish bubble wands -or-
You get the idea.

However, I've stayed down that way before, and with every hotel/motel I passed, I thought, "If I'd only stayed at Desert Inn, I'd be home.... If I'd only stayed at del Sol, I'd be home already.... If I'd stayed at Grand Legacy, I'd be in my room.... If I'd stayed at BW Anaheim, I'd have my shoes off already.... If I'd stayed at Anaheim Hotel, I'd be heading into my room now.... If I'd only put up the cash for Candy Cane Inn [currently not open], I'd be home now." It was like buyer's remorse with every step I took. Granted, most of those hotels are the other side of street, but the idea was the same-- had I crossed the street and been staying at one of those locations, I would have been done walking.

Also consider if you might be having to dragging a child on that walk. When we take our 7yo grandkids, they are beat by the end of the night. One of them fell asleep before he could even get into his pajamas and we were only staying across the street at Desert Inn and Suites next to Park Vue. (That one made us laugh as he's our most energetic grandson and is constantly go-go-go, so seeing him fall asleep while taking his shoes off was pretty dang funny.) Carrying a 7yo down the length of Harbor from the pedestrian entrance to Katella would be a challenge for Hubs or myself.

Are you traveling with any seniors? That would also affect my decision; again, totally based on how long it would take for them to get back to the room when they were done with their day.
Yes, I agree that the distance factor comes up HUGE, and like you said especially at night when everyone is tired.

Question for the OP, do you have young kids? If so I think the Park Vue may be worth it for the reasons listed above. I also remember when my kids were younger and we would bring them back to the hotel for naps.

83 Dole Whips -or-
4-6 spirit jerseys -or-
10-ish sweatshirts -or-
12 t-shirts -or-
18-ish bubble wands -or-
You get the idea.

I don't have kids with me but my parents are seniors so the closer walk would be beneficial for sure, I double-checked and the difference is closer to $400 actually. Still steep but not as horrible as before.

Thanks for your advice! and for everyone else in this thread. Yea $400 is a lot, but I'm honestly leaning on keeping the PV reservation. Disneyland is a once in a decade vacation for me and my family so might as well go hard lol.

Which hotel do you use instead? Really wish Park Vue still did breakfast, it would make our hotel choice easier!

Please call and let them know that you would like breakfast to return and that it is a factor in where you book. They are a small hotel and they do take feedback into consideration. The more of us who mention it the more likely they will bring it back in some way shape or form.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter