Parents, please have some courtesy......

Discussion in 'Camping at Disney World' started by KodiakKort, Jan 11, 2019.

1. KodiakKort

KodiakKort Earning My Ears

…..and don't have your children take up bar stools at Crocket's Tavern.
    Besides taking up valuable space at a bar that only has room for about 6 persons, the bartender would much rather have a customer that is spending $$$ on drinks and not a child drinking water with their computer tablet on full volume cartoons. Take your drinks and have them out on a rocker.
    (That was my experience Jan. 4th)
    But, of course, we live in a world where everything is about "ME ME ME".
    Good night.

2. tiggerdad

tiggerdad I don't always get distracted but whe...SQUIRREL!

Absolutely not!

Stay inside, keep my rockers open. How else can I get my Kickn it at the Fort pics?

:thumbsup2

StageTek likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. piccolopat

piccolopat DIS Veteran

I don't think children should ever sit at the bar in any establishment.

5. Breezy2

Breezy2 Earning My Ears

AgreeX2. Bars/Lounges, adult refuges, are no place for children. Adults, being adults, who may be unwinding after a stressful kid filled day, will be having adult conversations possibly laced with very colorful language. No place for children. Witnessed the same at Territory Lounge the other night and even worse. A family of 6, mostly children, walked in, sat at a corner table, and didn't even order a single drink-not even water. Just decided this was a place for their family to relax. Guess they didn't know the hotel had a lobby-LOL! Come on Disney-start putting up 21 and over signs, and if you need to compromise, at least make the BAR 21 and over and specify special sections in Lounges for families.

6. AprilLizbeth

AprilLizbeth Big-time dork!

I have 3 little boys and I agree. Kids don't sit at the bar. Period. If my husband and I happen to get out without them and want to sit at a bar its nice to sit with other adults. Yes Disney is for families but the bar isn't the place.

7. Ben E N

Ben E N DIS Veteran

Random thought to add to this - What if the kids are quietly sitting on an adult's lap, engaged in an electronic device? They are not taking up an extra seat, are quiet, and are not paying attention to any discussion going on. Is that acceptable, or still a no? And if so, why?
    Thanks

8. SteveH

SteveH Earning my Mai Tai

@Ben E N my .02¢ is no. Reasoning is that a bar is a bar, children shouldn't be at a bar, Disney or not. Most children that would be able to sit on a lap have an attention span of a gnat. So yes they might be fine for a few minutes but after that they're not, same goes for most "devices" they rarely stay quiet in this day and age. Disney is a great place for families as well as for adults, I think it's totally fine to have some non-children space, especially when alcohol is served.

9. dakotix

dakotix DIS Dad #852 from Central Massachusetts

There are laws put in place in some states that prohibit children from sitting at the bar. I agree I dint think it's appropriate to sit at the bar with your kids Get a table (even if it's on the bar area) just not AT the bar.

10. StageTek

StageTek It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

I see less of an issues with a child sitting quietly on an adults lap at the bar engaged quietly in their device.

But how likely is that?

I'm with Breezy2 on this one; yes Disney is a place for families with kids. But bars at Disney really should be a place for adults without kids. Parents should show a little courtesy. But courtesy is from a gone era.

Random experience at that same bar: My friend and I were there for about 20 minutes talking to another couple when a women and child took the one bar seat left. The kid (about 7) was watching cartoons on a tablet with the volume up. The four of us were chatting and laughing and were not being mindful of children's ears and we raised our voices to compensate for the volume coming from the tablet. The mother made it very clear that she wanted us to keep it down and mind our language. Keep in mind that all four of us adults were frequent Disney goers and parents and over 50. We weren't foul mouthed but were were talking like adults at a bar.

Just maybe, a bar - even in Disney - isn't the best place for children. As KodiakKort mentioned, there are places to sit outside of Crocket's.

11. SteveH

SteveH Earning my Mai Tai

@StageTek Bingo! your experience is exactly where I was going with my comment. I think I would have tried to contain my tongue, but I'm not sure if I could have or not. Having just wasted 40 minutes of my life at the Post Office with 3 kids with competing electronic devices with ignorant parents I don't think I would have contained my comments ;)

StageTek and Summer2018 like this.
  12. Ben E N

Ben E N DIS Veteran

I'm all about keeping kids out as well, but man, the examples listed are those of bad behavior exhibited by ignorant parents, not anything from the kids themselves.

SteveH likes this.
  13. team bradfield

team bradfield happy campers

and unfortunately kids learn from their parents, when we get drinks at any establishment, when ours were young, I'd get the drinks and the DW or I would remain outside with the kids.

14. Lehuaann

Lehuaann aloha nui loa

It might be a good idea for someone to start a FW Etiquette thread before Reflections opens next door.

15. Wubar

Wubar Stop asking about "worth". Totally subjective.

Tend to agree. But I am wondering if you went up to say anything to the parents of those stool squatting children during yoir experience, or did you provately fume about it and your post here is just your public service announcement?

16. MudQueen22

MudQueen22 DIS Veteran

Normally, I have issues with people displaying bar room behavior in front of children; however, I must agree with Stage Tek in this instance. Children should not be in bars.
    There are so many perfect places in Disney for children; a bar isn’t one of them.

17. MudQueen22

MudQueen22 DIS Veteran

Chances are, this would have caused a big scene and commotion; I imagine the parent bringing children in a bar is likely one to not want to hear any constructive criticism.

SteveH likes this.