Parents, please have some courtesy......

Status
Not open for further replies.

KodiakKort

Earning My Ears
…..and don't have your children take up bar stools at Crocket's Tavern.
Besides taking up valuable space at a bar that only has room for about 6 persons, the bartender would much rather have a customer that is spending $$$ on drinks and not a child drinking water with their computer tablet on full volume cartoons. Take your drinks and have them out on a rocker.
(That was my experience Jan. 4th)
But, of course, we live in a world where everything is about "ME ME ME".
Good night.

AgreeX2. Bars/Lounges, adult refuges, are no place for children. Adults, being adults, who may be unwinding after a stressful kid filled day, will be having adult conversations possibly laced with very colorful language. No place for children. Witnessed the same at Territory Lounge the other night and even worse. A family of 6, mostly children, walked in, sat at a corner table, and didn't even order a single drink-not even water. Just decided this was a place for their family to relax. Guess they didn't know the hotel had a lobby-LOL! Come on Disney-start putting up 21 and over signs, and if you need to compromise, at least make the BAR 21 and over and specify special sections in Lounges for families.

Random thought to add to this - What if the kids are quietly sitting on an adult's lap, engaged in an electronic device? They are not taking up an extra seat, are quiet, and are not paying attention to any discussion going on. Is that acceptable, or still a no? And if so, why?
Thanks

@Ben E N my .02¢ is no. Reasoning is that a bar is a bar, children shouldn't be at a bar, Disney or not. Most children that would be able to sit on a lap have an attention span of a gnat. So yes they might be fine for a few minutes but after that they're not, same goes for most "devices" they rarely stay quiet in this day and age. Disney is a great place for families as well as for adults, I think it's totally fine to have some non-children space, especially when alcohol is served.

I see less of an issues with a child sitting quietly on an adults lap at the bar engaged quietly in their device.

But how likely is that?

I'm with Breezy2 on this one; yes Disney is a place for families with kids. But bars at Disney really should be a place for adults without kids. Parents should show a little courtesy. But courtesy is from a gone era.

Random experience at that same bar: My friend and I were there for about 20 minutes talking to another couple when a women and child took the one bar seat left. The kid (about 7) was watching cartoons on a tablet with the volume up. The four of us were chatting and laughing and were not being mindful of children's ears and we raised our voices to compensate for the volume coming from the tablet. The mother made it very clear that she wanted us to keep it down and mind our language. Keep in mind that all four of us adults were frequent Disney goers and parents and over 50. We weren't foul mouthed but were were talking like adults at a bar.

Just maybe, a bar - even in Disney - isn't the best place for children. As KodiakKort mentioned, there are places to sit outside of Crocket's.

@StageTek Bingo! your experience is exactly where I was going with my comment. I think I would have tried to contain my tongue, but I'm not sure if I could have or not. Having just wasted 40 minutes of my life at the Post Office with 3 kids with competing electronic devices with ignorant parents I don't think I would have contained my comments ;)

I'm all about keeping kids out as well, but man, the examples listed are those of bad behavior exhibited by ignorant parents, not anything from the kids themselves.

I'm all about keeping kids out as well, but man, the examples listed are those of bad behavior exhibited by ignorant parents, not anything from the kids themselves.

and unfortunately kids learn from their parents, when we get drinks at any establishment, when ours were young, I'd get the drinks and the DW or I would remain outside with the kids.

It might be a good idea for someone to start a FW Etiquette thread before Reflections opens next door.

Tend to agree. But I am wondering if you went up to say anything to the parents of those stool squatting children during yoir experience, or did you provately fume about it and your post here is just your public service announcement?

Normally, I have issues with people displaying bar room behavior in front of children; however, I must agree with Stage Tek in this instance. Children should not be in bars.
There are so many perfect places in Disney for children; a bar isn’t one of them.

Tend to agree. But I am wondering if you went up to say anything to the parents of those stool squatting children during yoir experience, or did you provately fume about it and your post here is just your public service announcement?
Chances are, this would have caused a big scene and commotion; I imagine the parent bringing children in a bar is likely one to not want to hear any constructive criticism.

Chances are, this would have caused a big scene and commotion; I imagine the parent bringing children in a bar is likely one to not want to hear any constructive criticism.

Wow! That’s slightly presumptuous, lol. I live in Wisconsin. Many pubs/bars very similar to Crockett’s tavern will often have children sitting at a table, or even belly up to the bar (gasp!). We, of course, we do not sit at a crowded bar with our child, but yes she has sat in my lap at one before. I would be more than open to someone asking me to turn down her tablet if it were too loud. We aren’t rude, or discourteous. It’s just part of a normal part of life where we live. But, hey, we’re less judgemental maybe.

As a side note, I’d rather sit outside, so no you’ve never seen me sitting in there with my kid. It’s Florida. I’d rather enjoy the weather most days.

Kids/teenagers.. what is the cutoff?

I don't think anyone should just sit at a bar (crowded) and order nothing.. but if a kid is eating at the bar then i don't see the problem. I know my kids, on rare occasions, have ate at the bar.. while i stood beside them.. because it was crowded all around..

Kids/teenagers.. what is the cutoff?

I don't think anyone should just sit at a bar (crowded) and order nothing.. but if a kid is eating at the bar then i don't see the problem. I know my kids, on rare occasions, have ate at the bar.. while i stood beside them.. because it was crowded all around..

I tend to agree with this!

If Disney wants this to be an adult only area, it should be designated that way. If it is not, however, I don't see why a parent would be chastised for having their child in that location.

That said, the other two pieces of the OP should be an issue for ANY age...If you aren't partaking of the offered services of a restaurant or bar, don't take up space for those who might want to. And, if you are in a room with other people, the volume should not be on for any device - people don't want to listen to your movie/game/music.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter