Palo Tipping

We do $20 or $25 per person for brunch and $30 per per person for dinner depending on the service

I believe $60 for dinner makes sense because we base it on the cost of the meal if provided in a 5 star restaurant

We are generous with our brunch tip because my husband orders at least 5 items from the warm menu, he lives it up during brunch as it is his favorite activity on the cruise. Also we tend to do both brunch and dinner on one cruise so we don't want to "stiff" the waiter at brunch if we know we're going to see them again for dinner (we usually request them for dinner afterwards if they are good).

Our MDR server had our table of 6 plus a table of 9. So that's maybe 30 guests for the two sittings. So that's $120 per day at the recommended amount. If the Palo server gets $5.50 per guest then they would have to serve 22 guests per evening to equal. I don't think they do that many.

So they would rely on the extra tips. Of course, they probably do well on drink tips. But I'm assuming they do better overall since it seems like a promotion for them.

Good calculation, but then add the revenue those same diners are sending to the Asst Servers as well, another $90 so that's $210.

Palo servers possibly take care of 4-10 diners per Nite(?) and brunch is once/twice per cruise max so negligible. $210/8 = $26 per person, which seems a bit high. Figure $5.50 is coming from the Palo Resv, so perhaps $20 per diner, depending on drinks and quality of service (we have always found it amazing), seems appropriate. Ymmvary

More is always appreciated when justified, a bit less is probably ok too.

I can't believe we solved this.

Be aware: any alcohol on the tab has an automatic gratuity added to it already -- just like the bars onboard.

I have never dined at Palo, and I'm basing my numbers off of Connecticut restaurant prices, but we'd have a hard time finding a place that would cost $300 for two with alcohol excluded. Victoria and Albert's is certainly more than that (at $185 per person and up *without pairings) -- so I'm not saying that these restaurant prices are too high necessarily. I'm just having a hard time thinking that the food at Palo is on par with V&A or the better NYC restaurants where prices are in that range.

Am I wrong? Is the food at Palo really all that?? From what I've seen from the menus it just seems like a very nice restaurant. I've heard that Remy's is Michelin star quality, but Palo?

I'm not being snarky. I'm genuinely curious and a bit confused. To those with experience: where does Palo fall on the "Everyday food" ---> "Celebration dining" ---> "New York City business dinner" ---> "Michelin star" spectrum?

Last edited:
Be aware: any alcohol on the tab has an automatic gratuity added to it already -- just like the bars onboard.

I have never dined at Palo, and I'm basing my numbers off of Connecticut restaurant prices, but we'd have a hard time finding a place that would cost $300 for two with alcohol excluded. Victoria and Albert's is certainly more than that (at $185 per person and up *without pairings) -- so I'm not saying that these restaurant prices are too high necessarily. I'm just having a hard time thinking that the food at Palo is on par with V&A or the better NYC restaurants where prices are in that range.

Am I wrong? Is the food at Palo really all that?? From what I've seen from the menus it just seems like a very nice restaurant. I've heard that Remy's is Michelin star quality, but Palo?

I'm not being snarky. I'm genuinely curious and a bit confused. To those with experience: where does Palo fall on the "Everyday food" ---> "Celebration dining" ---> "New York City business dinner" ---> "Michelin star" spectrum?
You're not wrong. I've had $200 dinners (for 2) in DC that were nicer (sans alcohol) with exquisite tasting menus. Where I didn't have to serve myself the food for 2 of the courses. It's all perspective, of course. There is no chance I would pay $300 for Palo in the real world. The priciest US meal I've eaten was at the Inn at Little Washington, a 2-star Michelin restaurant, which is an *amazing* dining experience, and that's a little over $200pp; probably the priciest outside of the US was Tour d'Argent in Paris, which I think is 1-star Michelin. The disparity between the 2 Michelin dining experiences and Palo is quite large.

In our book, it's a "celebration dining" category.

$20 per day for your entire family of 5? Remember that the same CMs serving you dinner are also working in either the MDR or Cabanas for breakfast and lunch, and on CC. The $8 per person daily tip which goes to your serving team covers all 3 meals, not just dinner. Since the servers get paid very, very little outside of tips, I tip more than the suggested amount to the MDR team.

This. I also don't punish them because I choose to have dinner elsewhere. (Not saying you do @Maggie'sMom - that was the poster you quoted who implied that she does.)

Maggie'sMom: exactly,"Remember that the same CMs serving you dinner are also working in either the MDR or Cabanas for breakfast and lunch, and on CC." I notice them often behind the scenes during the length of the cruise or clearing tables in the area for brunch or out on the decks. You just have to look up once in a while. Many times they notice us first and will have a big smile on their face when they say hello!
I notice the response to your post from the poster you quoted and it would appear you did not convince them, surprise!!! surprise!!!

Dug720: This. "I also don't punish them because I choose to have dinner elsewhere." We also do not punish our servers for our choice to dine at either Palo or Remy. We have done both restaurants for dinners; on one cruise and still give our regular servers the DCL suggested amounts.

As to the original post, for brunch we tipped $20.00 and for dinner as low as $30.00 and up to $40.00.

I don't think it's as good as other fancy restaurants but I do think it would probably be around $250-$300 if you were to eat at a restaurant like Palo

I don't think it's as good as other fancy restaurants but I do think it would probably be around $250-$300 if you were to eat at a restaurant like Palo
Hmm. I guess I think of it to be pretty much exactly like the California Grill brunch, which is $80pp I believe. And since nothing at WDW is really a bargain compared to the real world, I would have priced it less than that at a non-Disney restaurant. I guess being adults-only adds some value.

Hmm. I guess I think of it to be pretty much exactly like the California Grill brunch, which is $80pp I believe. And since nothing at WDW is really a bargain compared to the real world, I would have priced it less than that at a non-Disney restaurant. I guess being adults-only adds some value.
My $250-$300 I was referring to was for the dinner... I think maybe brunch is equivalent to $40/person? I'm not sure how I'd price brunch, never been to the California Grill brunch but that sounds about right, it's more fancy and it's Disney so I can see it being $80pp

My $250-$300 I was referring to was for the dinner... I think maybe brunch is equivalent to $40/person? I'm not sure how I'd price brunch, never been to the California Grill brunch but that sounds about right, it's more fancy and it's Disney so I can see it being $80pp

Looks like the dinner pricing works out similarly to the brunch at California Grill. Choosing items on the high side of the menu: appetizer for ~$20, entree for ~$50, dessert ~$15 = $85 per person.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?restaurant.id=105#menu

That sounds like a reasonable comparison to me :)

So side note, had no idea California Grill had a brunch, is it anything like Palo Brunch? Just curious if it is worth the price or perhaps it is on the meal plan

Looks like the dinner pricing works out similarly to the brunch at California Grill. Choosing items on the high side of the menu: appetizer for ~$20, entree for ~$50, dessert ~$15 = $85 per person.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?restaurant.id=105#menu

That sounds like a reasonable comparison to me :)
I was straight-up comparing Cali Grill brunch to Palo b/c it's super similar to how they do it (order entrees but have self-serve for the rest, and get a cocktail), and fairly comparable in quality once you take into account the cuisine differences. I'm not sure I could keep it to $80pp for dinner there, myself, if I ordered whatever I wanted. That's the brunch bonus - getting everything you want for one set price, ha!

Phew, I was honestly worried that our perspective was way off and that would ought to have tipped way more for brunch! I was asking DH and we both thought we'd pay about $50pp max for a brunch like Palo at a non-Disney place, and only that b/c of the included 1 mimosa.

So side note, had no idea California Grill had a brunch, is it anything like Palo Brunch? Just curious if it is worth the price or perhaps it is on the meal plan
I haven't done Cali Grill's brunch (yet!) but it's on my to-do list. I actually first read about it from a blogger who compared it specifically to Palo a few months ago, so that's why it came to mind so quickly.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/contemporary-resort/california-grill/menus/brunch/

I got an answer back from DCL, but it's no particular help. They answered the question they wanted to answer and ignored my question.

The best I can get out of it is that, like the alcohol purchases, the auto-gratuity is already included. If we want to tip above what they consider the minimum tip level, that is up to us. Sounds like this is the equivalent of the auto-tip for MDR servers.

Same as was posted above:

Dear Aanna,

Thank you for choosing a Disney Cruise Line vacation!

I would be happy to assist you.

The cost per person to dine at Palo is $30.00. Of that amount, $5.50 is
distributed to the Palo Service Team and $24.50 goes directly into
maintaining the world-class experience in Palo. Guests are welcome to
leave an additional gratuity at their discretion.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further
assistance with any other inquiries, please feel free to contact us.

Andrea, we look forward to sailing with you, Saburo and Akira this
September!

Have a Magical Day!

Darlene
Email Communications Agent
Disney Cruise Line

Ah! I love the smell of cut and paste auto-answers in the morning....

Maggie'sMom: exactly,"Remember that the same CMs serving you dinner are also working in either the MDR or Cabanas for breakfast and lunch, and on CC." I notice them often behind the scenes during the length of the cruise or clearing tables in the area for brunch or out on the decks. You just have to look up once in a while. Many times they notice us first and will have a big smile on their face when they say hello!
I notice the response to your post from the poster you quoted and it would appear you did not convince them, surprise!!! surprise!!!
Dug720: This. "I also don't punish them because I choose to have dinner elsewhere." We also do not punish our servers for our choice to dine at either Palo or Remy. We have done both restaurants for dinners; on one cruise and still give our regular servers the DCL suggested amounts.

As to the original post, for brunch we tipped $20.00 and for dinner as low as $30.00 and up to $40.00.

Tipping is personal. Do as you see fit. Clearly there are those that tip big, some that "CLAIM" on message boards to tip big which I would bet are the most vocal about their "TIPS". I suppose for the few that actually tip big and like to give their money away then the servers is as good a cause as any I suppose. You make up for poor tippers like me. These servers and bartenders love to cry poverty and discusse being away from family etc.. it gets them bigger tips. Truth be told from my brother who is a Cast Member in Human Resources at Disney was with the cruise line for two years knew the inside well as he was responsible for the travel arrangements and accommodations for crew members. These servers all play the pity card with Americans. Most don't like you or your families but are so pressured to pretend that it comes off fake. Watch for it next time. You can see it. They joke about the families amoungst themselves. There is no shortage whatsoever for these jobs on the ships. I am not punishing the rotational dining staff when I tip less because I go to Palo one or two nights a cruise. I will not overtip based off a highly inflated meal price. The meals are good, in fact excellent if you consider the mass production but no where near $200 value for a family of five. Not even close. I don't work the servers hard. In fact we are very friendly but don't waste their time with small talk.

I agree California Grill is a good comparison for what Palo would cost on land. It definitely doesn't cost $250-$300 at Cali Grill for us, but we aren't ordering bottles of wine, just one or two glasses total. That makes a big difference in pricing.

I agree California Grill is a good comparison for what Palo would cost on land. It definitely doesn't cost $250-$300 at Cali Grill for us, but we aren't ordering bottles of wine, just one or two glasses total. That makes a big difference in pricing.

The wine tab should not count, anyway: Palo wine has an auto-gratuity. The only way to compare apples to apples is to only count the cost of food.

I always undertip the servers in rotational dining. Disney bases the tip off the overpriced value of the meal. There is no way on Gods earth I would pay $200 for the dining experience in rotational for my family of 5.
You are aware that the suggested gratuity is to cover all 3 meals? Not just dinner. Do you tip at all at places like, say, Denny's? How much would you tip there? For 3 meals a day.

You are aware that the suggested gratuity is to cover all 3 meals? Not just dinner. Do you tip at all at places like, say, Denny's? How much would you tip there? For 3 meals a day.

We eat our breakfast in Buffett. There is no server. We get our own drinks. Lunch is really just one of the fruit bars or the sandwich/wrap place. I tip well at Palo but the Rotational Dining I really don't tip based off the what they suggest. Refuse to. We are extremly easy to wait on and do not eat there every night. We still give about $200 or so. Basically if you feel that is not enough give a little extra next time for me. By the way if I went to Denny's and had good service I would tip 15-20% based off value of check. I tip based off the value of the meal and frankly it is not $50 a plate like Disney based the tip off of. :)

I'm just pointing out that the suggested tips are for 3 meals a day, not one. And the servers you have at dinner work the buffet for breakfast & lunch, as well as the quick serve food locations. Even though they don't "serve" you at the buffet, there are servers behind the tables, and clearing tables, and helping people. But I guess that's not enough service to say "thank you" for? And, the CM giving you your sandwich or wrap - those are the same servers from dinner. OK, so they didn't take your order (or, wait, they did - when you told them what you wanted). OK, they don't serve your drinks, or play games with your kids to keep them entertained, but they still are serving you. It's apparent you feel it's OK to penalize your dinner server because you choose not to dine in the dining room at night, but that's just not how the tipping "culture" on cruise ships is set up.

I should tip for you? Because you prefer to be cheap? I don't think so.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I tip based off the value of the meal and frankly it is not $50 a plate like Disney based the tip off of.
Where are you getting $50 a plate? Each person (on your reservation) has a suggested gratuity (to the dining room servers) in the amount of $8.00 a day.That breaks out to approximately, $2.66 for each person per meal per day.

If $2.66 is 15%, the tab would be around $15.00 for that meal. OK, I'll give you that's pretty pricey for breakfast, but lunch and dinner at a better than Denny's establishment could run that.

We take 2/3 of our meals in Cabanas and dine at Remy and Palo for two dinners. Based on that, lowering the suggested tip isn't out of the question (a buffet tip should naturally be less than a T.S. tip), but we don't. We would do it for poor service. This last cruise, half our party lowered the gratuity for server and asst server for that reason.

I'm not feeling the love for Disney servers right now. I definitely felt there was a downgrade in the dining rooms over five years ago. We didn't reduce gratuity because we wanted to clarify our concerns by leaving a detailed comment card.

Dirk

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter