Palo Tipping

I guess I am not typical here. I tip the Palo Servers based off the value of the meal. So typically$60 or so. I always undertip the servers in rotational dining. Disney bases the tip off the overpriced value of the meal. There is no way on Gods earth I would pay $200 for the dining experience in rotational for my family of 5. I have had many high end meals in my life and no way is rotational dining up to par. It is good and I enjoy the experience but base it off a $100 meal and pay $20 a day minus my Palo night. Just the way I do things. My Stateroom hosts appreciate the tip I give them.

When we asked, our server stated that the only income the get for working in Palo is the gratuity. He was outstanding. We were three couples and each couple tipped one service charge each.

Dirk

The guideline I heard was tip as you would if you were at a comparable restaurant on land. A comparable meal on land would cost well more than the $30 charged for Palo.
I've read this as well. However it doesn't help those of us who live in a different country - where restaurant prices may be different, and where there is no tipping.
We will be going to Palo for the 1st time when we become Platinum. I am now reading every 'tipping in Palo' thread to try to get an idea of what might be "expected".
I really wish there was a recommended amount from DCL.

I've read this as well. However it doesn't help those of us who live in a different country - where restaurant prices may be different, and where there is no tipping.
We will be going to Palo for the 1st time when we become Platinum. I am now reading every 'tipping in Palo' thread to try to get an idea of what might be "expected".

The guideline amount in the US is 15%-20% of the bill. How much a meal like Palo would cost in a restaurant on land would vary from location to location because some cities are just more expensive than others. But as I said, I feel like $15-$20 is an appropriate tip and I dine solo.

I have found that tipping conversations fall into the delicate category because everyone differs on how and why they tip. Going back to Palo, we leave $30 tip for our server.

I guess I am not typical here. I tip the Palo Servers based off the value of the meal. So typically$60 or so. I always undertip the servers in rotational dining. Disney bases the tip off the overpriced value of the meal. There is no way on Gods earth I would pay $200 for the dining experience in rotational for my family of 5. I have had many high end meals in my life and no way is rotational dining up to par. It is good and I enjoy the experience but base it off a $100 meal and pay $20 a day minus my Palo night. Just the way I do things. My Stateroom hosts appreciate the tip I give them.

$20 per day for your entire family of 5? Remember that the same CMs serving you dinner are also working in either the MDR or Cabanas for breakfast and lunch, and on CC. The $8 per person daily tip which goes to your serving team covers all 3 meals, not just dinner. Since the servers get paid very, very little outside of tips, I tip more than the suggested amount to the MDR team.

$20 per day for your entire family of 5? Remember that the same CMs serving you dinner are also working in either the MDR or Cabanas for breakfast and lunch, and on CC. The $8 per person daily tip which goes to your serving team covers all 3 meals, not just dinner. Since the servers get paid very, very little outside of tips, I tip more than the suggested amount to the MDR team.

This. I also don't punish them because I choose to have dinner elsewhere. (Not saying you do @Maggie'sMom - that was the poster you quoted who implied that she does.)

The guideline amount in the US is 15%-20% of the bill. How much a meal like Palo would cost in a restaurant on land would vary from location to location because some cities are just more expensive than others. But as I said, I feel like $15-$20 is an appropriate tip and I dine solo.
So would you also tip $15- $20 per person if you weren't dining solo? And do you tip the same for brunch?

I agree that would be super helpful for DCL just to point-blank add it on in a clear fashion. It's confusing to everyone, really, and I can see how it's even more confusing for non-Americans. It's baffling that they won't do that when they have set amounts for MDR servers, room stewards, and bar bills. 20% is my standard in US restaurants. I'm 39yo, and it's been the standard for a while, but in my youth 15% was the standard - which is why some people still tip 15%. So no matter what, you're going to read a range of suggestions. This information is only partially helpful to you, though, b/c the meal value will always be different depending on your perspective, as Maggie'sMom said!

I agree that would be super helpful for DCL just to point-blank add it on in a clear fashion. It's confusing to everyone, really, and I can see how it's even more confusing for non-Americans. It's baffling that they won't do that when they have set amounts for MDR servers, room stewards, and bar bills. 20% is my standard in US restaurants. I'm 39yo, and it's been the standard for a while, but in my youth 15% was the standard - which is why some people still tip 15%. So no matter what, you're going to read a range of suggestions. This information is only partially helpful to you, though, b/c the meal value will always be different depending on your perspective, as Maggie'sMom said!

It would be helpful... But people would still argue about it. Look at all the arguments about "just" leaving the set amount tip for servers and stateroom hosts. :/ ( Not even getting into the "You mean I have to pay that for my 6 month old????" posts.)

So would you also tip $15- $20 per person if you weren't dining solo? And do you tip the same for brunch?

I usually tip $15 for brunch and $20 for dinner, but if a brunch server is outstanding, I tip $20. If there were two of us, I might tip a little less per person. The server is coming to my table as often for just me as they would if there were two of us.

I usually tip $15 for brunch and $20 for dinner, but if a brunch server is outstanding, I tip $20. If there were two of us, I might tip a little less per person. The server is coming to my table as often for just me as they would if there were two of us.
This is really helpful, thank you :flower3:.

It would be helpful... But people would still argue about it. Look at all the arguments about "just" leaving the set amount tip for servers and stateroom hosts. :/ ( Not even getting into the "You mean I have to pay that for my 6 month old????" posts.)
True, ha! But if they did it like bar tabs, where it clearly states "x gratuity has been added" with a line for additional gratuity - then the server won't be stiffed, and people could still leave more, as many do for bar drinks. At least that would remove the confusion caused by all the conflicting stories!! Therein lies the big problem - people have heard so many different stories from servers, emails, etc at this point about what portion, if any, of the $30 is for tips. We have no clue who to believe! But a line on the receipt that notes the minimum appropriate tip has already been included = is clear as day.

Good for you.

When we asked, our server stated that the only income the get for working in Palo is the gratuity. He was outstanding. We were three couples and each couple tipped one service charge each.

Dirk

This sounds very... odd. I mean, I know the servers are not paid at US standard wages, but I've never heard of them only making what the get in tips. I wonder if there was a misunderstanding somewhere?

It sounds like all in all everyone is in the same ball park as far as the tips go in Palo.

This sounds very... odd. I mean, I know the servers are not paid at US standard wages, but I've never heard of them only making what the get in tips. I wonder if there was a misunderstanding somewhere?
I think so, too. I mean, only the best of the servers get to work in Palo and Remy, so they have to have *some* kind of base salary or gratuity guarantee. I guess they could make some sort of assumption that people will tip well, but I am sure plenty of people eat there and assume tip is covered in the $30, or that the $30 is itself a service fee - so that assumption is probably faulty. The only scenario that makes zero sense is that they get nothing out of the $30 and no base salary. And if somehow that were the case, I think we'd all be giving bigger tips!

Our MDR server had our table of 6 plus a table of 9. So that's maybe 30 guests for the two sittings. So that's $120 per day at the recommended amount. If the Palo server gets $5.50 per guest then they would have to serve 22 guests per evening to equal. I don't think they do that many.

So they would rely on the extra tips. Of course, they probably do well on drink tips. But I'm assuming they do better overall since it seems like a promotion for them.

Yep, you will get a lot of opinions and some very strong opinions at that. I usually tip either $15 or $20, depending on how good the service is. The guideline I heard was tip as you would if you were at a comparable restaurant on land. A comparable meal on land would cost well more than the $30 charged for Palo.
I recently asked disney how much of the Palo charge goes to the server and received this response:

"Thank you for contacting Disney Cruise Line!

I would be happy to assist you.

The cost per person to dine at Palo is $30.00. Of that amount, $5.50 is
distributed to the Palo Service Team and $24.50 goes directly into
maintaining the world-class experience in Palo.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further
assistance with any other inquiries, please feel free to contact us."

So it sounds like your server gets a small amount.

Palo service is always good, and I know the servers only usually have two tables at a time, so I usually give a $30 tip for the pair of us.

Thank you for this. This helps so much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter