Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and there was hardly 6 months warning (or even 1 month, or a week for some) when tiers were implemented, when legacy FP was removed from each park, when certain resorts went KTTW free, when offsite guests were set to book FP in advance, when the rolling FP began, and I’m sure I’m forgetting various major occurrences in the roll out. As guests we could not reliably plan trips around when things would happen. As guests we had no idea about the finer details about how/if things would happen, often until they did.

My point is, Disney has shown previously they don’t give extensive warning when major changes happen, and they can certainly happen within their own booking windows.

I've been going to WDW multiple times a year since before the implementation of
FP+ and I have never had Disney change the system in a way that forced me to alter existing plans or prevented me from making.and executing a strategy in advance. I have planned through all of the changes you mentioned without being adversely effected once. Maybe I was just lucky, or maybe it was just not that big of deal when they switched from plastic cards to magic bands so it didn't effect me.

When they started letting us book a fourth FP+ on our phone instead of at the kiosk they didn't give us 60 days notice, but that didn't alter my plans. When they have implemented tiering they didn't go and take away previous FP+s. When they changed tiers with the advent of pandora and toy story land those changes were annouced well in advance. They have already announced the SWGE rides wont initially have FP+ and we are well outside booking windows there as well. I'm just not sure what it is that they sprung on you in the past that kept you from planning.

I've toured with a minute by minute touring plan and I've toured with a few prebooked FP+s and a fly by the seat of my pants attitude and not run into problems.

I'm sorry to hear that it has been such a struggle for you.

I really hope that you are right. We are part of the group that planned for Labor Day week low-ish crowds, then THE announcement came. Well, ok, we are fairly big SW's fans and Disney veterans, we decided to stick with it and make the best of it. It will be exciting to be there for the opening week.

When I told DH that paid FPs were coming and possibly this year, he just about lost it. IF it comes to be that we have to pay for FPs on this trip, we will likely cancel. Things are ever changing, we know that and while we may not always like it, that's the way it is. We also understand that life's not a fair game. But to throw that kind of a change onto guests who already booked is not good business IMO.

Anyone have ideas about price points? I mean if the CL pilot program is any indication, no thank you for sure! $17 per FP , plus park admission-why not just go back to ticket books?
We will be there Labor Day weekend as well. Booked long before the announcement and are just going to roll with it. We are also huge SE fans, though, so if they offer some sort of paid FP or reservation system for GE, I would likely pay whatever it costs. For other rides that we’ve ridden dozens of times, I’m not sure where my price point would be but $17 per ride, per person for my family of 4 feels uncomfortable right now. We are AP and DVC so will always have an opportunity to go back. For those doing a once in a lifetime trip, though, I can understand the appeal.

Again - I don't think they are raising prices for "any reason" - it is to recoup investments from all the rides and lands and infrastructure they have been building. Do you think the Theme Park Fairies builds those things at night....? :-))))

As far as raising prices and less people going to the parks or lowering prices and more people go - following that theory: They should CHARGE MORE because the parks are WAAAY to crowded and will become more so when SWGE opens - so either Disney World is too cheap now or more price increases should be instituted to keep things under control! $$$

As far as the paid fast passes - I am sure there will be a combination of Free and optional paid - as I am sure we ALLL would love to have more fast passes - I am all for additional Fastpasses - even if I have to pay for them!

I will wave to you on the 90 minute wait line as I walk past you on the Fastpast line....(just kidding....having some fun!) :-)

Again - I don't think they are raising prices for "any reason" - it is to recoup investments from all the rides and lands and infrastructure they have been building. Do you think the Theme Park Fairies builds those things at night....? :-))))

As far as raising prices and less people going to the parks or lowering prices and more people go - following that theory: They should CHARGE MORE because the parks are WAAAY to crowded and will become more so when SWGE opens - so either Disney World is too cheap now or more price increases should be instituted to keep things under control! $$$

As far as the paid fast passes - I am sure there will be a combination of Free and optional paid - as I am sure we ALLL would love to have more fast passes - I am all for additional Fastpasses - even if I have to pay for them!

I will wave to you on the 90 minute wait line as I walk past you on the Fastpast line....(just kidding....having some fun!) :-)
What's not fun about someone who can afford extra fastpasses rubbing it in as they speed through the line? :smooth:

And Disney will have a windfall from increased attendance once the new things open. I doubt they need to charge for fastpass to make those new rides possible. Maintaining a 24% or greater margin in the parks might though.

Just got back from wdw. Almost all of the secondary FP touchpoints (at the merge point) were covered/ not being used.

Anyone in the know think/know if is linked to potential paid fp service? Maybe they are adding credit card readers :rolleyes1

I also noticed that fastpasses for many shows had 20 minute windows instead of 1hr.

Maybe they will shorten the redemption window or add some sort of skip the line completely type of fp where you get let in at the merge?

Another observation, apart from 7DMT, FoP, Frozen, and SDD there was plenty of same day availability for rides... even around midday even though there were heavy crowds. If disney starts charging for anything outside of these four i just dont see there being enough demand... When im waiting in line for a ride im not spending money on snacks and souvenirs... when i score a 4th 5th and 6th fp same day for free im in a much better mood and spend more money.

Just got back from wdw. Almost all of the secondary FP touchpoints (at the merge point) were covered/ not being used.

Anyone in the know think/know if is linked to potential paid fp service? Maybe they are adding credit card readers :rolleyes1

I also noticed that fastpasses for many shows had 20 minute windows instead of 1hr.

Maybe they will shorten the redemption window or add some sort of skip the line completely type of fp where you get let in at the merge?

Another observation, apart from 7DMT, FoP, Frozen, and SDD there was plenty of same day availability for rides... even around midday even though there were heavy crowds. If disney starts charging for anything outside of these four i just dont see there being enough demand... When im waiting in line for a ride im not spending money on snacks and souvenirs... when i score a 4th 5th and 6th fp same day for free im in a much better mood and spend more money.

I do find it disconcerting that the FP touch points were not in use/covered. I was sort of hoping to avoid any more changes for my Memorial Day trip and had sort of thought that I was almost in the clear... now I’m nervous again. Although maybe they are just doing some routine maintenance on them (hope springs eternal and all :)

At this point I just want to know what’s going on so I can plan properly. I’m spending time on my touring plan and I would hate to see it become useless if they make a substantial change right before (or during) my trip. Oh well, I guess the only thing I can do I stalk the boards and wait to see if any news hits.

I do find it disconcerting that the FP touch points were not in use/covered. I was sort of hoping to avoid any more changes for my Memorial Day trip and had sort of thought that I was almost in the clear... now I’m nervous again. Although maybe they are just doing some routine maintenance on them (hope springs eternal and all :)

At this point I just want to know what’s going on so I can plan properly. I’m spending time on my touring plan and I would hate to see it become useless if they make a substantial change right before (or during) my trip. Oh well, I guess the only thing I can do I stalk the boards and wait to see if any news hits.
The first checkpoints before entering the line are still in use like normal. Some of the second checkpoints were covered. This happens on a lot of less popular attractions. I did notice during the first week of April that the second checkpoints were covered on things like RNR, 7DMT, and Space Mountain, but it could have just been the time I day I was there. Disney was still using both on all Toy Story attractions and FEA for multiple days. It may have just been laziness, staffing costs, cutting down on wait times, etc. One day I went into MK during a peak time and there was no fingerprint required. Just tap your band/card and enter.

The second trap points come and go. Two years ago in May they seemed to always be covered. Last year some were being used some weren't. I wouldn't read anything into it.

They’ve been doing that for a long time on some rides. They cover them because they either don’t want to fix them or they are slowing down the fastpass line. And unfortunately, because of that, it encourages people without fastpasses to jump into that line since they don’t check (this is quite common on the safari). They pretty much only run the second touch point to verify you aren’t a line jumper.

Agreeing with others that the 2nd touchpoints have been on/off for years.
But also, most shows have always had 20 minute or so windows, as they typically have set show times.

The first checkpoints before entering the line are still in use like normal. Some of the second checkpoints were covered. This happens on a lot of less popular attractions. I did notice during the first week of April that the second checkpoints were covered on things like RNR, 7DMT, and Space Mountain, but it could have just been the time I day I was there. Disney was still using both on all Toy Story attractions and FEA for multiple days. It may have just been laziness, staffing costs, cutting down on wait times, etc. One day I went into MK during a peak time and there was no fingerprint required. Just tap your band/card and enter.

Interesting...I was also there first week of April and the second touchpoints were in use for all the rides you mentioned and more. I even commented to DH that I was pleasantly surprised to see so many operating. It must be really sporadic when they choose to use them.

Interesting...I was also there first week of April and the second touchpoints were in use for all the rides you mentioned and more. I even commented to DH that I was pleasantly surprised to see so many operating. It must be really sporadic when they choose to use them.
Nice to hear they were operational! I know these three in particular usually always have the second tap so I was shocked and took note when they were covered.

I think upper management tells them when they should and shouldn't be used. In my experience, if the standby queue is less than about 20 minutes they tend not to use them. Also, like the fingerprint scanners at the main gate, if there is too much of a backup in the FP queue they tend not to use them to keep the line moving faster and get it back to a manageable level quicker.

I think upper management tells them when they should and shouldn't be used. In my experience, if the standby queue is less than about 20 minutes they tend not to use them. Also, like the fingerprint scanners at the main gate, if there is too much of a backup in the FP queue they tend not to use them to keep the line moving faster and get it back to a manageable level quicker.
I have never seen them not use the finger print (not technically a print but takes an outline) scanners at the gate. Not saying they might do that from time to time but I think that is a lot less likely as it is a security feature.

I have never seen them not use the finger print (not technically a print but takes an outline) scanners at the gate. Not saying they might do that from time to time but I think that is a lot less likely as it is a security feature.

I’ve seen it least a half dozen times. Usually in the mornings, but a couple times during the evening.

I’ve seen it least a half dozen times. Usually in the mornings, but a couple times during the evening.

It’s not often but I’ve seen it as well. When they want to move people in quicker, it’s just a touch and go, no fingerprint. So basically a green light as long as there is a valid ticket.

Getting rid of the ability to get "4th" FPs would totally alter the way my family Disney's. And not in a good way.

I would love to pay for 10 anytime FP a day. That would be exciting... But this won't be that... In contrast, I never did the CLFPs (despite several CL stays while the program was around) because it was too inflexible.

If they are going to change FP+ entirely, why not move to MaxPass? That is, IMO, a near perfect system (though honestly I have not used it, haha, but watched many videos and read a bunch about it in preparation for a DL trip).

Yes, I agree. We took full advantage of MaxPass on our last DLR trip and loved that, and it wasn’t very expensive at $10 per person per day. (Although it was just my husband and I, so if we were having to pay for a family of 4 or more per day that could add up very quickly!) But it doesn’t sound like a MaxPass type system is what WDW will do, and that’s pretty frustrating! It feels like a big free bonus is being taken away, and that never feels good. :(

It happened four times on our last trip, twice at Animal Kingdom, once at EPCOT and once at Magic Kingdom. In all cases it was when the lines were exceptionally long.

Yeah, that was my experience too during that same first week of April. Space Mountain had the second touch point on both days we visited. So did BTMRR, Slinky, TSMM, FoP. Trying to remember which other one. Certainly were a few.

Any more news about paid FPs.... wasn't there supposed to be an announcement around May 1? Any more rumors or leaks from "those in the know?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter