• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Owners: would you recommend DVC right now?

I think it’s all relative. I would recommend it as I still think there is value to be had for families who prefer deluxe WDW hotels or more space. We bought in back in late 2019 so the prices were comparable to what they are now. Do I wish we had bought in back when we first casually started considering DVC? Yes. But we didn’t because our kids were then very young (both under 3) and we didn’t know we would be coming back as much as we did. As we found ourselves coming back every 12-18 months, it started to make a bit more sense but we held off because we were still uncertain and I was hesitant for us to make that financial commitment when we only had one income. We finally took the plunge a few years later. We added on this summer because we can’t imagine taking our young children out of the country right now like we used to do pre-pandemic.

DVC is not an investment for us. We view it as pre-paying our accommodations and, even at direct prices, it made sense for us. And that’s good enough for me. I don’t expect anything else. If I get it (like Gold APs), great. If not, no big deal.

We’ve had a few trips since Covid hit and have no complaints. We appreciate the space and full kitchen. I would never pay out of pocket for things like a 2 bedroom lake view at VGF. DVC makes that possible for us.

If someone is looking for a way to pre-pay their lodging and looking for more space while staying onsite, it makes sense in my opinion. If anyone is looking for an “investment”, I probably wouldn’t recommend it.

YMMV.

Last edited:
I think it’s all relative. I would recommend it as I still think there is value to be had for families who prefer deluxe WDW hotels or more space. We bought in back in late 2019 so the prices were comparable to what they are now. Do I wish we had bought in back when we first casually considering DVC? Yes. But we didn’t because our kids were then very young (both under 3) and we didn’t know we would be coming back as much as we did. As we found ourselves coming back every 12-18 months, it started to make a bit more sense but we held off because we were still uncertain and I was hesitant for us to make that financial commitment when we only had one income. We finally took the plunge a few years later. We added on this summer because we can’t imagine taking our young children out of the country right now like we used to do pre-pandemic.

DVC is not an investment for us. We view it as pre-paying our accommodations and, even at direct prices, it made sense for us. And that’s good enough for me. I don’t expect anything else. If I get it (like Gold APs), great. If not, no big deal.

We’ve had a few trips since Covid hit and have no complaints. We appreciate the space and full kitchen. I would never pay out of pocket for things like a 2 bedroom lake view at VGF. DVC makes that possible for us.

If someone is looking for a way to pre-pay their lodging and looking for more space while staying onsite, it makes sense in my opinion. If anyone is looking for an “investment”, I probably wouldn’t recommend it.

YMMV.

I agree with almost everything you said. Almost. I do expect something else...Cash side quality customer service when booking or modifying. Any other perks are just gravy. I've not encountered any issues....yet but then we've only been 1 time since covid and won't be back until fall 2022. I'm expecting to have to call or have issues at some point when booking or modifying our plans. Time will tell if DVC cleans up their act or gets worse.

I agree with almost everything you said. Almost. I do expect something else...Cash side quality customer service when booking or modifying. Any other perks are just gravy. I've not encountered any issues....yet but then we've only been 1 time since covid and won't be back until fall 2022. I'm expecting to have to call or have issues at some point when booking or modifying our plans. Time will tell if DVC cleans up their act or gets worse.
I hope your experiences are similar to ours. We’ve had no issues booking or modifying online. When I’ve had to call in for things (combining multiple reservations for the same room type at the same resort into one, using transferred points at 11 months), I’ve had no issues. Every call thus far has gone smoothly so I have no complaints on the customer service side. I understand that others may not have had those experiences and I don’t discount their frustrations.

DVC is still a good value when compared to Disney hotel prices. We had to book a cash stay for food and wine marathon weekend and a standard view AKL hotel room is costing me $1900 (tax included) for three nights. Same room on DVC was 42 points. Where the bigger gap is happening is staying offsite versus on site. Offsite rooms can be had fairly cheap so it becomes a question of is staying onsite worth that cost to you.

We have 3 young kids and travel almost exclusively to Disneyland as we live in CA. We bought resale points at VGC and some at Aulani. There are quite a few off property hotels within walking distance, however we knew we wanted to be on property and paying cash at the Grand Californian would never be an option for us as a family of 5. Even a family suite at an off property hotel will run around $325 give or take. DVC allows us to stay in a deluxe hotel, with a washer/dryer/full kitchen (total win for those of us with young kids), at a price we can afford. It also guarantees we'll be back, so our trips are more relaxed. Looking forward to more perks returning (Moonlight Magic!) as staffing increases and Disney figures out how to operate under current circumstances.

I have fallen out of love with the Disney company and its direction of "Profits reign supreme."

But I still love the parks, the resorts, and especially Hilton Head. I want more points mainly for HH.

if you want to go to Disney at least every other year and stay deluxe then I would recommend. I grew up in a DVC family. My parents bought in 2005 and paid like 80 per point for beach club. They considered in 1999 and didn’t, and they regretted waiting the 6 years. I bought my first contract at 25 in 2018, added on a second in 2019, and i am thinking about adding on a third (all small and all direct). I go to Disney 3 times a year and know I want to continue vacationing to Disney. I actually booked two nights cash at AKL and it’s costing 1,000 (which brought on my desire to add on). Prices just keep going up, so I know in another few years they will just be more expensive. I also have never had to stay at a resort I dislike. I find a lot of things available at 7 months out, or my wait lists usually come through, and I travel during busy times (summers, rundisney weekends, and holidays).

DVC is still a good value when compared to Disney hotel prices. We had to book a cash stay for food and wine marathon weekend and a standard view AKL hotel room is costing me $1900 (tax included) for three nights. Same room on DVC was 42 points. Where the bigger gap is happening is staying offsite versus on site. Offsite rooms can be had fairly cheap so it becomes a question of is staying onsite worth that cost to you.
Yes, this. A spring break weekend stay at POR a few years ago got the ball rolling for me, DVC purchase wise. And now Coronado, with its new tower, like it or not, is in the $300 range all the time, and these are not "villa" type rooms, nice though they may be. I like the moderates a lot, but DVC will catch up to them in value if you hang on to it for like 12 years (give or take and depending on purchase price and other variables).

I just bought 200 points at RR at 180 a point …
it is my 6th contract i now have almost 800 points SSR 315, BLT 250, RR 200

even if i own for a few years and resell i will be well ahead of the game

yes I ran out of 2021 points (March use year) and booked two nights cash at AKL value studio and if’s costing me $1,000. I actually added on a second contract yesterday. I couldn’t afford to come as frequently and stay deluxe without DVC

There's so many great off-site options close by at a fraction of the cost. When you consider that there are very few on-site perks these days, DVC is becoming a hard sell.

If the evening extra hours end up doing well (all attractions with minimal waits) and the dates and parks become more frequent, then that could go a long way in nudging towards DVC

There's so many great off-site options close by at a fraction of the cost. When you consider that there are very few on-site perks these days, DVC is becoming a hard sell.

If the evening extra hours end up doing well (all attractions with minimal waits) and the dates and parks become more frequent, then that could go a long way in nudging towards DVC
Off site versus on site is really the biggest difference. To me they are kinda different experiences because Disney does a great job when you are in their bubble of making you feel like you are separate from the “real world”. Offsite takes that away, and to me is somewhat of a bummer. But clearly that “bubble” comes at a huge huge cost and one that the gap is growing at all times. It’s hard to say on-site is “worth” it just by numbers, it’s more of an experience thing than anything else. Neither option is the “wrong” one of that makes sense.

Off site versus on site is really the biggest difference. To me they are kinda different experiences because Disney does a great job when you are in their bubble of making you feel like you are separate from the “real world”. Offsite takes that away, and to me is somewhat of a bummer. But clearly that “bubble” comes at a huge huge cost and one that the gap is growing at all times. It’s hard to say on-site is “worth” it just by numbers, it’s more of an experience thing than anything else. Neither option is the “wrong” one of that makes sense.
Honestly I think the "bubble" thing is very overrated these days. Some of the options I'm referring to aren't even off property technically. It's not a hassle at all to get to the parks from nearby resorts and villas with the exception of MK.

Another thing playing into that for me is that the Disney bus system used to be a positive for us. The last few years (including 2 weeks ago) it's been awful to the point where we would never get caught in the "bubble" without a car. The bus is just a non-option for us these days. It's no longer reliable.

I think over the past decade the bubble has been popped. There's just no advantage worth paying that premium anymore aside from having monorail/walking access to MK. That's what keeps us invested into DVC, but not everyone cares about that.

The bubble is less and less attractive.

There are a few years where on site beats off site for one reason - the ability to let teens run on their own schedules. For DVCers whose kids grew up taking Disney buses, getting around the parks and to and from the resort is easy.

Back entrance Epcot and quick walk to Hollywood Studios = awesome 😎. Don’t knock it until you try it! But yah….it’s so hard to travel these days.
Nothing can beat Boardwalk and Beach Club. Now I can see SSR compared to offsite and how small the difference in experience is. But an adults only trip during food and wine at beach/boardwalk is nothing short of amazing.

Back entrance Epcot and quick walk to Hollywood Studios = awesome 😎. Don’t knock it until you try it! But yah….it’s so hard to travel these days.

Own BWV, have been doing it for 20 years. But a few years ago I was on a business trip and stayed offsite with a rental car. Parking was far less bother than I remember it being (it was the first time I stayed offsite since the mid 1980s) and the resort was nicer - and the food options offsite are better with far lower price points.

True. I like having a car and eating off site. Very convenient and a food trade off. That’s where I’ve been all these years (except a few All Star stays) but just recently tried the Boardwalk thing for the first time and appreciate it!!! Can’t wait to do it again. Value is super subjective and fickle for me.

Own BWV, have been doing it for 20 years. But a few years ago I was on a business trip and stayed offsite with a rental car. Parking was far less bother than I remember it being (it was the first time I stayed offsite since the mid 1980s) and the resort was nicer - and the food options offsite are better with far lower price points.

I agree with this.

Being able to walk to HS and EPCOT from BWV/BCV is really awesome, but the alternative of driving your vehicle and parking is really pretty painless at both of those parks right now. Because of that, it's a tougher sell for me versus someone whose trips are more MK-centric

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter