Our thread for the Minnie!

That sounds great! I think we have a plan. (cause you know us DISers always like to have a plan :) )

Mel - DH and I will definitely be there. We love Earl of Sandwich.

My room is booked! I will be staying at the Boardwalk Villas on Saturday night. This makes is feel much more real! It will be here before we know it!

Christy

Hi all. I've been following this thread because I have just signed up for the Minnie and am so excited to finally get to do a run through WDW! So far I can only go about 30 minutes without dying so I hope I can make it through!! But I was wondering about some of the stuff I've read---someone mentioned pictures. Do you bring a camera with you? disposable? I have done races before in college but they were shorter and over much quicker. Anything I need to be thinking about as far as clothing, bringing with me???.... Also for those that have done the 1/2 how do you feel afterwards? Do you just want to crash? or will I feel like doing the parks the rest of the day with my family? I know everyone is different but I'm trying to get a feel for things. Thanks! Also what are the Donald and Goofy medals people are talking about? How did you get them?

Welcome DebM. Easy questions first- Donald is the finisher's medal for the half marathon, mickey for the full marathon, and goofy is for the, you guessed it, people goofy enough to do both.
As far as whether you will feel up to touring parks afterwards, that in part depends on 2 things- your physical readiness going into it and how hard you push. I often feel a bit wiped for a couple hours after a long run but I did a 13 miler last weekend and felt great so you never know. Chances are you'll be somewhat tired and may want to stay off your feet so it might be a good idea to plan a hotel rather than park day.
Camera- I didn't carry one for the full but I was suffering under the delusion that I was going to be running for time. Got sick the week before, got hurt, and stung by a bee during the race- not a good pace but I would still do it all over again.
Clothes- weather.com has this custom weather page feature where you can put in dates and events and it gives the average weather for that date and location up until it is close enough to give a real forecast. So long answer to short question, it will likely be somewhere in the vicinity of the ave high of 87 and low of 64. For me, that is shorts and a short sleeve/sleeveless race top type weather. wicking fabrics such as coolmax, drylete, etc are key. Many people have gotten good workout clothes at a reasonable price at Target.
Hope this helps you.

Yes, that helps!! Thanks so much!!

I am hoping to increase to 5 miles tomorrow---on the treadmill though. Our temps just dropped 40 degrees today after a thunderstorm so it is now in the 20's!!! BRRRR!!!

OK---I have another question. Of course I've been to WDW many times but you don't pay attention to "hills" until you are running up them!! How hilly is the 15K course? If anything I'm thinking just a teeny bit--more like "small bumps" ---nothing like I have here in Illinois. I know Epcot is not hilly, but in between parks what is it like? Thanks!! BTW I made 5 miles today and didn't have to walk at all. It was on the treadmill since it is freezing outside but I still felt a huge accomplishment since the farthest I've done is 4---and that hasn't been too many times. The lady next to me did 10 though!!!!! I can't imagine yet!

Its a pretty flat course. The biggest hill we had for the 1/2 was the "Contemporary Hill" and the off ramps to Epcot. I think this course is the last bit of the full so maybe others can answer better, but it is considered a flat course.

Cograts on the 5 miles. :thumbsup2 That's awesome!

Did I see something about a Kitchen Sink meet for after the Minnie? We would certainly be up for that. How many would be interested?

I really haven't been pursuing the shirt thing since Liz is working on her really cool penguin shirts, but looks like those wouldn't be 'official' until April, which might be too late for us in early May. I noticed the 5K and 1 mile have a red theme, so I'm wondering if a lot of people will be wearing red for the 15K too. I think I'm going to just plan to wear my WISH shirt unless everyone's interested in doing something specific for Minnie. What do y'all think?

Hi, guys! Sorry I have been MIA. Well, Rhonda and I have finalized a lot of our plans -- we are staying at Saratoga Springs and will take advantage of the spa for a pedicure after the 15K. Fun! A meet at DTD on Saturday sounds great and I have been looking forward to trying EoS. Very cool. As Rhonda noted above, we got a great deal on a rental car so if anyone is staying at SSR and needs a ride to the start of the 15K, send me a PM and Rhonda or I will coordinate with you.

I am still working on what to wear for the Minnie. Hoping to be a smaller size by then so that I won't feel like I need to hide inside an oversized tee shirt with bike shorts. I am definitely thinking dri-fit or coolmax clothes are going to be critical for that morning, though, due to heat and humidity.

We have been to WDW in early May the last few years. It is very hot & humid. So yes, Cam, they less you can wear the better. I am prob going to wear a singlet w/shorts.

WOOOHOOO....I have officially registered for the Minnie...now what??? :rotfl:

I am new to this whole process...what should I do now..how should I start training???? Is this correct...you would have to walk(or run) at a pace of 4 miles an hour to not be swept...what about potty breaks???? Thanks for any help!! I am sooooo excited!! :hyper: :hyper:

Ummm...I might kinda have a little problem with the Minnie weekend. DD13's last band concert of the year is now scheduled for May 6 at 2pm. We'll still be able to make it for the race on Sun, but won't be in town yet for the EoS meet. :sad:

I wonder if anyone will be in town on Friday? I'll be driving up alone that morning to pick up our packets. I'll have to go back home that afternoon, but if anyone wants to meet for lunch or at the Expo, I'd love that!

If I don't get to see anyone before the race, I'll be wearing my WISH shirt so I'll be easy to spot ;) I got iron-on letters at Wal-Mart and now have Chimera on the front and Mel on the back :thumbsup2

Disfan...many of us have trained with John Bingham's Marathoning for Mortals book for the half/full marathons. I'm using his half marathon training schedule for the Minnie, but only up to the week of the 8 mile LR. You can take potty breaks, just have to be sure that you keep up the pace requirement. Congrats on registering! :banana: We'll see you there!

I started exercising about 4 weeks ago. I am signed up for the Minnie 15k (to get my behind in gear).

Anyway, I tried to run about a week ago on our TM and I could only run about .15 miles and almost died. I did keep walking at approx. a 3.8 pace for 3+ miles though.

So, today I am scheduled to do 2 miles of running per my training schedule. I decide I am going to try to run at least a bit so I can get under 30 mins. (15 min / mile requirement). Well, I could only run at 4.8 for about .1 miles. I walked the rest anywhere from 3.6 - 4.0 (our TM stinks and fluctuates easily). I did 2 miles in 31:23.

I feel like a total failure and that there is no way I am going to not be swept. I mean, I have to keep up a 4.0+ for 9+ miles for for goodness sake!

DH keeps telling me that running on a TM is alot harder than running outside, but I don't quite believe him. I keep thinking he's just trying to make me feel better. I also have asthma and I know the cold air in the basement while I am running doesn't help. I still think running a max. of .15 miles is pretty darn pathetic!

Please tell me it gets better!!! :worried:

Kristi-stop being so hard on yourself. I agree with DH. I did most of my training for the 1/2 outside. There were a couple of times I had to use the dreadmill because of weather. I hate it! I cannot go nearly as fast on it. Outside I can walk 13-14 min mile. On the TM to get less than 15 min mile it tough and to get anywhere near 14, I have to be running. Try doing some intervals. When I first started, running even 30 seconds was tough. Just build up run a little, walk a little. You have to find intervals that are good for you.
Good luck!!!!! Don't give up! :cheer2:

Kristi1357 said:
I started exercising about 4 weeks ago. I am signed up for the Minnie 15k (to get my behind in gear).

Anyway, I tried to run about a week ago on our TM and I could only run about .15 miles and almost died. I did keep walking at approx. a 3.8 pace for 3+ miles though.

So, today I am scheduled to do 2 miles of running per my training schedule. I decide I am going to try to run at least a bit so I can get under 30 mins. (15 min / mile requirement). Well, I could only run at 4.8 for about .1 miles. I walked the rest anywhere from 3.6 - 4.0 (our TM stinks and fluctuates easily). I did 2 miles in 31:23.

I feel like a total failure and that there is no way I am going to not be swept. I mean, I have to keep up a 4.0+ for 9+ miles for for goodness sake!

DH keeps telling me that running on a TM is alot harder than running outside, but I don't quite believe him. I keep thinking he's just trying to make me feel better. I also have asthma and I know the cold air in the basement while I am running doesn't help. I still think running a max. of .15 miles is pretty darn pathetic!

Kristi...I am having the same problem. I cannot for the life of me get 1 mile within the 15 minute time period(on a TM) But outside I notice that I can def. do 1 mile faster. On the TM it takes me like 19 minutes to do a mile but outside, I can do a mile in 16 minutes, so there is a big difference. I cannot wait for the weather to get a little warmer so I can do some major training.

So as Tif said, don't be so hard on yourself, you will get it. There is still about 9 weeks left. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup2

Kristi1357 said:
It does get better!!! I pretty much exclusively run on a treadmill, by choice, year-round. It is definitely a different experience. Slow and steady is what you need. Give yourself time and you'll be amazed at the results. You can do it!! :banana:

Thanks guys! :goodvibes I really needed your encouragement!

I'll wait until I can do some walking / running outside to panic! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter