Our interesting FP+ experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
The irony is lost on people who are saying how incompetent Disney IT is and then trying to think they any specifics about the FP+ system correct.

Too funny

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? :confused3

Wow. The OP was simply relating an experience about the FP+ system, and others were simply noting interest in some of the details in the system test. Rather than worry about how long people have been on the DIS, how much knowledge they have about FP+ rumors, how others might complain about Disney's technological incompetence at times, it would be advisable to read the OP's post as a (I thought interesting) relation of an actual experience with the FP+, even though it was a live test that shouldn't have been.

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? :confused3

Wow. The OP was simply relating an experience about the FP+ system, and others were simply noting interest in some of the details in the system test. Rather than worry about how long people have been on the DIS, how much knowledge they have about FP+ rumors, how others might complain about Disney's technological incompetence at times, it would be advisable to read the OP's post as a (I thought interesting) relation of an actual experience with the FP+, even though it was a live test that shouldn't have been.

^^this :thumbsup2

I found the OP post interesting and helpful to get an idea of how the FP+ might work considering all the speculation out there.

The OP never indicated that they thought they were due anything, but I think, mentioned it as an example of how Disney often exceeds a guest's expectations with a little Pixie Dust.

The OP has been a member of the DIS since 2011. In her reported discussion with CMs, she demonstrated a knowledge of how FP+ were purported to work. Did the OP really think that the FP+ was fully operational and that they would be able to pull FP+?

I could buy your position more if a guest that had zero idea of FP+ went and was able to do this.

The OP wasnt inconvenienced in any way. There was no "making it right" necessary.
Given that there has been oodles of discussion on these boards that FP+ could be rolled out any day and that we might not have any forewarning, it would surprise me if any DISer didn't check the app right before a trip to see if FP+ was up and running and to preschedule FP+s if able to do so.

It would almost surprise me more if a guest saw that FP+ was up and running on the app, but then assumed that it wasn't available at the parks. I suspect that most would preschedule their FPs and expect to be able to access the FP queue with their RFID ticket.

Given that there has been oodles of discussion on these boards that FP+ could be rolled out any day and that we might not have any forewarning, it would surprise me if any DISer didn't check the app right before a trip to see if FP+ was up and running and to preschedule FP+s if able to do so.

It would almost surprise me more if a guest saw that FP+ was up and running on the app, but then assumed that it wasn't available at the parks. I suspect that most would preschedule their FPs and expect to be able to access the FP queue with their RFID ticket.

Honestly, if you, yourself had the same thing happen to you would you really believe that the FP+ system was fully operational or would you suspect there was some sort of testing going on?

Do you really think they are just going to roll this thing out unannounced? I could see them doing some beta testing with a preselected group but cant see them just opening it up to the general public with no warning. People on the DIS would be screaming if they didnt know this in advance and someone other than them had an advantage they werent aware of

UNCFanatik said:
It is not about what the CM knew, it was about the OP having some knowledge that the FP+ system had not been rolled out yet because of reading about it on the DIS. I can certainly understand the OP's curiosity and trip to guest services to inquire about the system though.

The CM did not give the FPs, the IT person did.

Again, I would buy and support your argument if a person had zero previous knowledge about the whole FP+ system going in.

If I were playing around with the app on my IPhone and I was somehow able to reserve FP+, I wouldnt automatically assume that the system was fully functional or in some sort of "soft opening" mode. I would think that it was a glitch at this stage and I would definitely check it out before altering my plans in any way. AND, when I went to Guest Services and they confirmed my suspicions then I would not feel in any way that Disney some how needed to make me whole.

I can see it now, everyone will be trying to do this now and getting upset if they dont get the same treatment for any future startup glitches with the system.

Why would you assume it was a glitch? If it was live on the system, regardless of whether or not it was accidental, why wouldn't the OP think it was actually live for the general public?

Why would you assume it was a glitch? If it was live on the system, regardless of whether or not it was accidental, why wouldn't the OP think it was actually live for the general public?

Agreed. It's Disney that was at fault for having the test go live to the public for that short time. It's not guests' responsibility to assume what they're seeing with their own eyes on the app is erroneous information, or to spend vacation time checking out disboards to see if there's supposed to be a rollout of FP+ or not.

I think the OP was wise, though, to go to guest services and make sure that those FP+'s were valid, only to find out they were not.

But I think the IT CM did well to give the OP traditional FPs to make up for that time spent in guest services and to alleviate any possible dashed expectations, which I think would have been valid on the OP's part, though the OP showed no indication of it.

Even though it was a faux pas by Disney to allow the testing to go live and public like that for a short time, it's still interesting to read this glimpse into what FP+ may well look like, once bugs are fixed. Just because Disney's IT staff has shown incompetence at times does not mean FP+ won't eventually work well (though some may not like the idea that much). They've had IT issues for a long time, but I think the traditional FP system has worked well, and it was groundbreaking stuff when it first came out.

I really don't understand why anyone needs to question the motive of the OP. :confused3 OP did not indicate any undue expectations of having those FP+'s honored after it was revealed the public test was a mistake, nor did OP indicate any expectations of any kind of traditional FP remuneration for the trouble. OP only indicated that it was given. I have no way of knowing the OP's motives or actions while actually there; I can only read the OP's post, and in no way did that post read as expecting something that wasn't due.

Agreed. It's Disney that was at fault for having the test go live to the public for that short time. It's not guests' responsibility to assume what they're seeing with their own eyes on the app is erroneous information, or to spend vacation time checking out disboards to see if there's supposed to be a rollout of FP+ or not.

I think the OP was wise, though, to go to guest services and make sure that those FP+'s were valid, only to find out they were not.

But I think the IT CM did well to give the OP traditional FPs to make up for that time spent in guest services and to alleviate any possible dashed expectations, which I think would have been valid on the OP's part, though the OP showed no indication of it.

Even though it was a faux pas by Disney to allow the testing to go live and public like that for a short time, it's still interesting to read this glimpse into what FP+ may well look like, once bugs are fixed. Just because Disney's IT staff has shown incompetence at times does not mean FP+ won't eventually work well (though some may not like the idea that much). They've had IT issues for a long time, but I think the traditional FP system has worked well, and it was groundbreaking stuff when it first came out.

I really don't understand why anyone needs to question the motive of the OP. :confused3 OP did not indicate any undue expectations of having those FP+'s honored after it was revealed the public test was a mistake, nor did OP indicate any expectations of any kind of traditional FP remuneration for the trouble. OP only indicated that it was given. I have no way of knowing the OP's motives or actions while actually there; I can only read the OP's post, and in no way did that post read as expecting something that wasn't due.

:thumbsup2

Thanks OP for relaying your experience! :goodvibes

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 Exactly!!
Thank you OP for sharing your experience with the mysterious FP+ :goodvibes

If you go through and read the entire patent information that is linked to a DIS blog post (at the top of the page), all of this makes sense.

The patent reads like Disney is trying to create an optimized touring plan for everyone, one that reduces congestion in high traffic walkways, and evenly distributes guests around the park. The patent wording made it sound like you wouldn't be able to choose your own times (or you would be discouraged from doing so, and it would be more difficult), because Disney wants to control where you are, and at what times.

The patent does specifically mention tiers though, so who knows! :confused3

Honestly, if you, yourself had the same thing happen to you would you really believe that the FP+ system was fully operational or would you suspect there was some sort of testing going on?
Of course I would, just like the OP did. MM+/FP+ has been announced. They stated that it's going to go live soon. Why wouldn't the ability to preschedule FPs be a signal that it was live for some group that the company has me in?

That is the very definition of a soft opening.

And someone has to be first.

I agree someone has to be first. But it makes zero sense that anyone would think they would just randomly make the app fully functional and roll the dice on any users actually stumbling upon this.

This isnt like a soft opening for a ride or restaurant. Apples and oranges.

Of course I would, just like the OP did. MM+/FP+ has been announced. They stated that it's going to go live soon. Why wouldn't the ability to preschedule FPs be a signal that it was live for some group that the company has me in?

So you would equate to them stating it would go live soon to some random unannounced turning up of the system?

And if one were put into some kind of beta test group, Disney would reach out to you and notify you because they need feedback.

UNC is just upset that someone got a handful of FP's because they didn't have to work for them. Just do a search of this poster here on the DIS and you will see it's not worth your time to debate anything with them. Apparently both the OP and the IT CM were wrong. Leave it at that folks. Trust me.

:dance3:

So you would equate to them stating it would go live soon to some random unannounced turning up of the system?
The combination of the knowledge that it will 'go live soon' and the app allowing FPs to be prescheduled would send the signal that the future is now.

And if one were put into some kind of beta test group, Disney would reach out to you and notify you because they need feedback.

I never mentioned beta testing. That was you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter