Other Options...

Thank you for the info. We met with our "we want to go to Galapagos" friends last night to compare companies. The consensus was that everyone wants to do Macchu Picchu the same trip. So much to look at!

I just got back from a very last minute trip to Amsterdam (with a day trip to Brussels). I had the absolute best time and would (and will) do it again in a heartbeat.

I stayed in the DePijp area at the Sir Albert -- it's clean, contemporary and a 2 min walk to the subway (bookable on Marriott points or FNCs) for 6 nights. Not sure if I'd recommend the hotel but that's more because of several service hiccups; if the price is right I will stay again because I loved the location and it's not expensive. Took the train early one morning to Brussels and back at 7:00pm.

I was able to see so much; public transport in Amsterdam is extremely efficient (subway and tram). So many museums (buy museum card if you go). Highly recommend the MOCO (Museum of Contemporary Art) and Van Gogh Museum, I also loved Museum Our Lord in the Attic and the Portguese Synagogue (which is stunning). I didn't try for Anne Frank House because I've been before and knew the likelihood of last minute tickets was close to nil. Took a bus to Keukenhof Gardens for a half day visit (on the day it opened for the first time in 2 years!); no tulips yet (first week of May), but plenty of gorgeous flowers and Japanese cherry blossoms in full bloom. Walk into any cheese decent cheese store (I went to De Kaaskamer in the Nine Streets) and they will give you samples of all kinds of cheeses, plus they ship to N. America (I got back on Monday and my cheese arrived on Thursday). Definitely try Dutch pancakes -- I went to Amsterdam Pancakes and highly recommend it. Food from grocery stores is quite good -- I would often grab a fresh juice for lunch (so many different blends and all were delicious).

Next year I will fly to Amsterdam, train to Brussels for 1 night, then train to Paris for 5 nights and fly home. I am hooked on solo travel. I honestly don't know when or if I will use an organized tour again. So much freedom with solo travel and public transport in most parts of Europe is fast, efficient and very cost-effective. I did not miss being led around town and kept on a schedule.

One of my favorite parts of the trip was a chocolate making workshop in Brussels -- so much fun and learned a lot. After the workshop I was walking to the Grand Place and stumbled upon a vintage shop. I scored a Burberry trench and black Longchamp Le Pliage for 200 euros (for both). The trench is stunning -- I'm obsessed with it (cost new is 1,350 euros).

If anyone is thinking of a trip to Europe on your own, don't think about it, just do it! I am already planning my solo trip next spring. Heading to London, Edinburgh and Dublin with dd a month from today and can't wait for that trip!

Sir Albert Bathroom & Bedroom

Sir Albert Amsterdam Shower 2022.jpegSir Albert Room Amsterdam 2022.jpeg

MOCO
MOCO Iron Rocking Horse Amsterdam 2022.jpeg

Keukenhof Gardens Japanese cherry blossoms.jpeg

To " WDW" Groupie

Well done in enjoying your trip to Amsterdam & Brussels

. We will be flying , from Cork to Amsterdam and on to family ,after Easter. so we will have a car.

for sightseeing

For your next trip to Amsterdam look up The Fletcher Hotel " Group & The Logis Hotel chain .

Now How did you find the way of paying for things ( Credit Cards )different in Europe ?

How did you pay for train tickets & entrance to Keukenhof Gardens ?

Was it by Chip & Pin or Swipe your card ?

I ask as we only have Chip & Pin & now Tap your card for small amounts

Cheques are gone & " swiping " your card has not been used for ages

To " WDW" Groupie

Well done in enjoying your trip to Amsterdam & Brussels

. We will be flying , from Cork to Amsterdam and on to family ,after Easter. so we will have a car.

for sightseeing

For your next trip to Amsterdam look up The Fletcher Hotel " Group & The Logis Hotel chain .

Now How did you find the way of paying for things ( Credit Cards )different in Europe ?

How did you pay for train tickets & entrance to Keukenhof Gardens ?

Was it by Chip & Pin or Swipe your card ?

I ask as we only have Chip & Pin & now Tap your card for small amounts

Cheques are gone & " swiping " your card has not been used for ages
The Fletcher Hotel looks to be quite far outside of the city center, so without a car it would not work, at least not for me.

I used tap for most of my transactions, the odd time I had to insert my cc, but it was never a problem without a pin.

Have a great trip!

Wondering if anyone has any experience with youth / teen group travel? My DS 15 is interested in doing a group trip this summer. Our older DS did a service/cultural immersion trip with a Canadian organization pre-pandemic, but they have since ceased operations for a variety of reasons. We have looked at Travel For Teens but it is hard to find much info online. All reviews are glowing, which makes me a little nervous 😬 Obviously our first priority is safety, and supervision is critical - we are not looking for a party experience. Any advice appreciated!

Wondering if anyone has any experience with youth / teen group travel? My DS 15 is interested in doing a group trip this summer. Our older DS did a service/cultural immersion trip with a Canadian organization pre-pandemic, but they have since ceased operations for a variety of reasons. We have looked at Travel For Teens but it is hard to find much info online. All reviews are glowing, which makes me a little nervous 😬 Obviously our first priority is safety, and supervision is critical - we are not looking for a party experience. Any advice appreciated!
We know 2 families whose kids have done Moondance, maybe check that out.

I was hoping to get some input on Italy. We have done 2 ABDs - Costa Rica and Italy - Rome, Florence, and Venice. My DH wants to do another Italy trip for my DDs high school graduation. Looking at Italy - Amalfi itineraries for Summer 23. Just saw the Sicily trip, that would work, too. I am torn between Tauck and ABD. I feel like ABD is a known for us; but I have some concerns – tour numbers, age skewing young and not having older kids, cancellations (as ABD seems to be canceling more than others). My concerns with Tauck are – skewing too old, 1 guide vs. 2, cost (the three we were looking at are all significantly more expensive than ABD), and not having the pixie dust. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

I was hoping to get some input on Italy. We have done 2 ABDs - Costa Rica and Italy - Rome, Florence, and Venice. My DH wants to do another Italy trip for my DDs high school graduation. Looking at Italy - Amalfi itineraries for Summer 23. Just saw the Sicily trip, that would work, too. I am torn between Tauck and ABD. I feel like ABD is a known for us; but I have some concerns – tour numbers, age skewing young and not having older kids, cancellations (as ABD seems to be canceling more than others). My concerns with Tauck are – skewing too old, 1 guide vs. 2, cost (the three we were looking at are all significantly more expensive than ABD), and not having the pixie dust. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!
In regards to your concern about skewing too old, have you been looking at Tauck Bridges trips? Those are Tauck's Family trips, and it sounds like that's more what you are looking for.

Sayhello

In regards to your concern about skewing too old, have you been looking at Tauck Bridges trips? Those are Tauck's Family trips, and it sounds like that's more what you are looking for.

Sayhello
The only family trip the have is the Rome to Venice which we have already done with ABD. They other trips we were looking at were all listed as Classic Land Journeys.

We did Venice, Florence and Rome through Tauck and thought it was wonderful! Highly recommend. When we booked, the agent told us what the ages of the other young adults were. My kids were 16 and 19 at the time, we went in July, when school was out, and there were several families. It was perfect.

The only family trip the have is the Rome to Venice which we have already done with ABD. They other trips we were looking at were all listed as Classic Land Journeys.
We’re doing the Rome/Sorrento trip with Tauck Bridges next month. May be too repetitive, but perhaps another option.

For those looking at the Galapagos, seriously look into Celebrity Cruiseline’s Galapagos itinerary. We just came back from The Celebrity Flora’s Inner loop and have booked the Outer Loop for spring 2024. It is all inclusive with multiple excursion options every day. We snorkeled once or twice most days. There are 3 different ships with the Flora being the larges. There are wonderful naturalists for every 10 guests. Kids over 6 are welcome but the ship has little of interest for young kids. There were 2 or 3 teenagers on our trip and nobody younger. We did the pre and Quito tour. You fly into Quito where you stay at the JW Marriott. The following day you or Quito and the Equator museum. The next day you travel from Quito to the Galapagos on a chartered flight. After the Galapagos you fly back to Quito. The great thing we found was that Celebrity took care of everything - required testing, all paperwork. We did not do the Pachu Picu add on but stayed 2 nights in Quito. Next time I’d stay only 1 night in Quito or do Macy Picu. I compare the trip very favorably to all of the ABD trips I’ve done. I did a blog of our trip on Squarespace.

Also, for anyone doing the Rhine River starting or ending in Basel , take the train to Lucerne for the day. You will not be disappointed.

DH just saw this advertised, and it sounds awesome. https://www.rssc.com/cruises/VOY231003/summary Just wondering whether anyone has done a trip with Regent. We have been anxious to get to Turkey and Jerusalem so this sounded like a lovely way of doing it. If anyone is familiar with the areas this cruise goes to, I'd love to hear opinions as well. I think we'd look into doing the post-trip as well. We've done the Greece ABD so we have been to Athens and Santorini.

DH just saw this advertised, and it sounds awesome. https://www.rssc.com/cruises/VOY231003/summary Just wondering whether anyone has done a trip with Regent. We have been anxious to get to Turkey and Jerusalem so this sounded like a lovely way of doing it. If anyone is familiar with the areas this cruise goes to, I'd love to hear opinions as well. I think we'd look into doing the post-trip as well. We've done the Greece ABD so we have been to Athens and Santorini.
Of the list, I've only been to Athens, Santorini and Jerusalem. Jerusalem is, of course, fascinating.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter