Opinions! Does It Still Make Sense To Buy? (Resale)

Considering that after I joined DVC, I knew that I would never book a cash reservation ever again. It hit me that I love WDW and I am not willing to force myself to stay somewhere I don't want to over the next 23 years or so in my favorite place on earth. For me, that's why it was worth it to buy BWV over some of the cheaper resorts with longer contracts. DVC is meant to supplement my ability to enjoy WDW, not hinder it :)

Are you ready to put the effort required to switch at 7 months?
While during fall frenzy it's true very little inventory arrives empty at 7 months, that is not true for most of the rest of the year (a part from a few holidays and race week ends). It's not impossible to switch to a Crescent lake or a MK resort. I've had quite a bit of success switching at 7 months and occasionally I've also got some unicorns like AKV Value (twice), BWV standard (twice) and BLT standard (once). But categories like BWV garden and BLT lake are really not that difficult to get at 7 months.
But you need some dedication to accomplish good results. You need to study historical trends to plan for the right time of the year (if you need, like me, to book flights earlier than 7 months), monitor availability in the days leading to the reservation to choose a good stay, be online right when reservations open (which might mean waking up in the middle of the night, depending on where you live), be ready to stalk the booking tool and play the waitlist game.

Ultimately, I think everyone is different and it's so hard to say whether it's worth it or not when there are so many factors involved. When do you travel? How often do you want to go? What kind of unit do you want? How many do you travel with? How much money do you have to play with? What's the current Canada/USA exchange rate?

I've realized after reading through all these comments that ultimately, the only thing that matters is what we're comfortable with. Value is subjective. What's worth $30,000 to one person may not be to another. It makes for an interesting discussion though so I've enjoyed the conversation and thoughts of all who've shared :)

Ultimately, I think everyone is different and it's so hard to say whether it's worth it or not when there are so many factors involved. When do you travel? How often do you want to go? What kind of unit do you want? How many do you travel with? How much money do you have to play with? What's the current Canada/USA exchange rate?

I've realized after reading through all these comments that ultimately, the only thing that matters is what we're comfortable with. Value is subjective. What's worth $30,000 to one person may not be to another. It makes for an interesting discussion though so I've enjoyed the conversation and thoughts of all who've shared :)

I am just glad to hear that you can afford either BWV or AKL, it's just comes down to what makes sense to you. You are right, just do what's comfortable to you, and what you value most. The biggest advice that I think many agree with is don't spend with borrowed money, DVC is a luxury / expensive product that ends up causing you to spend more money into the Disney company. Why there are always going to be certain arguments where financing makes sense and okay to do, I still subscribed to the camp that says don't finance a timeshare purchase!!!

I am just glad to hear that you can afford either BWV or AKL, it's just comes down to what makes sense to you. You are right, just do what's comfortable to you, and what you value most. The biggest advice that I think many agree with is don't spend with borrowed money, DVC is a luxury / expensive product that ends up causing you to spend more money into the Disney company. Why there are always going to be certain arguments where financing makes sense and okay to do, I still subscribed to the camp that says don't finance a timeshare purchase!!!

Thanks! And 100% agree. It makes no sense to borrow to buy. We aren't the kind of people who like to have ANY debt as it is!

You make a fair point. I guess I shouldn't have said we couldn't 'afford' that BCV contract. We could. But we can't stomach spending that kind of MONEY on it. We live in Vancouver, Canada, which is one of the most expensive cities in the world. We do Disney every OTHER year and use the alternate to travel elsewhere. We dont want $30,000 tied up there, but we'd be fine with $20,000.

Greeting from Victoria. Good luck with your decision.

My husband and I fully intended to buy DVC in the next year or two. Now we're really struggling with the new resale rule of not being able to book into the new Resorts. Maybe we'd never WANT to stay at the new Resorts, but it also brings down the value if we ever wanted to sell ourselves. Throw in the fact that some of the contracts will begin expiring in just over 20 years and booking at 7 months out is getting harder at anything but you're home Resort and I seriously wonder...

Will we continue to go to Disney? 100% yes, but perhaps it's better to just rent?? Thoughts?
I don't think it's a big deal if the system makes sense otherwise assuming you understand what you are and are not getting and it's a value to you. And if it brings down the value (which I doubt will be the case $$$ wise) then it could be a blessing because you could buy in more cheaply. But it might reduce resale options/value down the road if one does end up needing to sell later, we'll see.

My husband and I fully intended to buy DVC in the next year or two. Now we're really struggling with the new resale rule of not being able to book into the new Resorts. Maybe we'd never WANT to stay at the new Resorts, but it also brings down the value if we ever wanted to sell ourselves. Throw in the fact that some of the contracts will begin expiring in just over 20 years and booking at 7 months out is getting harder at anything but you're home Resort and I seriously wonder...

Will we continue to go to Disney? 100% yes, but perhaps it's better to just rent?? Thoughts?

I think the Legacy 14 resorts (L14 or O14) are going to hold their value quite well. I think you might want to take a look at this thread:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/f...ding-vs-buying-selling.3745779/#post-60521919

Now, will you miss out on something by not being able to reserve into Riviera or Reflections or whatever other future resorts they have? Possible. But, on the other hand, some people who purchase Riviera in the future, ESPECIALLY PEOPLE WHO PURCHASE IT ON RESALE (so they don't have the right to go anywhere else) MIGHT be willing at some point to swap reservations or trade you points, straight up: their Riviera points, so you can get a reservation there, for your Animal Kingdom or whatever points, so they can have your 11 month access to your home resort. Transfer of points could do it, if Disney allows you, but even easier would be if you could each agree to just make reservations for each other. (You might want to get to know some Riviera owners on a personal basis, and cultivate that relationship.) In any case, there are several ways around restrictions on Resale buyers using Riviera, if people really want to do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter