Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report *update 2/23-We're Going Back!*

Phil's Piece:
Hahaha, isn't that always the way? I especially love it when you call someone to find their location and you can actually hear their phone ringing.

The photos in there are brutally tough. I think your photo is fine. Nothing's as cool as seeing it in person anyway.

Judi's Piece:

That's really fascinating about the orange peels and where the flavour comes from. I had no idea. Thank you for the great review of the Grand Marnier Tasting. It's so amazing all the little "events" Disney has to offer.

Dinner at the Kona is fantastic!

Yeah, we really enjoyed it. It was our first time and we will definitely go back. I like that you have a wide variety of options, especially with being able to order form the Sushi bar (and being able to get the bread pudding from 'Ohana)

Wow! I didn't know there was a Grand Marnier tasting/presentation. It looks like a lot of fun and very interesting. I had no idea that a mimosa originally included Grand Marnier. I am totally going to try that! :thumbsup2

Judi and her mom definitely enjoyed it - especially being able to try the different types of Grand Marnier - we had only had the regular kind. We have done a lot of wine and beer tastings, but the Tequila and Grand Marnier ones were new for us - lots of fun, and we learned something :thumbsup2

Thanks Judi for the great Grand Marnier review! Any class that starts with a mimosa is great in my book! I learned something about the ripening of oranges and the green peel as well. Crepes Suzette and a bag of swag what's not to love with that? :thumbsup2

Great job Phil getting the TiW card to Judi since every $6.15 adds up. :upsidedow It's ironic that two of the restaurants that made an appearance in your update were two of our firsts this trip.

I will thank Judi - thanks for your comment. Yeah, any event that starts with a mimosa, has a flaming dessert, and provides a goodie bag - I mean, that's a pretty good start to having a good time ;)

I am determined to get my value out of that AP and TIW (heck, probably will pull me to book another trip down to WDW within the next 12 months) so I was determined to get in there once I heard that is where she was :rotfl:

Just like a Brooklyn Hipster, happy to be ironic ;)

Phil's Piece:
Hahaha, isn't that always the way? I especially love it when you call someone to find their location and you can actually hear their phone ringing.

The photos in there are brutally tough. I think your photo is fine. Nothing's as cool as seeing it in person anyway.

Judi's Piece:

That's really fascinating about the orange peels and where the flavour comes from. I had no idea. Thank you for the great review of the Grand Marnier Tasting. It's so amazing all the little "events" Disney has to offer.

:lmao: yeah, we've definitely had times where we are on the phone with each other trying to find each other when one of us finally says "look up" and is like 10 feet away waving at the other.

Yeah, definitely tough to get good photos in there - plus we were in the middle of paying the bill and stuff so I tried to go fast. Oh well, I think everyone can imagine where we were.

Love these types of events and why we love going during Food & Wine Festival time. If we do go another time definitely will try to do other "events" be it the Chef's table at Flying Fish or a Wishes cruise or something like that

Day 2 - Part 5: EPCOT ... McNamee Adventures - Kidcot and Off Kilter​

After I took Judi and her mom over to the Grand Marnier event, it was decided that the rest of us would split up. The McNamees were pretty sure this would be their only day in EPCOT and Tara wanted to do the Perry adventures so they wanted to get in what they could.

So the rest of this update covers their afternoon in EPCOT.

So the McNamee clan (Bridget Mike Tara Owen) broke off from the Schoens for lunch and stopped at La Cantina de San Angel
Mexico in Mexico in EPCOT.

We enjoyed and shared a platter of nachos (taco beef, cheese sour cream, tomatoes and guacamole) and cheese empanadas with guacamole sauce. I got a Frozen Mango Margarita, which after several hours in the Florida sun was quite delicious and refreshing :) and Bridget got a Jarrito Pinaapple soda.

Nachos: corn tortilla chips with ground beef, nacho cheese, fresh tomatoes, jalapenos, black beans, and sour cream
99319ed765.jpg

Empanadas de Queso: fresh corn masa (dough) filled with Chihuahua cheese topped with green sauce served with corn tortilla chips
5a6393d477.jpg

author's note: pretty sure Mike borrowed the above images from the interwebs

We had a lovely break by the water. While I waited on line to order and get the food, Bridget took the kids and snagged a table, probably the best spot there was. The humidity had dropped at that point and the breeze was refreshing. We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch.

0670ecb415.jpg
d6ef5b65c3.jpg

We then traversed Mexico and China on Agent P's World Showcase Adventure. Tara had a lot of fun with that - getting to activate the secret items and bringing them to life.

738a41ee24.jpg
4b6e6dec30.jpg

We then doubled back to Norway to ride the Maelstrom which we all enjoyed. The wait wasn’t bad, 15 minutes, which was pretty accurate.

09e0943f8a.jpg

author's note: Back, back - over the falls!

We stopped and saw the fife and drums in America while we enjoyed an ice cream break, Itzakadoozies (huge layered fruit ice pops) all around!

1902e3d667.jpg

We had made the decision that we would only do EPCOT for one day, so we decided to make our way “around the world” to Canada.

ca9ae6d7b0.jpg

The kids did a Kid Cot craft and the parents took a break.

5ac2547154.jpg
a6994a989f.jpg

We stopped in England and got a photo op and autograph from Alice as well along the way.

author's note: mention of a photo op, but not photo provided. Just sayin' .... carry on.

We made it to Canada and took a seat to watch Off Kilter, a great Celtic Rock band. I’ll let the pictures speak for the kids.

824449122b.jpg
d184de77d6.jpg

After that we started to make our way out of the park, but first made a stop at Coca-Cola's Ice Station Cool for some free soda (ice cold and free, excellent for the end of the day went you’re parched and tired). Mandatory Family Photo Pass picture was then taken and then we decided to go for a ride Spaceship Earth before leaving the park.

3ca1163a53.jpg

Joining in! Enjoying your trip report so far! Saw that you flew out from our favorite airport - DCA! I love the airport because from gate to home it only takes 45 minutes. :cool1:

Our DD loves Akershus although we will be skipping it for our trip in January. We're going for CRT instead.

Can't wait to read more!

OK Phil, so two updates in a row written for you. Pretty good deal you got going on here. :lmao:

Hmmmmm, I think see Germany subbing in for Norway. :scratchin

Sounds like a great trip 'round the world!!! :cool1:

I can't wait to hear more!

Thanks! Hope to get a couple up over the weekend - some good ones coming up!

Joining in! Enjoying your trip report so far! Saw that you flew out from our favorite airport - DCA! I love the airport because from gate to home it only takes 45 minutes. :cool1:

Our DD loves Akershus although we will be skipping it for our trip in January. We're going for CRT instead.

Can't wait to read more!

Enjoy CRT! - we debated that for this past trip, but ultimately decided to go the cheaper route but we hope to get there at some point

OK Phil, so two updates in a row written for you. Pretty good deal you got going on here. :lmao:

Hmmmmm, I think see Germany subbing in for Norway. :scratchin

Sounds like a great trip 'round the world!!! :cool1:

Well, guess in addition to getting people to write the reviews for me I need someone to fact check them :lmao:

Promise that I will be doing the next few so any errors I will not be able to blame on others.

I think the McNamees enjoyed their day in EPCOT a lot. We wound up having our real trip around the world later in the trip

Ha ha! I was going to say the same thing as Rob. I was thinking well, there's a fountain in Germany but I doubt a boat can fit in that. Ok, so the pictures were swapped, makes your TR that much more exciting like find what's wrong with this post! :p

I have to say that the CS food at La Cantina look pretty appealing. And although I'm no fan of cheese goo, the nachos don't look bad.

What a fun Epcot time! The food at the Mexico CS actually looks pretty tasty - I can't handle that weird "cheese" liquid, but the empanadas look delish!!!

We missed out on the Agent P missions this last trip, but I love reading about them - can't wait try them one day.

I need to take another family with us so that I can get someone else to write some of my updates…….. :rolleyes1

Getting caught up...

I've never eaten at San Angel because we're not huge fans of Mexican food, but that view sure is something.

As a law-abiding 20-year-old, I can't speak much to the cocktails, but those pastries look gooooood.

I love Agent P! I didn't get to do it on this last trip unfortunately but the year before I did several of the missions.

Ha ha! I was going to say the same thing as Rob. I was thinking well, there's a fountain in Germany but I doubt a boat can fit in that. Ok, so the pictures were swapped, makes your TR that much more exciting like find what's wrong with this post! :p

I have to say that the CS food at La Cantina look pretty appealing. And although I'm no fan of cheese goo, the nachos don't look bad.

between tracking how many princesses we've met, how much I'vs saved with AP/TIW, and now tracking what pictures are mis-used, there is quite a lot of homework for you, my faithful readers. They should make this TR part of the new common core curriculum.

I didn't eat there but the food at La Cantina does look good. I appreciate Disney trying to up the game on QS type places - with La Cantina, the new Spice restaurant in Morocco, lunch at BOG, and the new lounge at the Hollywood Brown Derby.

What a fun Epcot time! The food at the Mexico CS actually looks pretty tasty - I can't handle that weird "cheese" liquid, but the empanadas look delish!!!

We missed out on the Agent P missions this last trip, but I love reading about them - can't wait try them one day.

I need to take another family with us so that I can get someone else to write some of my updates…….. :rolleyes1

We saw a bunch of people doing the Agent P missions - especially in the Mexico pavilion - that one looked fun, though pretty noticeable to everyone else inside there.

For the record, the only part of the TR I won't write is the parts I wasn't there for - with 10 people we had to split up at times .... but hey, if you can swing bringing a scribe with you for your next trip, go for it :lmao:

Getting caught up...

I've never eaten at San Angel because we're not huge fans of Mexican food, but that view sure is something.

As a law-abiding 20-year-old, I can't speak much to the cocktails, but those pastries look gooooood.

I love Agent P! I didn't get to do it on this last trip unfortunately but the year before I did several of the missions.

They definitely lucked out with the seats at San Angel Inn as well as at La Cantina.

I would think that the Grand Marnier tasting wouldn't be the best value if you weren't 21/don't drink. Judi really liked the meringue tart dessert.

I love that they have things like Agent P at EPCOT, the Sorcerers at Magic Kingdom and the Wilderness Explorers at Animal Kingdom!

I don't drink at all and both the tequila lunch and the Grand Marnier thing both sound so cool! What a fun, unique experience!

I love the picture of Olivia waving to everyone as they get on the ride. Stuff like that melts my heart.

Hoping to catch Off Kilter when I go. In 106 loooong days.

Day 2 - Part 6: EPCOT ... Imagine your future!​

ok, so back to an update that I have entirely produced ....

... anyone still here? ok, good.

So while the McNamees were exploring EPCOT and after having dropped Judi and her mom of for some cocktails, I made my way back to Mexico via the long route in hopes of grabbing a beer as it was quite hot out. Unfortunately the lines at all the booths were still ridiculously long so I just marched on and met Bob outside of Mexico with the kids. Kids who were getting a little cranky and indicated they wanted to go back to the resort. As that was not possible with Judi and her mom in their session we were eventually able to get them to agree to ride some rides.

So off we went back towards Future World. This picture gives you an idea of the size of the crowds that day. Up on the right is the Argentina booth and the line for it is so long the end is off the edge of the picture.

e4132c2b1d.jpg

Olivia wanted to ride Journey Into Imagination with Figment. I hadn't ridden the current incarnation of the ride but I remembered enjoying the original version with the Dreamfinder as a boy - so much so that on one trip I selected a stuffed Figment as my souvenir - so, while I know this isn't the most popular attraction, I was looking forward to experiencing it with my kids.

And besides, how could something inspired by these guys possibly have a downside?

2926d7f4f6.jpg

Overall we enjoyed the ride - nothing amazing, but it was cute. Only negative was towards the end when there is a loud boom, the lights go out, and then when they come back and we are in crazy Figment land with the Monty Python moon face Olivia kinda freaked out.

We also enjoyed the activities they have in the post-ride area, especially the Melody Maker:

bdeabd45c1.jpg

Next we wanted to ride Spaceship Earth but we first had to convince Olivia to ride. See, she must have been under the impression that it was the Norwegians who built the journey through the advancements in human communication as she didn't want to go as she "doesn't like trolls!". Once we convinced her that all the trolls were back on the Maelstrom we were off.

We enjoyed our ride - I especially love the scene at the top of the geodesic sphere where you see the Earth from afar. We also enjoyed the post-show attractions here as well. And not to brag, but we created enough energy to power a city the size of Cairo:

c784e50c5e.jpg

Also, again, not to brag, but if that system is accurate at all, my future sounds awesome!

0afa86b12e.jpg

After their F&WF event Judi and her mom met us in the Project Tomorrow post-ride area. At this point, given the crowds we decided it was best to leave EPCOT and go somewhere else. As we weren't scheduled to visit the Magic Kindgom for several days into our stay and that just seemed, well, kinda wrong, we decided to catch a ride on the Express Highway In the Sky and head there.

That definitely turned out to be a good decision - but that is a tale for another day .... to be continued

Journey shut down early when we were there last so we missed it. Haven't ridden it since I was a kid but didn't realize it had changed. Will have to check it out next trip as chugged or not my daughter will love it.

Haha, I almost feel like I'm hearing the "Meanwhile back at the Hall of Justice" voice as this update runs pretty much concurrently with the last couple. :rotfl2:

That's pretty much the same description of Journey Into Imagination for me too Phil. It is cute but that's about it. And the Eric Idle Moon face is pretty terrifying. I'm with Olivia on that one.

Yes, waiting too long to visit MK is just wrong. Glad you are in the process of fixing that!! :thumbsup2

I completely agree with Olivia's feelings about trolls and especially those on Maelstrom. Not sure how that's suppose to boost tourism for Norway! :rotfl:

I have mixed feelings about Journey into Imagination mainly because I wish they would do more with it and Figment. Our kids still love the attraction but the post ride area just looks so bare.

Anytime is a good time to park hop to MK! Can't wait to hear what happens next!

oooooooops i posted a comment on the wrong TR! Guess thats what I get for having so many open to creep on at once! lol still gotta go read yours before I make any other comments!

Those are some crazy lines at the food booths. Was Argentina even one of the more popular food booths? I can't imagine what it would be for the Australian line for the shrimp. :rolleyes:

While not a huge Figment fan I do love the interactive activities at the end. Perhaps I didn't grow up with the attraction and know what it was all about.... I still just imagine Monty Python when I think of Journey into Imagination,

Glad you were able to convince Olivia that SE didn't have any of those evil trolls.... only those wooly mammoths being attacked by early man. A child pleaser for sure! :thumbsup2 I agree, the earth projected at the end of the ride is perfectly done for that location in the ride when you care at the epicenter of the dome.

This is great! I'm joining in, and really enjoying your TR so far. I have a princess-obsessed 2.5-year-old, and we have a mission to meet all 11 princesses during our January trip (well, 12, if you count Sofia, which we do). ;)

Somehow I fell behind. Bad me!

Man, that entire members of your party being present thing will get you every time. We hustled over to Via Napoli in July, and we had slow poke and slow pokier behind us. I was worried we would lose the reservation, and they wouldn't check us in either. I'm glad you didn't have to wait too much longer to get checked in.

I was actually going to comment that those potatoes looked super yummy. I'm glad to hear that they lived up to their picture's reputation.

Awww, Peter does the fist-bump blow up?! Joaquin used to do that when he wasn't even 2 years old too!

Tequila lunch? Sold!

I didn't have anything to actually say about that meal, because I was just reading and drooling all over my laptop. It looked incredible!

Wow, that's interesting that mimosas were made with Grand Marnier as an extra ingredient. And I am also for extra booze in my booze.

I was a huge fan of Figment back in the day too, with my own stuffed Figment that I picked out. And I still have him. :lmao: Today's incarnation is just as you described it. It's cute. Nothing fantastic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter