Oogie Boogie Bash – A Disney Halloween Party 2024

Yikes. I haven’t been keeping up with the news. I didn’t realize HM would be using VQ this year. Good luck everyone. The VQ for Trom at WDW last year about killed me.
The VQ for HM should (theoretically) be different from the norm. There won't be LLs - it's VQ only.

The 7am pull should go quickly, but the 1pm should be open for a while on an average day. Unlike Tron or Guardians (Epcot), HM is a high capacity attraction, and all of it will be available for the VQ.

The VQ for HM should (theoretically) be different from the norm. There won't be LLs - it's VQ only.
For me, that makes it worse. I much prefer purchasing an ILL instead of fooling with the 7am/1pm VQ nonsense.

Additionally, with ILL we have the ability to ride things like Tron twice in one day. VQ only (with no stand by line) limits us to one ride per day. What a jip!

For me, that makes it worse. I much prefer purchasing an ILL instead of fooling with the 7am/1pm VQ nonsense.

Additionally, with ILL we have the ability to ride things like Tron twice in one day. VQ only (with no stand by line) limits us to one ride per day. What a jip!
Honestly, the other option is for the ride to be closed until the queue is finished.

Given the size of the ride's capacity and the lack of LL - there's a decent chance that everyone in the park will be able to ride it once in any given day, and not have to wait a spectacularly long time in line (if the VQ runs the way I suspect it will).

I can't really see that as a jip - if it's done correctly, it might be even one of the most fair things the park has ever done.

I'm curious to see how the VQ will actually operate - how many people they can get through it in one day. I do kinda wonder what happens if they run through all of the VQ registrants in a given day - if they might do a late-day drop that would give people a second chance to ride. (Seems unlikely, but I'm curious.)

I can't really see that as a jip -
It’s a jip to me because I would have happily paid for ILL to either avoid the VQ hassle or ride a second time during the day. For those of us who are not local, eliminating the ability to almost guarantee a ride through ILL purchase is a total jip. We can’t just try again the following weekend.

It’s a jip to me because I would have happily paid for ILL to either avoid the VQ hassle or ride a second time during the day. For those of us who are not local, eliminating the ability to almost guarantee a ride through ILL purchase is a total jip. We can’t just try again the following weekend.

And if they made HMH a ride you had to pay $25 to ride one time, a whole lot of other people would be furious about that. That is a very high capacity ride, and ILL would be an even more blatant money grab than Genie+ and regular LLs are. This is a no-win situation for however long it takes to get the new physical queue open.

I get that it's unfortunate that it has to be this way currently, but hopefully everyone will get the chance to ride it at least once if they want to. Like others have said, HM/HMH is a much higher capacity ride than others that have used the VQ so it's less likely to run out of spots in that way. But, regardless, it's still better to have it open in this way than not have it open at all.

(also, I recommend joining some FB groups, especially for MK holders, even if you aren't one. People will often give away VQ spots in those groups, because they have to leave the park early or it conflicts with something else they have planned. So if you don't get a VQ spot on the day you're there, check those groups)

And if they made HMH a ride you had to pay $25 to ride one time, a whole lot of other people would be furious about that. That is a very high capacity ride, and ILL would be an even more blatant money grab than Genie+ and regular LLs are. This is a no-win situation for however long it takes to get the new physical queue open.

I get that it's unfortunate that it has to be this way currently, but hopefully everyone will get the chance to ride it at least once if they want to. Like others have said, HM/HMH is a much higher capacity ride than others that have used the VQ so it's less likely to run out of spots in that way. But, regardless, it's still better to have it open in this way than not have it open at all.

(also, I recommend joining some FB groups, especially for MK holders, even if you aren't one. People will often give away VQ spots in those groups, because they have to leave the park early or it conflicts with something else they have planned. So if you don't get a VQ spot on the day you're there, check those groups)
When does the VQ open? When the park opens?

We don't know yet. Nothing has been announced.

When they did them for ROTR, MMRR & WS, they usually did one at 7:00 am that you could book when outside the park, and one at 1:00 pm. People are assuming that will be the same this time, but nothing official yet.
Thanks. Never used the VQ before.

I’m with you, Lisa-I’d much prefer a VQ than paying for all my family to ride on top of paying for Genie+. I don’t think we’d ride more than once a day anyway. Maybe if I was there by myself I’d feel differently.

How are those transferable?

How are those transferable?

I've never done it so I don't want to give wrong information, but it's really just a screenshot that shows your window is open or something like that. I know it must work at least, because people were doing it a lot during MMRR opening last year and nobody was complaining that it didn't work. There were posts on the groups every day and they were legit. I feel like there's a barcode once your window opens, but I don't fully remember. People transfer unsed MEPs all the time too and they do that by just sending you a screenshot of the barcode.

I get that it's unfortunate that it has to be this way currently, but hopefully everyone will get the chance to ride it at least once if they want to.
I highly doubt it. People are disappointed in large numbers on a daily basis with Tron and Guardians when they are unable to secure VQs. I think everyone is underestimating the draw and the sheer number of people wanting to ride HM during the overlay. The VQs will not be sufficient for all guests to ride.

I've never done it so I don't want to give wrong information, but it's really just a screenshot that shows your window is open or something like that. I know it must work at least, because people were doing it a lot during MMRR opening last year and nobody was complaining that it didn't work. There were posts on the groups every day and they were legit. I feel like there's a barcode once your window opens, but I don't fully remember. People transfer unsed MEPs all the time too and they do that by just sending you a screenshot of the barcode.
Interesting. We use magic bands so it would be a bit different for us.

Interesting. We use magic bands so it would be a bit different for us.

It would not work with your magic band for sure, you'd have to scan the screenshot on someone's phone.

I highly doubt it. People are disappointed in large numbers on a daily basis with Tron and Guardians when they are unable to secure VQs. I think everyone is underestimating the draw and the sheer number of people wanting to ride HM during the overlay. The VQs will not be sufficient for all guests to ride.

I know next to nothing about WDW and their VQs. Disneyland is a different beast altogether. I've always been lucky and been able to secure one each time I tried. But, I'm sure that's not everyone's experience. I definitely don't underestimate the draw of HMH (I don't understand it personally as I prefer the original HM, but I've seen the lines every year and they continue to baffle me). But, I do think it may be a little easier than ROTR was due to how many people they can put in that building at a time. I just think there's really no other choice that they have right now. No place to put a standby queue. ILLs would make most people furious. Not opening the ride until whenever the queue is finished. None of these are winning solutions, IMO.

That's exactly it. The same thing happened during the ROTR VQ. People just screenshot the VQ barcode and send it to other people. I don't believe there's any way for CMs to verify the person or ticket on check-in at DLR - they're just checking to see if the code is valid.

It would not work with your magic band for sure, you'd have to scan the screenshot on someone's phone.

I know next to nothing about WDW and their VQs.
Tron and Guardians both have traditional VQ and an ILL option. In my opinion that’s the best scenario. VQ for those that don’t want to pay and ILL for those that do. We always ended up purchasing ILLs because VQ were so hard to get. Some days we were lucky and other days we had our ILL to fall back on.

Maybe it’s possible they will have and ILL option for HM but just have not announced it yet.

I’m a little confused by this-capacity is capacity regardless of how people access it. If they can fit a (made up number) of 20,000 a day and they give out 20k VQs or let 20k people into a standby, it’s same number of people.

Keep in mind - TRON and Guardians (Epcot) are two low-capacity attractions. (Slinky Dog is right there, too.) HMH has at least twice the capacity of those rides - it's a churn-and-burn like Pirates.

Disneyland's daily average attendance is roughly 50,000. Haunted Mansion's hourly capacity is about 3200, which would math out to about 50,000 in a sixteen-hour park day (8am-midnight). Statistically-speaking, barring significant downtimes, that should yield a spot for every guest. (And there will definitely be guests who won't want to ride it.)

I'm hoping that they'll enforce return times, unlike Guardians (Epcot). Given why they're doing the VQ, I think they'll have to. That'll spread ridership throughout the day, pushing more people to ride first thing in the AM when it normally might have a short standby line (since people are usually off riding the bigger-ticket rides at rope drop).

But it's apples and oranges compared to WDW.

Tron and Guardians both have traditional VQ and an ILL option. In my opinion that’s the best scenario. VQ for those that don’t want to pay and ILL for those that do. We always ended up purchasing ILLs because VQ were so hard to get. Some days we were lucky and other days we had our ILL to fall back on.

Maybe it’s possible they will have and ILL option for HM but just have not announced it yet.
I can never rule out Disney doing something for money, but I would be surprised. They've already announced that it'll be VQ-only.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest