One property or Two?

MickeysArmy6

Earning My Ears
After doing the math, we are going to purchase DVC resale instead of direct through Disney. We are looking at having 250 points. Is it better to purchase all the points in one vacation area or split up the points between properties so we have two "homes"?

what do you mean "better?"

buying 250 pts in one contract is easier to buy and easier to manage and also cheaper (both in price per pt and lower closing costs).

smaller contracts go for slightly more per pt - that's a negative now and possibly a positive later.

but if you buy separate contracts you can sell or will them separately down the road.

if you buy 150 pts at BLT and 100 pts at BCV, you would have access to booking either BLT or BCV at 11 months out (BUT you cannot combine pts from both contracts until the 7 month window - at 11 months out, you only have 150 BLT pts to book BLT or 100 BCV pts to book BCV.) that is great for some people - you can book BLT one year and then take a shorter vacation at BCV the next year (alternating which contract you use pts from)...but it is a little bit more of a hassle to keep track of.

We have 2 home resorts, with the same UY. And yes they are a little more to handle, but we make 2 trips a year and stay different places then our home resorts. But if you buy 2 smaller contracts for 250 points at 1 resort, make sure you get the same UY on them. its a whole lot easier.

I agree with the same UY if you buy different contracts.

I know some people have no problem managing their multiple contracts with different UYs but I think if you are just starting out with DVC and basically learning the ropes as you go, you should not make things so complicated for yourself.

After doing the math, we are going to purchase DVC resale instead of direct through Disney. We are looking at having 250 points. Is it better to purchase all the points in one vacation area or split up the points between properties so we have two "homes"?

It's better to buy at the resort(s) where you love to stay just like you buy a house or a car that you love and that you have taken out for a test drive.

:earsboy: Bill

We have contracts at two resorts (OKW & BWV) because we wanted to have two Disney experiences and always be able to book those at 11-months. OKW for the relaxing atmosphere and BWV for the proximity to EPCOT and DHS. We plan to alternate contracts every other year. I don't see where it should be difficult to manage. If we purchased all our points at OKW, we'd always be waiting on the 11 MO window to try and get close to EPCOT. We're no longer willing to roll the dice on that.
There are many factors that you should consider... and everyone's factors are different.
Personally, I'd rather have two (or three) smaller contracts than one larger one.

We own 150 points...100 at AKV and 50 at HHI.

We use banking and borrowing and use 150 points per year...
...Year 1: No HHI points (already used)...use 100 current and 50 borrowed AKV points...stay at AKV...
...Year 2: Use 50 current and 100 borrowed AKV points and stay at AKV/WDW...bank 50 HHI points...
...Year 3: No AKV points...use 50 banked, 50 current and 50 borrowed points to stay at HHI...

...Lather, rinse, repeat:goodvibes...

We love the value rooms at AKV so the 11-month window there is a must. Right now, we travel mostly in April (spring break/Easter) and early June. Those are also quickly becoming very popular at HHI so we wanted the 11-month window there as well.

Personally, I would opt to buy at 2 different homes. That way, you will have the 11-month window at 2 properties, even if it is only every other year. I would just make sure that the one's you select are truly the one's you want. When we originally bought in, we loved OKW and plan to stay there in the future. But, we also knew that the value rooms at AKV are scarce, unlike the 1BR's at OKW which are generally very easy to get at 7-months. That sealed our decision to spend the extra money and buy at AKV.

Good luck with your decision:goodvibes.

Thanks! I think one contract is our way to go then. Hopefully we will be making an offer soon!
Depending on the home resort and specifics, the price difference for 2 vs 1 contract for 250 points is likely to be in the $1500-2000 range but could be as much as $3K. I'd only buy separately in this situation for 2 situations, two different home resorts where I needed the 11 mo priority or 1 high and 1 lower cost contract where the savings more than outweighed the extra costs. IMO, it's rarely a good choice to pay that much more simply for future resale or gift options. Now once you're looking at a large enough points total, the difference is decreased, esp once you get to around 400 or more total points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!