On the Floor and Out the Door!: a 17 day HalloChristmas, RunDisney, MNSSHP, HHN, MVMCP adventure! new 2/8!

Attempt #1 to ride Hagrid's

Very reluctantly, I left Diagon Alley in search of food that would appeal to everyone. We ended up going to Fast Food Boulevard in the Simpsons area, just because it had the biggest variety of options.

If you're unfamiliar, it's basically a Simpsons' themed food court with one big line that you wait on to get food from 4 or 5 (I think?) different places. The good news is generally it's easy for everyone to find something they want. The bad news is that the line is usually long because it's one line for so many places.

Today was no exception. The line was long and we were all getting hangry. I went into the Universal app on my phone and discovered they had their own version of mobile ordering that I didn't know about previously.

giphy.gif

(I'm not really sure what's happening in this gif but it's a little creepy and made me laugh hysterically)

The mobile order process went smoothly enough and we hopped out of line to find a table. I went to the pickup window before it said the order was ready because I had a question and I found a very nice TM being harassed by 4 young men trying to get beers filled in their refillable cups. They were claiming to only speak Spanish and the poor TM was trying to fill orders and also find someone to come speak to them in Spanish but eventually they walked away laughing and said (in perfect English), it was worth a try.

giphy.gif

My question was- when we mobile ordered, the only drink that came up as an option to order was Buzz Cola which I guess is a drink in the Simpsons (never watched the show :scared:) and it was described basically as a cherry flavored Coke. Mike and Steve were fine with this but I really just wanted Diet Coke. So I just wanted to know if I could have that instead of the Buzz Cola and the TM was so frazzled that he was confused about why I ordered Buzz Cola if that's not what I wanted. Finally, I got him to understand that the app didn't give me another option and all was well and i got my Diet Coke. I hope that young man had a break coming soon!

Apparently, I only took a picture of my own food but I ordered the Basket O' Shrimp combo with Kurly fries.

As you can see it was given to me with tater tots at first but the TM just gave me an order of Kurly fries in addition.

Mike got the Krusty Burger combo with Kurly fries and Steve got the Buffalo Chicken Arms combo with Kurly fries. Everyone enjoyed their deliciously unhealthy fried lunch and was ready to enjoy some more fun afterwards.

Our plan was to go over to Islands of Adventure to try our luck at getting on Hagrid's. I wanted to take the Hogwarts Express over but the wait time was over an hour so we used the good old-fashioned walking path.

On our way out of the park, we saw Beetlejuice outside meeting and meeting him was on my must-do list so I was very excited!

He was on the run inside because the Horror Makeup Show was starting. I think Steve said he'd seen it but Mike and I hadn't so we decided to watch it.

There was no time to hang out in the lobby since the show was starting soon but it looked cool from the glance we got.

I had no idea what to expect from the show but - oh my, it was HYSTERICAL. I was laughing almost the whole time. One of the lines they used was "This isn't Disney- I don't have to be nice to the kids" :rotfl::rotfl: I was dying. If you're going to Universal, I definitely recommend seeing it!

The gift shop afterwards had all kinds of Universal Monsters props and merchandise.

There was also Gremlins merchandise and I almost bought one of the stuffed ones because they're so cute and we loved this movie as kids!

We also saw this Stranger Things set-up which I'd seen on social media as something that was open only during HHN so I told Mike we had to come back.

As we continued towards the exit, Steve pointed out the UOAP lounge.

They sell AP exclusive merchandise there as well as Coke products and there's some limited seating. They also give out a pin and a magnet each month so we went in quickly to pick up the pin (the magnets had run out).

We also passed the building where the Bourne Stuntactular will be opening soon (I hear they're having TM previews now).

I'm excited to see something new but it seems an odd choice to me. I remember going with my dad to see the first Bourne Identity movie when I was in middle school and had a random day off that my other siblings didn't have so it felt really special lol but um... that was a really long time ago. :rotfl:

I was very excited to see the ice cream truck outside the Killer Klowns HHN house! It was my favorite scare zone last year so I couldn't wait to see it as a house this year and of course had to pose for a picture with the truck.

Our last stop before leaving for Islands of Adventure was at Shrek 4-D because we walked past and saw no line.

Some of the posters in the line poked fun at Disney and this one particularly entertained me.

The show is fun (similar in concept to the Philharmagic and It's Tough to Be a Bug) except the seats move too so it's a little more thrilling. It doesn't make our must do list but I like Shrek and will do it once a trip especially with no wait.

We stopped for a picture on our way out to use our photo package for the first time.

At the time we didn't know it but we quickly learned that the Universal photgraphers have 4 standard poses they run you through: normal, peace sign, thumbs up and a hug. The novelty wore off quickly.:rotfl:

Then we walked over to Islands of Adventure and entered the park just before 4:30.

We veered right towards Seuss Landing and found some construction walls.

Mike was making fun of me because I watch vloggers all the time and he asked what the construction walls were for and I said I didn't know lol. But afterwards, I saw Tim Tracker had posted a video from Universal around that time and said he didn't know why they were there either so I made Mike watch it too lol.

Soon enough we were entering Hogsmeade. :love:

It was crowded but not the worst I've ever seen it.

We got to the entrance of Hagrid's at 4:35 to a posted 90 minute wait.

This was the lowest we'd seen it all day and Mike's nephew said usually 90 minutes means closer to 45-60 minutes so we figured now was the time to try.

The line had some gorgeous views of Hogwarts castle. 🥰

Of course, I took the opportunity to pose for a picture which apparently irritated the people behind us. Everyone else was doing it and it's a 90 minute line, I don't think waiting an extra 30 seconds to walk is going to make a difference. #justsaying

Hagrid's hut was in the queue which was cool but I think it'd be even cooler if they'd made it that you walk through the hut in the line!

We were moving almost constantly and were feeling good about our wait.

I loved this wall with Buckbeak on it!

Things were going well until about 5:20 which Steve said we had one more hallway and one more room before the loading area. And we stopped moving. We were indoors and had no way of seeing what was happening outside but eventually an announcement came that the ride was delayed for weather.

We decided to wait it out since we'd already invested almost an hour and we were pretty close. The weather radar looked like the storm should pass quickly.

So we sat. And waited. We played endless games of heads up.

We made friends with the groups of people in front of us.

Little by little, people left the line and we moved up a little.

And then it was 6:30. We were all getting cranky in line and debated what to do. If we left the line at this point, we got nothing for all the time we wasted in line. If Universal dumped the line, we got passes to come back another day to the ride. If the ride reopened, we'd be on in about 15-20 minutes based on Steve's estimate.

In the end, we decided to wait it out. The park was closing at 8 pm and we had dining reservations back at Disney at 8:25 that we pushed back to 8:45. In our wait time, we learned that they had to wait 30 minutes after a lightning strike to run the ride again. Finally at 7:30, there was lightning in the area again and the call was made that the ride couldn't reopen again that day and we'd all get Ruby passes to come back another day. I felt terrible for the family in front of us with two young girls who waited it out until about 7:10 and decided to leave the line and ended up with nothing for all that time.

However, the group that had been in front of them was 5 DCP girls who had rode already and said they wouldn't make it back to Universal before the end of their program and they gave us their passes also! It was so sweet!

Storybook Dining

Unfortunately, we now had to book it out of the park to get back to our hotel, change and drive over to Disney. Staying in the park this late had not been part of the plan!

I did stop for one picture of Seuss Landing all ready for Christmas (even though it wasn't even Halloween yet).

The next hour was pretty chaotic especially since someone whose name rhymes with Tike made a wrong turn on Disney property and took us to Epcot :scared: but we made it to Wilderness Lodge exactly at 8:45!

Mike dropped me off at the entrance so I could check us in and he and Steve went to park the car.

I checked in for our reservation and as it would turn out, we shouldn't have rushed because they were running behind so we took some time to show Steve around the Wilderness Lodge.

I almost bought this shirt in the gift shop but I felt like a phony since I'd never actually stayed there lol.

We walked down to Roaring Forks because we had one snack credit left to use and I got this adorable Campfire Cupcake!

I had it last year and it was good so I was happy to package it up for a future snack.

Then we walked outside.

Happily Ever After had started at MK so we walked down to the boat dock to see if we could see any fireworks but there were too many trees to see much but there was a speaker playing the soundtrack.

And we got to see the geyser go off!

We went back inside to hang out and were finally called for our reservation at 9:15.

If you hadn't guessed yet, we were doing Storybook Dining. A little back story which will sound familiar if you were following my PTR but we did the dining plan for the first 2 nights of our trip once we decided on a split stay. Mike wanted to try the Storybook Dining but I'd done it in February when I came with coworkers and had a terrible time. Since it was a good use of a dining credit and I'd heard there were some menu changes, I agreed to try it again. Then once Steve decided to join us for our Universal days, we asked if he'd be interested and were shocked when he said he'd come since he's not into Disney or characters at all! I was also shocked that I had issues changing the reservation to 3.

Even though we waited so long past our reservation time, the experience was better as soon as we sat down. Our waiter was wonderful and attentive from the minute we got there.

Some menu pictures:

The characters all came around right at the beginning of the meal, I'm assuming because it was so late already but I actually prefer when they all come right at the beginning or end so it worked out well for us.

Steve actually agreed to pose for character photos with no arguments and we were shocked!

Snow White was still so perfectly bubbly and i really give her props for that since it was 9:30 pm.

We asked Grumpy how he got roped into working this late and he indicated that's why he's so grumpy :rotfl:. I feel your pain Grumpy!

After all the character fun, our appetizers arrived!

When I'd eaten here previously, the soup was a squash soup that i didn't like at all so I was pleasantly surprised to see it'd been changed to mushroom bisque.

I never ate at Artist Point before it was a character meal but if this is the mushroom soup they had on the menu, I now understand why it got such rave reviews! It was so delicious, I was tempted to ask for more lol.

This appetizer was also different from my previous dinner. This was described as Hunter's Terrine
(Chicken, Black Truffle, Stone Fruit Preserve, House-made Pickles). It was good but not my favorite but Steve really liked it.

Previously it was a hunter's pie with similar ingredients. When I was here in February, we questioned the manager about it because it was on the menu as containing chicken but it didn't look or taste like chicken and he told us they mix a little bit of pork in with it. I was shocked they'd do that without having it on the menu because of people with allergies or other dietary restrictions and he said "Well it's a really small amount" :sad2:). Needless to say, I was happy to see the change.

The final appetizer is Wicked shrimp cocktail (Soy, Miso, Avocado, Thai Chili, Greens) and I really scored here because neither Mike nor Steve eat shrimp so I got the whole portion to myself which was great because it was delicious.

Our drinks came right after our appetizers. Mike and I both got the same cocktail, the Enchanted Apple (Skyy Citrus Vodka, DeKuyper Pucker Sour Apple, and White Cranberry Juice $14).

I thought it was delicious because it was sweet but the sour apple flavor cut the sweetness and I was very happy with it. Mike's review was "good". :confused3 Steve got a soda since he's not of age lol.

You can also see the autograph card that was tied around our napkins in the background of the picture lol.

Last time, going up to meet the Evil Queen was a free-for-all and there was always a huge line of people waiting to meet her. This time, we were instructed a card would be given to us when it was our turn.

It seemed much more organized this way.

The Evil Queen was perfectly intimidating and I really wasn't sure what to say to her. I chose the quiet and polite approach lol.

I told everyone to do an evil stare for the second picture but it seems the memo was lost on the boys.

Then it was entree time!

Mike and I both ordered the same again, the Royal Prime Rib Roast (Horseradish-Mashed Potato, Carrots, Popover, Jus).

It was so good- it was cooked perfectly and seasoned well. I think it's funny that the mashed potatoes are basically hidden in the picture lol but I liked the addition of horseradish to them. The popover really did nothing for me though.

On our waiter's recommendation, Steve got the Magic Mirror's Slow-braised Pork Shank (Celery Root Mashed, Wilted Greens, Jus).

Our waiter raved about how tender it is and how it's the best thing on the menu and Steve agreed with him. I tried a piece and it was delicious and tender!

Everyone was very happy with their meal choices and very stuffed before dessert came.

Dessert was the weakest part of the meal for me.

Working clockwise, the desserts are Miner's Treasure (Sponge Cake, Chocolate Gems, Berry Panna Cotta), Fairy Tale Gooseberry Pie (Meringue, Gooseberry) and "Poison Apple" (Dark Chocolate-Apple Mousse, Sour Center).

I liked the miner's treasure but it was basically just a cupcake in a jar lol. I didn't like the other two but that's because I don't like dark chocolate and I don't really know what gooseberry is but apparently I don't like that either lol.

Then the coolest looking dessert came- The Hunter's Gift to the Queen (Crackled Maple Popcorn, Ganache Heart).

The presentation was awesome but we enjoyed eating it too.

In the end, we all really enjoyed our meal! The whole experience, including the taste of the food, was much more enjoyable this time. I like that these "new" type of character meals exist now, where it's no low quality food and you're just paying for characters. It's also an excellent value for a one credit meal on the dining plan since it's $60 per adult, plus the alcoholic drink!

We got back to our hotel and could see some Orlando attractions lit up.

Mike asked if I'd ever go on this thing and it was a big no from me! I'll go on any kind of roller coaster but these things just seem unsafe to me lol.

And Volcano Bay at night!

We all crashed for the night, hoping for a nice, restful night of sleep so we could rope drop Hagrid's in the morning.

Next time: Do we get a restful night of sleep and do we get to ride Hagrid's?

Attempt #1 to ride Hagrid's
Okay! Here we go!!!

or... not...
We ended up going to Fast Food Boulevard in the Simpsons area, just because it had the biggest variety of options.
I've done it on the West coast, but not in Florida.
I went into the Universal app on my phone and discovered they had their own version of mobile ordering that I didn't know about previously.
Oh! Not sure I knew that. Been a bit since I was there.
a very nice TM being harassed by 4 young men trying to get beers filled in their refillable cups. They were claiming to only speak Spanish and the poor TM was trying to fill orders and also find someone to come speak to them in Spanish but eventually they walked away laughing and said (in perfect English), it was worth a try.
:sad2:
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.
What a bunch of jerks.
the Simpsons (never watched the show :scared:)
How is that possible? It's been on for over 360 years now.
Apparently, I only took a picture of my own food but I ordered the Basket O' Shrimp combo with Kurly fries.
Looks yummy! Love breaded shrimp.
On our way out of the park, we saw Beetlejuice outside meeting and meeting him was on my must-do list so I was very excited!
Cool! I can see why you'd want to meet.
He was on the run inside because the Horror Makeup Show was starting. I think Steve said he'd seen it but Mike and I hadn't so we decided to watch it.
Such a great show! :thumbsup2
. One of the lines they used was "This isn't Disney- I don't have to be nice to the kids" :rotfl::rotfl:
::yes::
I take it they use that at every show. I've been twice and it was said both times.
We also saw this Stranger Things set-up which I'd seen on social media as something that was open only during HHN so I told Mike we had to come back.
Okay, that's cool.
We also passed the building where the Bourne Stuntactular will be opening soon (I hear they're having TM previews now).
Sounds like it might be good. Liked all the movies...
:lmao:
At the time we didn't know it but we quickly learned that the Universal photgraphers have 4 standard poses they run you through: normal, peace sign, thumbs up and a hug. The novelty wore off quickly.:rotfl:
Lather, rinse, repeat.
Soon enough we were entering Hogsmeade. :love:
Both Potter-lands are just so well done.
Of course, I took the opportunity to pose for a picture which apparently irritated the people behind us. Everyone else was doing it and it's a 90 minute line, I don't think waiting an extra 30 seconds to walk is going to make a difference. #justsaying
Like... chill, people.
We were indoors and had no way of seeing what was happening outside but eventually an announcement came that the ride was delayed for weather.
Oh, no!!!
Finally at 7:30, there was lightning in the area again and the call was made that the ride couldn't reopen again that day and we'd all get Ruby passes to come back another day.
:(
Well... hopefully the next time...
they were running behind so we took some time to show Steve around the Wilderness Lodge.
You have to! Such a gorgeous resort.
Even though we waited so long past our reservation time, the experience was better as soon as we sat down. Our waiter was wonderful and attentive from the minute we got there.
Good.
We asked Grumpy how he got roped into working this late and he indicated that's why he's so grumpy :rotfl:. I feel your pain Grumpy!
:laughing:
I was pleasantly surprised to see it'd been changed to mushroom bisque.
Oh!!!
I never ate at Artist Point before it was a character meal but if this is the mushroom soup they had on the menu, I now understand why it got such rave reviews!
I've never had it either, but I too have heard nothing but rave reviews.
Mike and I both got the same cocktail, the Enchanted Apple (Skyy Citrus Vodka, DeKuyper Pucker Sour Apple, and White Cranberry Juice $14).
Like the sound of that! Yum!
The Evil Queen was perfectly intimidating and I really wasn't sure what to say to her. I chose the quiet and polite approach lol.
Playing it safe. Smart move.
Mike asked if I'd ever go on this thing and it was a big no from me! I'll go on any kind of roller coaster but these things just seem unsafe to me lol.
What could possibly go wrong???

slingshot.gif

Oh my goodness, those guys at the food counter! Why do people have to be such [redacted] sometimes?

Sucks about the long wait for Hagrids but double rerides sound great.

I'm so glad you had a better experience at Storybook Dining. It gets such mixed reviews on food which sucks because they're a really great group of characters.

Fast Food Boulevard is always so hectic!

Ahh I'm sorry you couldn't get on Hagrid's! But at least you stuck it out long enough to get passes- and extra ones!!

Sounds like a great dinner! I'm glad you had a better experience this time around!

So sorry you didn't get on Hagrid's the first time :( - dinner sounded great though! We've talked about trying out Storybook Dining in the past and if do the dining plan next time I think we will def try it!

That's a bummer about Hagrid's but I hope you still got to go back and ride! Your dinner looks amazing, we have an ADR there for April...if we get to go!

I like your shirt! I think I have a similar one, but I like the straps across the chest on yours.

I had no idea what to expect from the show but - oh my, it was HYSTERICAL. I was laughing almost the whole time. One of the lines they used was "This isn't Disney- I don't have to be nice to the kids" :rotfl::rotfl: I was dying. If you're going to Universal, I definitely recommend seeing it!

I love that show :rotfl:

I remember going with my dad to see the first Bourne Identity movie when I was in middle school and had a random day off that my other siblings didn't have so it felt really special lol but um... that was a really long time ago. :rotfl:

My friend and I used to have "Matt Damon movie nights" in 8th grade and watch them so it has been a long time :laughing: I meant to see the new(er) one that came out a few years ago, but I think Supremacy was the last one I saw. (Er I saw the Jeremy Renner one too I think but didn't like it). I used to really like the first 3 back then, but it does seem random.

Aw man, you made it so close to Hagrid's! At least you stuck it out and got the passes; even better the DCP kids gave you their's!

Happy to hear your second go at Storybook Dining went a lot better! I feel like that's a great use of a dining credit if you're on the plan, and it's nice to see such an immersive character experience.

That campfire cupcake looked really good! Definitely a perfect snack to munch on later. ::yes::

I almost bought this shirt in the gift shop but I felt like a phony since I'd never actually stayed there lol.
lol! I have a WL jacket and have looked at that shirt a few times. You just need to stay there!
pleasantly surprised to see it'd been changed to mushroom bisque.
This is like, the ONE thing that MAY get me there - that soup is divine.
I never ate at Artist Point before it was a character meal but if this is the mushroom soup they had on the menu, I now understand why it got such rave reviews! It was so delicious, I was tempted to ask for more lol.
And BTW they serve it right next door at Territory Lounge too!!!

Glad you all liked your food at the Simpsons also. We ate at Circus McGurkus (sp?) last year and OMG it sucked and also wasn't my choice :mad: If I ever need to eat quick service there again maybe I'll try Simpsons although in Dec I did Louie's and it wasn't that bad :)

I've done it on the West coast, but not in Florida.

I can't wait to see Universal Hollywood! So much sounds the same but incredibly different all at the same time!

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.
What a bunch of jerks.

Exactly. I'm so over rude and entitled people in this world!

How is that possible? It's been on for over 360 years now.

🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Actually I do know lol. My mom had weird rules of things we weren't allowed to watch as kids and the Simpsons was one of them. Since I never watched it as a kid, I never did as an adult either I guess lol.

Looks yummy! Love breaded shrimp.

Me too!

Such a great show!

It is! I'm glad I finally got to see it.

Okay, that's cool.

It was really cool once we got a chance to do it!

Lather, rinse, repeat.

giphy.gif

Both Potter-lands are just so well done.

Yesss! The Potter nerd in me is so thankful.

You have to! Such a gorgeous resort.

Exactly! I want to stay here one day and not even go into the parks.

Like the sound of that! Yum!

It was so good- and rum free!

Oh my goodness, those guys at the food counter! Why do people have to be such [redacted] sometimes?

Ugh I don't know but it makes me so annoyed.

I'm so glad you had a better experience at Storybook Dining. It gets such mixed reviews on food which sucks because they're a really great group of characters.

Me too! I was so excited the first time and was so disappointed. The second experience was everything I'd been hoping it would be so I hope this is a trend up for them.

dinner sounded great though! We've talked about trying out Storybook Dining in the past and if do the dining plan next time I think we will def try it!

It was! It's expensive out of pocket but after our second experience, I would still pay for it but 100% a great dining plan value.

I like your shirt! I think I have a similar one, but I like the straps across the chest on yours.

Thank you! I found it on a sale rack in Hot Topic!

I love that show :rotfl:

I couldn't believe I'd never seen it! So funny.

My friend and I used to have "Matt Damon movie nights" in 8th grade and watch them so it has been a long time :laughing: I meant to see the new(er) one that came out a few years ago, but I think Supremacy was the last one I saw. (Er I saw the Jeremy Renner one too I think but didn't like it). I used to really like the first 3 back then, but it does seem random.

I liked the first three too but I didn't even know they made more after those until I googled it when I realized they were making it an attraction :rotfl: :rotfl: I'll be interested to see what it's like!

Aw man, you made it so close to Hagrid's! At least you stuck it out and got the passes; even better the DCP kids gave you their's!

I know! We were so close but so far still.

Happy to hear your second go at Storybook Dining went a lot better! I feel like that's a great use of a dining credit if you're on the plan, and it's nice to see such an immersive character experience.

It is an excellent use of a dining credit! We loved it this time!

That campfire cupcake looked really good! Definitely a perfect snack to munch on later. ::yes::

It was really good! It tasted like a fancy Hostess cupcake.

ol! I have a WL jacket and have looked at that shirt a few times. You just need to stay there!

I do! I want to stay there and not even go into the parks!

This is like, the ONE thing that MAY get me there - that soup is divine.

It was SO good!

And BTW they serve it right next door at Territory Lounge too!!!

Good to know- I was hoping that was the case!

Glad you all liked your food at the Simpsons also. We ate at Circus McGurkus (sp?) last year and OMG it sucked and also wasn't my choice :mad: If I ever need to eat quick service there again maybe I'll try Simpsons although in Dec I did Louie's and it wasn't that bad :)

Yeah I ate at Circus McGurkus once and for the grinch breakfast a second time and it definitely wasn't good lol. The Simpsons isn't my favorite either but it has options for everyone. I do love the tacos from the taco truck in the Simpsons' area!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter