$$$$ on grocery

alexx

Earning My Ears
HI ALL

WE WILL TAKE OFF ON FEB 28TH TO OKW, IT IS APPROACHING.

I WANT TO KNOW HOW MUCH YOU SPEND ON GROCERY FOR A FAMILY OF 4 FOR A WEEK. WE ARE AT THE STEP TO CALCULATE THE BUDGET FOR THE TRIP.

AND ALSO, HOW LONG IT TAKES TO DRIVE FROM ORLANDO TO OKW AT NORMAL SPEED.

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INFOS

ALEX (26 SLEEPS LEFT)

We recently spent 12 days at OKW. The drive is about 30 minutes w/o any stops.

We spent $140 for groceries when we moved into the 2 bedroom. Then after a week, we spent another $30 to restock some items.

We have found by shopping at Publix, Albertsons or Super Walmart, the prices are the same or lower than at home. I see you're from Canada, so, I would guess it's about 50% more when you convert to USD. If you shop at the resort or Gooding expect to pay at least 20-30% more. The total will depend on how often you plan to eat in, and what type foods you buy.

The drive, via the south exit is about 20 minutes to OKW.
There are 2 $1 tolls on this road. The noth exit is a little longer, 30 mins or longer, traffic can be a problem. The tolls are less, 1 of 50 cent 1 of 75 cent, I think, I use the south exit now.

Have a great trip.

It depends on your family, eating habits, etc. I think we spent around $150 - $200 for a week for 4 of us. However, you should consider:
  • two of the family were 19 year old boys
  • At least one bottle of wine and some beer were included
  • it was "vacation" so we let the boys pick out more "fun" food than usual - chips, Haagen Daz, soda can really drive the bill up, and
  • we almost always needed one more bottle of sunscreen or some non-food item
I can guarantee shopping is still cheaper than than eating all your meals and the kids' snacks at the park. But as the others have said, do find the Publix, Wal mart or Albertsons. Goodings is fun, but really pricey.

We shopped at Super Walmart twice (once each week). We spent $70-80 each time for breakfast, lunch, snacks, soda, juice, water. We ate dinners out. We did buy beer, wine coolers, and Mike's Hard Lemonade too. We are a family of 4, the 2 kids are 19 & 16 1/2.

I tried the Winn Dixie this trip and found it to be very reasonable, clean and quick to get out of, they even have do it yourself scanners (I do love those!!!!!). Dee and I spent 85.00 for 5 days, and, naturally, brought stuff home (including 6 eggs, all made it, btw). We ate very well and I still have the shopping receipt if anyone needs to know anything.
I do remember:
1 gal-2% milk-1.99
12 pk. coke-1.99
NY strip steak, bone in - 4.99#
Wish they had prices like this here.

Oh my goodness - GAIL HAYFEN not shopping at the Wal??

:)

Hope you had a good trip! Are you more relaxed now?

LOL, well, Pluto, I am very flexible!!!! :) I really liked Winn Dixie.
Yes, I am more relaxed now, in spite of the problems with housekeeping. (they resolved them quite well and exceeded my expectations).
I do recommend Winn Dixie, nice place.
I really did not want to come back to CT.

Gail:

A bit off topic, but how was AKL? Did you lose much of your day transferring resorts? Was it worth the point savings?

Can't wait to read your post with the scoop,
Trudy

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest