Old Key West Resort

Wineaux

Earning My Ears
We have a 2 bedroom villa at OKW in November. What kind of feedback/suggestions can you give about that area? Favorites, things to avoid, etc.

The room layout looks good, but has anyone ever stayed in one of these? Were the beds comfy?

We stayed in a 1 bedroom in July 2001. Very, very nice, but also remote location. I would definitely stay close to main pool if possible. We didn't get much use out of the facilities because we had to ride the bus to get anywhere. We didn't have much choice as to location because DH smokes. Also, you might want to stay on bottom floor with small kids, groceries, strollers, etc. No elevators. Olivias character breakfast was very good. Not too crowded even in July, and interaction was good. Gift shop has a few snacks etc., but definitely get your groceries ahead of time. Lots of bunnies along trails, and bike riding was fun. We were right on the golf course, and it was nice to sit on the porch in the evening and watch. Have a great time (take me with you!!!)

I always enjoy the boat ride to Downtown Disney. It leaves from Hospitality House every 20 minutes. It's a pontoon boat, and only carries 12 passengers. If you like to walk, there is also a path to Downtown Disney.
OKW has 4 pools, with the main pool by Hospitality House. There is also a good size pool in the Turtle Pond area, plus 2 other smaller pools.

We have stayed frequently at OKW. Most recently we were there for 7 nights in July. We had a 2BR. It was room #1314...ground floor...building 13...directly across from the HH, a bus stop and primary pool.

It was beautifully located overlooking a golf fairway and fountain. It was a perfect location for us!

Good Luck..and have fun!:D

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I believe the caracter meal is not there anymore. The resort is setup like a condo village. If you have a car you can park in front of your room. There are several bus stops at OKW. Thay also havae activities for children at HH.

We just stayed in a 2 BR this past May. Beds were very comfy, no complaints. One little thing we really enjoyed doing was getting food from Goods to Go, they'll put it all in a bag, then walking back to our villa (and we were pretty far in #52) and eating on the porch. Boat ride to DTD, Trumbo Ferry, was really fun! And don't forget that you get a VCR in your Villa.

We just returned this week and had a wonderful time!! We were also in building 52 in a 1-bedroom. We found it to be a great location. Close to the bus stop, not too far from a quiet pool.

The bed was very comfy, the bathroom is HUGE!! Not to mention the large deck/patio. We will return for sure!! The buses ran well. The only ones that took some time were DD/Typhoon Lagoon and Animal Kingdom/Blizzard Beach. If you have a vehicle I would drive to those locations.

If you are in a 2Br at OKW ..........you may be joining DVC shortly thereafter. ;) Here is a link of OKW for you below. The 2BR are spacious with living room,kitchen,washer-dryer,living room,balcony,etc.
biggthumpup.gif

http://www.wdwig.com/g_okw.htm

The bus transportation is very good. You can take a boat to DTD beginning about noon until about 9PM (before and after you must take a bus or you can walk, but it's a bit of a hike). There are several quiet pools that you can use as well as the main pool. If you stay in Bldg 62, 63 or 64, those buildings all have elevators.

The bathroom is very big, plus you will get a jacuzzi tub as well in the master bath. In the other bath you will get a shower with a regular tub. (Yes, you have two bathrooms.)

Your full sized kitchen will have just about anything you need to prepare a meal except the food. Your full sized refrigerator will hold any food you purchase.

Olivia's has some very good food, but no character breakfast any more. That was discontinued over a year ago.

Also, you will have a full sized washer and dryer, so you can go home with a suitcase full of clean clothes. Just bring your own detergent and fabric softener. (They do give you a one load box of Tide when you check in.)

You will either have a golf course or water view (no parking lot views here) or a combination of water view/golf course view.

You can go fishing in the canal (they even have special fishing trips you can sign up for at the Community Hall).

You will love OKW.

We are DVC members and have stayed at OKW (our home resort ) for years...our personal favorite locations are in the Peninsula Road area or Millers Pond...both are close to the main area. Lots of people like the Turtle Creek area also. None of the units are terribly far from a pool or a bus stop. A car is handy if you are in bldgs over 27 if you want to use the community hall/dock/recreation stuff much, although you can ride the bus. It is an excellent location for kids...all kinds of room to play outside, ride bikes, scooters, etc.

Bedding is fine...the queen size beds in the second bedroom are pretty high...my elderly mother has a hard time getting in and out of them and when the kids were little they had to get a running start!! But otherwise quite comfortable. The sofa beds in the living rooms are the most comfortable ones we have ever used...wish I knew what kind they were, much better than ours at home.

Kitchens are well stocked, and the laundry is very handy. Some of the new bldgs (built when they moved the Commodore House a couple of years ago) do have elevators, but the rest do not... I think all the elevator bldgs are in the low teens (14,15 or 16 I think)...nice to have the elevator, although we noticed ,ore bus noise when staying over there last spring.

You will LOVE the resort....have fun.

Some of the new bldgs (built when they moved the Commodore House a couple of years ago) do have elevators, but the rest do not... I think all the elevator bldgs are in the low teens (14,15 or 16 I think)...
The buildings with elevators are large numbers; 62, 63 and 64. They are very close to the low teen buildings, so I can see why someone would think they were also small numbers. The Commodore House was the original DVC tour/model area and when OKW was sold out, they no longer needed it there anymore. They tore it down and built Building 62 and then added 2 more buildings across the street from it.

OKW is my home resort as a DVC member and I love it! The two-bedroom is my personal favorite. They are beautifully decorated and very spacious. The jacuzzi in the master suite is a wonderful treat! There is virtually everything there you could wish for.....complete kitchen (if you choose to do any cooking other than quick breakfasts ;) , spacious bathrooms, washer and dryer, balconies to enjoy the sunrise/sunsets (and fireworks if you're lucky). Meals at Olivia's are very pleasant (we especially enjoy lunch there) and the boat rides over to the Marketplace are a great way to relax and avoid some of the bus crowds. We have always found transportation to be very good....except for minor waits mid-day. There are four pools, including the "main" pool near the Hospitality House.

I think you will enjoy your stay there....it is a wonderful resort. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter