OKW and accessibility?

DJBounce

DIS Veteran
Hello, we are in the beginning stages of planning our next trip for early Jan 2005. We are leaning towards OKW for a 2 bedroom. We are a family of 5, with our 8yo daughter in a wheelchair. We hope to be able to rent points. The size of the villas are very appealing. I know only a few buildings have elevators, so what are our chances of getting a first floor room? We plan on driving a majority of the time, so bus transportation isn't an issue on this trip. How is the accessibility for the Hospitality house?? Inside the room, we don't need handicapped accessibility. Tiffani is able to manuever herself around the room without her chair. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

I don't have time to write much, but here's a beginning of info for you. OKW is our home resort and it is THE BEST (at least IMHO) for getting around inside the room with a wheelchair. You won't have any problems with space for her to get around in the room with the wheelchair, if she wants. You probably won't even have to move any furniture out of the way. It's that big.

When the reservation is made, the person making it needs to state you need first floor or building with elevator FOR MEDICAL REASONS. That is very important because they fil those requests first, before other general requests for the same thing. You should see those words, or similar, on your confirmation. They only guarantee if your ask for a wheelchair accessible room, but we've been DVC members at OKW for 11 years and have only had a problem once, the first year we owned when we arrived after midnight and did not have our request listed as a medical request.

OKW is very accessible. It is our home resort as well. The 1 & 2 bedrooms are spacious and I don't see any problem in maneuvering a wheelchair in them.
As Sue M said when you make your essies tell them it is a medical need. We always request a first floor unit because my friend has difficulty with steps. We usually arrive early in the day so we haven't had a problem. When we travel with my Mom who has a heart condition we ask for a first floor for Medical Reasons.
We are off to OKW next week and I have rented an ECV for my frined who is having hip and knee problems and I know that the ECV will fit in the room very well!

We first visited WDW and stayed at OKW as non DVC members. Within the year I had joined DVC as OKW was such a positive experience.

OKW is very accesible and pretty and friendly and quiet and SPACIOUS and and and....

sue
(DS in lime green wheel chair - don't forget to say hello if you see us!)

Thank you so much for your responces! OKW seems like a wonderful resort and we are really looking forward to staying there!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter